PDA

View Full Version : Flying finished at Gutersloh

Blue Bottle
11th Oct 2013, 14:55
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/end-of-british-military-flying-in-germany

Such a great station...

1.3VStall
11th Oct 2013, 15:57
It was a great station - memories or Goering's Room and the Kellar Bar. What will happen to the station now?

Onceapilot
11th Oct 2013, 15:58
More than that, seems this is the end of permanent British military flying in Germany.
Quite an event IMO!

OAP

fantom
11th Oct 2013, 16:09
Ah, the chairs in the Bruggen SHQ with swastikas... who got that set, I wonder.

goudie
11th Oct 2013, 16:18
Just finished reading the biography of AVM John Howe. 'Upward and Onward' by Bob Cossey.
AVM Howe was a one time Station Commander, RAF Gutersloh. It's a jolly good read.

Tankertrashnav
11th Oct 2013, 16:39
You mean 19 and 92 Lightnings arent there any more ? :{

Great weekends tanking them on Friday and Monday, and ourselves Friday night to Sunday lunchtime :ok:

newt
11th Oct 2013, 16:49
What a shame!! Had the best days there in the early 70's Loads of flying and drinking far too much beer!

Where will it all end?

Wonder if we can get back all the stuff we paid for after we broke them at dinner nights?:ok:

ex-fast-jets
11th Oct 2013, 18:25
'twas even better during its Harrier era!

Best tour of my life - despite the odd moment which was not something to remember fondly.

Lovely Station - great flying - excellent social life.

I visited the place last year - and it really wasn't the same under Army control as it had been under RAF control.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

SilsoeSid
11th Oct 2013, 20:14
My brother was at Gutersloh tech'ing on the 4 Sqn Harriers; then as life's paths weave their way, I was there flying Gaz & Lynx.

Happy days for us both during our different 'Gutersloh days' :ok:

langleybaston
11th Oct 2013, 20:46
and the Met. presence has been reduced to a single adviser to the army until they put the lights out and throw away the key. My melancholy task in the 1990s was to pull our people out of Wildenrath, thin out JHQ and start the run down at Brueggen, Laarbruch and Detmold.

I KNOW we were a golden and very fortunate generation,

VictorNavrad
12th Oct 2013, 19:13
A Germany towline was a highly sought after sortie at Marham, it meant you had a weekend at Gutersloh. Managed several visits over my years on Victor tankers but without any doubt the best was the weekend we managed to be there for the summer ball. The Marham summer balls were fantastic but the Gutersloh ball was better, more like a Roman orgy of food wine and women.
Perhaps my memory is not as clear as it could be! I recall one Monday getting airborne to tank some lightnings but our frequency was in use by some USAF flight passing flight plan details to the controller. Having waited several minutes to get a break, our captain lost his patience and pressed the transmit to utter " Fu*k off Yank ". By return the ground station replied " station calling say again" Our man responded instantly with " You too cloggie" Silence fell for a few moments and we made contact with the fighters.

BEagle
12th Oct 2013, 21:17
Sad to see the end of flying at Gut...

Did EX. BOLD GAUNTLET there when I was on F-4s and it was an excellent week. Flying was dull (apart from 'paying a visit' to the Eder and Möhne Dams on the 40th anniversary of OP. CHASTISE...:E), but the social life was generally excellent! On one occasion, a SSAFA sister took a shine to one of the FAF Mirage pilots with whom we were having a beer and flung her arms around him. He simply put down his beer, took his cigarette out of his mouth and placed it butt end down on the bar, then disappeared down to the Keller bar with her. A few minutes later, he re-appeared having clearly DCO'd, picked up his beer, replaced his cigarette and carried on his conversation... Quelle sang froid! Vive le sport!!

Several trips there in later years in the FunBus doing double IRTs and beer runs - always excellent.

There is no way it can have had the same life during pongo times - but I'm sure they enjoyed it too in their own way.

newt
12th Oct 2013, 21:33
Sorry Bomber it was much much better in the Lightning days!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Coochycool
12th Oct 2013, 21:37
Apologies for my digression but does anybody have any idea when the Pongos move out and they finally lock the gates?

