PDA

View Full Version : Don't let facts get in the way.....

allthecoolnamesarego
13th Oct 2013, 10:33
For years now I have heard (and repeated) stories that are legendary in the Aviation community.

The thing about these stories, is that they often turn up with different names/places/years etc. and this got me thinking, 'Is there any PROOF to these stories. Which version is the 'real' one?'

Many years ago, my old RAAF CO told me how he was flying a C130 Hercules from Australia to India. He was on HF trying to get clearance into India's airspace. His request was going un-answered until he put on an accent and made another transmission.

Clearance was granted along with the comment from ATC "Aussie, when you land we are coming to the aircraft, and one of you had better be black!"

He finished the story with, "when they came to the cockpit and saw me, they all laughed as the Air trafficker said "you are black, just like me!"".

Since that time, I have heard the same story about a Qantas SO, a fighter pilot and one or two others.

Another classic is the story of a BA 747 running off the runway (somewhere) and after being asked by ATC "Speed bird, what are your intentions?" Replied, "I think I will retire to a small farm in Devon."

These and a thousand others are great yarns, but, does anyone have any confirmation, any facts or 'proof' to the varsity of these stories?

I though that my CO telling me (directly to my face) his story was proof enough, but hearing so many versions gives serious doubt to that (plus if his lips were moving....)

So, this is a long winded way of asking for stories, and if at all possible, being able to give the facts behind them. It would be fantastic to know, or, perhaps it might be a case of "why let the facts get in the way of a good story":)

SgtBundy
13th Oct 2013, 10:43
If you go through this thread:

atc-humour-merged (http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/59309-atc-humour-merged.html)

You will see so many rehashed stories where everyone has heard it from someone else, or swears they were there when it happened. But there are also plenty of good yarns that seem to come from original sources.

allthecoolnamesarego
13th Oct 2013, 10:50
SgtBundy,

Thanks, didn't know about that thread. In only two pages of reading, Have already heard most of them before....Still would be good to have some confirmation though:)

Exaviator
13th Oct 2013, 20:30
Many years ago an old sailor said to me, "Son, if you are going to spoil a good yarn by sticking to the truth, I ain't going to tell it to you."

That advise still holds true to day! :hmm:

LeadSled
14th Oct 2013, 01:39
allthecoolnamesarego (http://www.pprune.org/members/114105-allthecoolnamesarego)

Re. the story of the accents and India, it has a foundation, and involves Qantas, certainly not the RAAF and not clearances ---- as, to this day, controlled airspace that requires a clearance is of very limited extent in India.

The Qantas Captain, well known for his antics, was saved from severe embarrassment by his navigator ---- who was legally "Indian", born in Calcutta, and it was the "Indian" navigator who fronted the enraged local bureaucrats, who settled down when they found there actually was an "Indian" on the QF flightdeck.

Tootle pip!!

PS: No, I am not going to name the names, although I did know all the blokes involved, none of whom had a permanent suntan.

DBTW
14th Oct 2013, 01:49
But then I have heard the Indian story first hand from the RAAF man who was indeed of the right skin tone to get away with it, and who claimed to be the captain of the Hercules! :)

LeadSled
14th Oct 2013, 15:24
DBTW,
In that case, if true, it has happened twice.

Given the fact that an RAAF C-130 over India would have been an extremely rare occurrence until relatively recent years, the likelihood is the RAAF "story" happened years after the Qantas incident occurred, in the 1960s.

Another point of difference would be that the Indian on the Qantas flight deck, a navigator, did not have any suggestion of a permanent suntan, quite the contrary --- but he was, nevertheless, legally Indian, including speaking several of the local dialects where he grew up.

Note my comment about clearances -- you do get clearances in uncontrolled airspace, which, at the time, and last time I looked, a year or so ago, includes virtually all upper airspace and the airways system over India.

Tootle pip!!