PDA

View Full Version : MOONEY Aircraft to China....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
9th Oct 2013, 08:37
From today's AvWeb (USA)...

"Mooney Sold To Chinese Company": Report

Mooney Aircraft Company has reportedly been sold to a Chinese company, and indications are the intention is to resume production, build aircraft components and service the used aircraft market, mainly in China and Asia. Meijing Group, a Chinese real estate company, expected to close the deal on Tuesday and finalize the sale sometime in November, according to CRI.com, a Chinese news Web site. The Web site quoted an unnamed Meijing executive as its source. The Web site says the U.S. government's Office of Foreign Investment signed off on the proposed deal on Oct. 2. After-hours phone and email messages to Mooney's Kerrville, TX headquarters were not immediately returned. There was a hint of a revival of the storied planemaker when it unexpectedly showed up at AirVenture Oshkosh this year, as we reported from the show.

At the time, Mooney officials attending their modest booth were circumspect about resuming production but they did assure AVweb that all certifications had been maintained and that the existing fleet was being properly supported. According to cri.com, Meijing Group is looking to diversify. It's based in Zhengzhou, which has been designated China's first air economic zone. "Since then, [Zhengzhou] has been on a fast track of transitioning from a railway-pivoted economy to an aerotropolis," the Web site reported."

To accompany Cirrus, Continental Engines, and who else..??
I did read about others, but I've forgotten just who... (Its me 'oletimers'..)

Anyhow, to 'resume production, build aircraft components and service the used aircraft market, mainly in China and Asia'...seems like Mooney spare parts are assured.

'Made In China'.....Just like my 'U-Boats'.....

Cheers:ok:

Jack Ranga
9th Oct 2013, 09:31
Griffo, come on mate, mooney, they can have it. They actually paid for the rights?

Jabawocky
9th Oct 2013, 10:59
They bought Glassair and almost Beech.

Mind you I reckon the Beech thing could come around again.

Lycoming could be next. Then both CMI and Lycoming would be Chinese owned.

For all the litigation Lawyers in the USA and elsewhere think twice about the stupid, ridiculous and outright moronic cases you take against the companies that employ your children. :ugh: As each stupid case awarded for or against you weakens the fabric of society, yee shall reap what you sow. :=

I hope I am wrong......but I am realistic. :sad:

Flopt
9th Oct 2013, 12:43
That would be a bonus...my 25 yr old Royalite has had the 'richard'...

Still hard to beat for personal transport...163kts TAS [ with new engine Jaba...] @38lts/hr.

..good load capacity with easily removed back seats...

Works for my operations.

Flopt :ok:

Jabawocky
9th Oct 2013, 22:26
Yes....not bad when flogging it with a big stick Floppy!

But 33LPH (as a rough guess) would be much kinder on the engine and for the loss of only a few knots :p

I did see the Mo down at AMS the other day getting some TLC :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th Oct 2013, 00:24
AAhhh Mr Ranga....
A mate of mine flew the Mooney and I flew the PA-24 Comanche and we used to fly YSBK to the Gold Coast for a 'nice' week-end.

He used to boast that he could 'pace' me on 180HP whilst I had 250HP...both with 4POB on board.:\

He FORGOT to mention that I also had HIS LUGGAGE ON BOARD....and WE weren't 'rubbing shoulders'.....:rolleyes:

Not a big fan of Mr Mooney's product......
:}

Flying Binghi
10th Oct 2013, 01:24
Heh..:)

Them Chinese aviation 'new chums' are about to learn an old aviation adage.

How do you make a small fortune out of aviation...

Adage - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adage)

Volumex
10th Oct 2013, 02:21
Based on this and CMI, I suspect that the Chinese aren't concerned that the supply TEL is going to dry up any time soon.
I wonder if they have their own TEL supply, or maybe they don't give a rats about detonation.

Jabawocky
10th Oct 2013, 04:02
There is a solution not very far away......trust me ;)

Ultralights
10th Oct 2013, 04:52
Good old fashioned Premium Unleaded seams to be the solution.... Rotax run better on it, Jabs run better on it, and from what im reading over at VAF, the old dinosaur pistons do better on it as well. and by run better, i mean better service life, lower maintenance issues, and all the benefits that come with oil not filled with lead sludge.

the best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a large one

The Chinese might make a larger fortune, as their operations are not tied to the anchor of litigation,liability insurance, and over oppressive legislation.

Volumex
10th Oct 2013, 06:40
If the future of the Chinese aviation investments were going to depend on G100UL, they would have bought GAMI by now.

They must have something up their sleeve, they are exceptionally shrewd operators.

Jabawocky
10th Oct 2013, 12:08
Ultralights, there are big limitations on premium car fuel, none the less some can and do, and the biggest issue is actually what it is made up of in many cases.

The biggest volume users can't run on it. End of story. and the mid range should not either.

As for China, it will be a while before they have a fleet the size of NZ, let alone the USA. They will grow, but you need to be realistic.

Jenna Talia
10th Oct 2013, 15:54
Hey Griffo. You FORGOT to mention the comparison in fuel consumption :p

Jabawocky
10th Oct 2013, 22:06
That is true Jenna, but if they were running the same speeds, the Fuel burn on the Comanche would have been 40LPH compared to about 38. So I would still cal that"in front" by a true measure of success. ;)

Caveat : assuming the red knob was being used properly, it is true you could make the Comanche burn a lot more and not go much faster.

Comanche is like the Bonanza, hard to beat machines. Unless you have an :oh:

Old Akro
11th Oct 2013, 00:30
As for China, it will be a while before they have a fleet the size of NZ, let alone the USA.

Private aviation is not permitted in China. Even other Asian countries that permit private aviation still have very small fleets (eg Thailand). Lack of maintenance facilities, parts supply and airspace restrictions make it private flying difficult.

This acquisition (if it happens) will be done for other reasons. Note that Mooney are not confirming the discussions.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
11th Oct 2013, 01:59
Don't think so 'JT'..... (Hi Jab..)

I'll leave it to you to work out the 'relatives' between the quoted
180HP & 250HP...... more 'horses' means.....more horse-****....:eek:

And, at a pinch, I could still pull away from him...:p

Keep Kool...
Cheers:ok:

PinkusDickus
11th Oct 2013, 03:46
I know that earlier this year the CEO of Mooney wanted to "borrow" a late model glass equipped Mooney Ovation or Acclaim from Australia and fly it to China for use in some type of "display", which led me to think that something was afoot.

Andy_RR
11th Oct 2013, 08:10
Was he fresh out of stock at the time, Pinkus?