Considering a job there but I'd like to be assured there'd still be at least some semblance of life about the place, or whether I'm being sold a dead duck.

Cheers

Cooch

Blue Bottle
13th Oct 2013, 07:53
Gütersloh Princess Royal Barracks – to be vacated by the end of 2016.

http://www.sce-web.com/_files/users/12/356B18DEC47C4BE44AD3C73605E578E6.pdf

Coochycool
13th Oct 2013, 10:54
Much appreciated BB :ok:

Talk about the wind of change...

AtomKraft
14th Oct 2013, 01:40
As a young squaddie in 1978, I joined Pegasus GC at Gut.

Anyone remember Bob Bickers?

matkat
14th Oct 2013, 07:11
Was on the Puma and Chinook servicing flight (PCSF) 1982-83 and deployed with 230 Sqn great times been back to visit a few times but as previously said not the the same, just the memories.

KG86
14th Oct 2013, 07:46
Ahh, Goering's Room.

We had a number of great events in that small room but....

On one occasion, the MD of Boeing Helicopters was visiting 18 Sqn. We decided to have a lunch in Goering's Room, to show him how well preserved it was. He entered the room, looked around, and promptly walked out again! During the Second World War, the MD had flown B17s over Germany, and had lost hundreds of colleagues at the hands of Goering's pilots. He was outraged that Goering's Room was kept as a shrine to a war criminal, and would not enter it again.

It just goes to prove - one man's preservation of history is another man's disrespect to the dead.

OafOrfUxAche
14th Oct 2013, 08:16
VictorNavRad:

:D:D:D

Motleycallsign
14th Oct 2013, 08:49
IIRC AVM John Howe was Staish in '73 when I first arrived there.

Rocket2
14th Oct 2013, 09:33
Atom
Bob Bickers is still going strong & can be seen at Lasham I believe.

Collia
14th Oct 2013, 09:46
Does the VIP “loo “in the TWR merit a mentioning?!

BAengineer
20th Oct 2018, 01:48
Great little video about the airfield today - rather sad to see it in its present decay as I spent many happy hours there (in the Malcolm club :ok:)

it is on Youtube so if you search for Inside The British Forces Germany Base Closed To The Public For Decades
you should find it..

MPN11
20th Oct 2018, 11:07
have one on me .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy1xv1g6eXo

NutLoose
20th Oct 2018, 12:58
Let's not forget Bruggen 14 Sqn Jag.....Bomb Dump,,,,,, and 17 Jag sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpMG3GiO3X4

NutLoose
20th Oct 2018, 13:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UfkAA6Eww

QRA and 20 Jag

NutLoose
20th Oct 2018, 13:05
What an utter waste!

Chugalug2
20th Oct 2018, 16:01
Nutloose:-
What an utter waste!

Why? These bases kept the peace in the Cold War and by their very presence prevented it becoming a Hot War. They proved also that the UK is a good friend of Europe and will remain so whatever the future of the EU might be. Their fate is far less of an utter waste to this country than the RAF Stations that closed in the UK, in my case; RAFs Oakington, Thorney Island, Colerne, Lyneham, and Fairford.

MPN11
20th Oct 2018, 18:09
The past is a distant place. These places were of their time, not this one. Yes, in common with many I regret their passing, but they existed for a purpose THEN ... not NOW.

NutLoose
20th Oct 2018, 18:32
Nutloose:-

Why? These bases kept the peace in the Cold War and by their very presence prevented it becoming a Hot War. They proved also that the UK is a good friend of Europe and will remain so whatever the future of the EU might be. Their fate is far less of an utter waste to this country than the RAF Stations that closed in the UK, in my case; RAFs Oakington, Thorney Island, Colerne, Lyneham, and Fairford.

