PDA

View Full Version : Here's a strange thing

Mac the Knife
7th May 2002, 20:54
Windows 98SE is a strange beast and here's a strange thing.

Had been fooling around hacking icons and making new and silly ones. All of a sudden Windows Explorer starts crashing (EXPLORER has caused a page fault in USER32.DLL). Reproducible. Heyho, time for the the C:\WINDOWS clone file. Whizzo, OK for a bit - then starts doing it again. Bizarre - everything else seems to be working OK. DR Watson not helpful. System File Checker says OK. Restore a couple of likely candidates. No improvements. Tear out hair and curse Gates. Fiddle for ages - Mrs Mac not best pleased (you know the scenario...)

Eventually realise it only happens when I'm looking at the Icons folder. Eventually realise that Explorer only crashes when it tries to display certain icons. Delete offending icons. End of problem. Clue was that Irfanview, though it didn't crash, failed to display the offenders.

Now all I have to do is undo some of the fiddling and pacify Mrs Mac. Waste of two evenings. I never realised that Explorer could crash if it tried to display a malformed icon file (where they came from I dunno). Anyone have any comments/similar experiences?