PDA

View Full Version : Migraines

Easy226
7th May 2002, 21:11
I recently passed my class 2 medical with no problems. The doctor asked me weather i had any migraines before. I had two migraines when i was about 15 (im now 17) in two consecutive days, but i have never had one since. At the time i never used to wear my glasses and the doctor thought that this could have been the cause. The caa doctor didnt put it down and gave me the medical as i had not had any recently.
What i was wondering is how strict are the caa about issuing the class one medical with migraines. I know i dont need one yet, but i am looking into the future. Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

gingernut
9th May 2002, 16:17
Question your doctors diagnosis.
We all get headaches, and it doesn't sound as if there is anything unusual about the pattern of headaches you described.
I think that your doc. may have used the term "migraine" as a broad descriptor. It doesn't sound as if you have too much to worry about from what you have described. (I doubt you suffered "true" migraine.
Good luck.

Easy226
9th May 2002, 21:54
So if i do go and have the class one medical and they ask me what do you suggest i say.Im not thinking about having it right now as i am only 17, but when i do take one will they query it??
many thanks

Bird Strike
10th May 2002, 00:15
To me, too many misdiagnosis of migraine seem to be made! I have so many friends with supposed 'migraines' diagnosed by GPs and subsequently saw neurologists only to be told that they just had a bad headache, some from stiff neck, and even slow carbon monoxide poisoning from the faulty fireplace!

If anything, go to a neurologist (if necessary, pay for it so that you don't have to wait for ages on NHS) and see what he says.

Easy226
10th May 2002, 06:44
SO can you find a neurologist at any hospital?Will he be able to see if you have ever had a migraine before??

gingernut
10th May 2002, 08:41
Take it easy, Easy.
Of course you cannot lie at your medical, but as I said, question this term "Migraine."
Do some research at your local library into what a "Migraine" actually is, and ask yourself if this is what you actually suffered.
As I said, everyone gets headaches, even CAA medical examiners. Are yours any different from their's?
After 2 days of headaches, I would think very carefully before consulting a neurologist.
Remember, doctors will find something wrong with most people if they look hard enough !
Question the term "Migraine" and use a medical textbook (eg Clinical Medicine by Kumar and Clark) to explore the likely diagnosis.
Good luck again!

pulse1
10th May 2002, 09:15
I can confirm from bitter experience that you should never use the word "migraine" unless you are 100% certain that it is. If you are not certain, call it a headache.

I suffered about four days of headaches and my doctor prescribed medication for migraine (Migril) which certainly cured the headache. After using migril for 15 years I found that I could not get a Class 2 medical because I was using migril. As soon as I stopped taking it I started to get headaches again. Then, through my AME, I discovered that migril contained caffiene and the penny dropped. I stopped the migril, started the day with a cup of coffee, and have hardly had a non alcohol induced headache ever since.

Once my doctor assured the CAA that I was no longer using migril or any other pain killer, I was given a Class 2 medical. I don't know that I would have been given a Class 1 though.