Chug I mean as in not repurposed.

kaitakbowler
20th Oct 2018, 18:40
Güt in the early eighties, CMC of the Sgts mess (my boss) declares that he intends to sell 50,000 tickets , at DM1 each, for the christmas draw, which he does, selling the last ticket on the night. Prizes included the usual car, cruise, holiday and numerous white goods. Following year, no longer CMC he chairs the draw committee, and declares the target to be 60,000 tickets. Target met. 2 cars, cruise, inflatable boat/outboard, and the NAFFI manager moved most of his white goods stock into the mess for the night so as tickets were sold on the night another washer/dryer/dishwasher could be bought out as the tickets were sold.

Best mess ever, a wide spread of ages and experiences. Helped me to build a brilliant contacts book.

PM

Onceapilot
20th Oct 2018, 18:51
Yes, in common with many I regret their passing, but they existed for a purpose THEN ... not NOW.

Not so sure that they should be left to totally rot. Most FW combat aircraft still need substantial runways and decent hardened protection. Just having these bases available gives lots of options for short notice deployment. They don't need full upkeep, just enough to be usable. Keeping them usable gives any potential aggressor a whole headache of targets that need covering and, if most are empty, the headache gets worse. The same tactic would be wise to use here in UK but, seems that the logic is lost on the beancounters. Go on, who thinks that BZN would survive 5 mins into any serious confrontation and, if you don't think that is possible, why do we have any capability at all? :oh:

OAP

Cows getting bigger
20th Oct 2018, 21:44
At 7388ft (2252m) Gütersloh was never a 'substantial' runway.

(Funny how you can remember pointless trivia after 30+ years) :)

MPN11
21st Oct 2018, 08:53
Onceapilot ... I agree 100% with the concept, but sadly the Treasury wouldn't see it that way.

Onceapilot
21st Oct 2018, 09:29
At 7388ft (2252m) Gütersloh was never a 'substantial' runway.

Was big enough for me! :ok:

OAP

Onceapilot
21st Oct 2018, 09:41
Onceapilot ... I agree 100% with the concept, but sadly the Treasury wouldn't see it that way.

Well, with our very expensive eggs in few baskets, they are wide open to easy targeting. Let's see, carrier/F-35-vulnerable to nuke due low collateral at sea, same low nuke collateral, possibly, for Coningsby, Marham, Lossie, and Kinloss.:oh: Brize, not hardened, soft targets all squeezed-in for blast/frag missiles. Also vulnerable to SF. :\

OAP

MPN11
21st Oct 2018, 09:51
OAP, again I agree. My time as Wg Cdr STO in MB was spent in trying to address such issues. Getting anyone upstairs interested in spending money on potential solutions was a major obstacle!

Chugalug2
21st Oct 2018, 10:38
Oops, we may have spoken in haste. With the INF Treaty now being fed into the shredder it looks as if a return to the good ole days is on the cards. Time perhaps to consider dispersing our assets once again. Now let's see, oh....wait....

MPN11
21st Oct 2018, 10:59
I'm sure I have an NBC suit somewhere in the Attic. :)

Onceapilot
21st Oct 2018, 11:00
OAP, again I agree. My time as Wg Cdr STO in MB was spent in trying to address such issues. Getting anyone upstairs interested in spending money on potential solutions was a major obstacle!

Things might have changed but, it did not seem difficult to me to have real plans to maintain the hard surfaces and hardened facilities (where they exist) as usable at say, off the top of my head, Cottesmore, Leuchars, St Mawgan, Scampton, Upper Heyford, etc..there are others. The only place I guess that might have plans today is, maybe Leeming? Just those few would double or more the target task if dispersal was used. The large aircraft should have standing plans for dispersed operations at civilian airfields. Oh yes, these plans should not be just written on paper, they need real £,£££,£££,£££ to support as a force enhancing reality.

OAP

MPN11
21st Oct 2018, 11:06
Dispersal was a large part of our 'game plan' [anyone remember V-Force?!]. However, dispersal to other airfields generates some expensive support requirements. On-base and near off-base dispersal is cheaper and arguably just as effective ... but only against conventional weapons. If nuclear gets deployed, all bets are off.

Onceapilot
21st Oct 2018, 13:55
If nuclear gets deployed, all bets are off.

Often said, is it right? Weapons up to about 150KT are really just big explosions with (usually) some nasty fallout/contamination. :sad:

OAP
​​​​​​​

teeteringhead
22nd Oct 2018, 12:04
Sorry Bomber it was much much better in the Lightning days!! Absolutely! As a mere (sic) rotary mate, the differences could be summed up thus (not my words but good ones):

If you poured a beer over a Lightning mate at Happy Hour, he's pour a beer over you.

If you poured a beer over a Harrier mate at Happy Hour, he'd tell his Flt Cdr, who'd tell his Boss, who'd tell your Boss who'd tell your Flt Cdr and you'd get a b*ll*ck*ng on about Wednesday......

MPN11
22nd Oct 2018, 13:22
Hmm ... in the Pigs Bar at Tengah (tiled floor, of course) beer got mutually poured over everyone regardless of role!

”Mr. Fong, pint of throwing beer please” ... duly served from the ever-full Tiger slops trays.

The Bar floor was hosed off at around 19:30 when everyone had gone to dinner ... ��

newt
23rd Oct 2018, 20:23
Well the only joke I know about Harriers!

” What’s the difference between a Harrier pilot and a Harrier?”

Answers on a postcard!

BEagle
23rd Oct 2018, 21:36
A Harrier stops whining when the engine is shut down?

1.3VStall
23rd Oct 2018, 22:01
What's the difference between a Harrier pilot and a 1,000lb bomb?

ExAscoteer
23rd Oct 2018, 22:06
Not all 1000lb bombs are retarded? Surely that's the difference 'tween a Navigator and a 1000lb bomb?

langleybaston
24th Oct 2018, 13:55
Re. said Harrier pilots, whilst at JHQ I overheard a description of a teenager "he is ignorant and arrogant enough to be a .............
Join the dots.

dook
24th Oct 2018, 15:33
This will get Newt back here.

http://i65.tinypic.com/ojpo44.jpg

VintageEngineer
7th Nov 2018, 17:39
I have fantastic memories of GUT in the late 80's, with all those paid camping holidays.
Güt in the early eighties, CMC of the Sgts mess (my boss) declares that he intends to sell 50,000 ticket. . .
PM
Two anecdotes on Christmas Draws:
1. In the Officers Mess, with a massive sum of money as the first prize, the Padre was selected as an honest man to pull out the winning ticket. He pulls out his own . . . . . . . .
2. In the Sgts Mess, the top prize is a car. The draw commitee decides to speed things up on the night by drawing tickets beforehand and putting them in envelopes to be opened later. The final envelope is opened to reveal . . . . 2 tickets. Neither ticket holder would compromise and in the end the Sgts Mess had to provide each one with a car.

It's only Me
7th Nov 2018, 19:49
Ah, the Padre...

Nice fellow. Always willing to join in and take a beer. Short arms, long pockets.

It was ironic that he won.

Me

jindabyne
7th Nov 2018, 20:09
Wonderful shot Dook!

Pity they were all fairly useless, operationally; good sports cars though.

langleybaston
7th Nov 2018, 21:00
Wonderful shot Dook!

Pity they were all fairly useless, operationally; good sports cars though.

This is surely a shot of 74 squadron, were they ever at Gutersloh? My boys were 19 and 92. Perhaps it was a huge detachment or exchange?
Either way, orgasmic shot
Time for a sherbet

Innominate
7th Nov 2018, 21:55
I think 74 disbanded before Lightnings were painted in such a scheme. The device on the tails seems to be that of 92 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._92_Squadron_RAF

langleybaston
7th Nov 2018, 22:24
Thank you, I believe you are correct ..... I thought the tail device was a pussy cat.
Clearly the promise of a sherbet deranged me.

VintageEngineer
8th Nov 2018, 18:46
Ah, the Padre..Always willing to join in and take a beer. Short arms, long pockets.
[QUOTE=It's only Me;10304808]
Yep, that's him. He certainly didn't spend his winnings buying rounds.