PDA

View Full Version : Aviation advertisements happening on Pprune at random?

Centaurus
9th Oct 2013, 01:22
Friend of mine gets many aviation related advertisements appearing at the top of each Pprune page and sometimes down the right side of the pprune pages. One such ad is a aviation lawyer advertising his contact address etc. My mate has had this for a long time and thought it was normal.

I don't get these advertisements even though he and I might be on the same page when we compare over the phone.

However how all this started was a pop up advertisement that has taken over the extreme left of my Pprune pages in the last two days. It is headed "Related Searches" and lists in column the following links:
Professional Pilot Training, Commercial Pilot Training, Aviation jobs, Aviation news, Pilot Training School, Flight Plan, Aviation Training, Flight School, Private Pilot, Flight Lessons.

There is a small cross x which when pressed gets rid of this column of ads. They soon reappear and are distracting to say the least.

Question is: Is this a new Pprune advertising policy and if so it is a pain in the neck. My phone friend has his problem with Pprune advertisements but so far he doesn't have the ads I have in the left column of Pprune. The ads seem to be selective. I don't have any ads on the top of Pprune pages - only the bugger on the left side of each Pprune page.

What is the solution to killing all these aviation ads?

Sunnyjohn
9th Oct 2013, 12:23
Use an ad blocker. Here's one:
https://adblockplus.org/en/about

le Pingouin
9th Oct 2013, 12:45
Sounds like you're using a browser with ad-blocking enabled whilst your mate isn't. Unblocked you get a couple of ads at the very top to the right of "PPRuNe", another banner immediately above the forum listings/messages & one down the right side of the forum listings/messages.

Which browser are you using?

The "related search" pop-up sounds like it might be the "webcake" thing described here:

Related search left side popup - WorldStart Tech & Computer Help Forums (http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=164665)

You may have acquired it as a side load when installing another program.

Centaurus
18th Oct 2013, 09:24
Took my computer to computer shop. They brought up Pprune on one of their computers and sure enough lots of advertisements. I was told nothing wrong with my computer and the advertisements are the result of Pprune selling advertising space often unrelated to aviation. So until Pprune owners change their advertising policy we Ppruners are stuck with being a captive audience to variety of advertisements like commercial TV. Never though I would see that happen. It didn't under the former Pprune days under Danny.

BOAC
18th Oct 2013, 09:56
It didn't under the former PPRuNe days under Danny. - oh yes it did, for at least a decade. Danny's wife looked after the advertising. For your friend, see post #2? Simples?

ruddman
18th Oct 2013, 12:06
I get them too. Annoying. Although easy to get suckered in. I just signed up to an airline that had an ad requiring a 747 captain and I'm not even a pilot.

Pay was way more then I get now moving furniture. Plus it said no experience necessary. I think...

Centaurus
21st Oct 2013, 13:02
In three minutes of browsing Pprune forums this evening in Australia the following ads came up on the screen.
3 herbs that beat anxiety
Top 5 cures for nail fungus.
Swiss aviation Training.
Click here for heart attack plan.
Flights to Ho chi minh city
Brain Training
Switch energy provider
Flight deck consulting
Finnair.

My friendly computer expert who watched these ads appearing said the advertisements definitely emanate from the pprune website - that is they are not a computer fault or virus. This view backed up by a computer shop who investigated Pprune website on an entirely different computer and saw more ads still.

While Pprune has always had a few ads and always aviation related, this is beyond a joke and HQ Pprune needs to come clean and advise readers that this is the future on pprune - take it or leave it. Or preferably rectify the bloody problem asap.

A37575
21st Oct 2013, 13:12
I seem to constantly get a pop up advertisement called "Flowplayer" that appears in the bottom right hand of Pprune pages and within a few seconds up comes a game of some ridiculous sort. It has a tiny cross that if clicked removes the ad but it pops up again within a minute or so. Ok so Pprune has to make money through ads but in the decade I have known Pprune I have never seen anything like this before.

Saab Dastard
21st Oct 2013, 13:53
Guys, the essential fact is that advertising is the only source of income that keeps PPRuNe free to use for all of us.

If there's a viable alternative I'm sure that IB would be interested in your suggestions.

For example, I have seen one enthusiast website where you can subscribe (for an annual fee) to have (among other benefits) no visible advertising.

SD

Capetonian
21st Oct 2013, 14:06
Please someone tell me what the fuss is about? I don't never see no stinking ads!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/screenshot.JPG

gemma10
23rd Oct 2013, 07:19
I am using Firefox with the following Extensions: Adblock plus 2.4, Adblock plus Pop up Addon, Ads no more, Do not track me and Ghostery 5.0.5. I never get a single ad
on any page. My pprune looks exactly like the post above. Although I dont think Ghostery has anything to do with ads, only tracking.:D

Centaurus
24th Oct 2013, 11:02
One of the more cunning advertisement techniques I see now on pprune is the use of a single word in a different colour in the middle of various Pprune individual postings. You get fooled into thinking it must be a related link to the subject being discussed. Click on the "link" and up comes an advertisement for something entirely unrelated to the subject. :ugh:

dubbleyew eight
24th Oct 2013, 11:18
thank you centaurus. now I understand why CASA is trying to kill all of aviation.
...the adverts must irritate them.:}

gemma10
24th Oct 2013, 12:47
Centaurus, Its malware in your registry and a bl**dy nuisance. The only way to rid it is to run a boot time virus check in safemode. I run Avast and it found it, but it does take ages. MBytes doesn`t touch it.

lomapaseo
24th Oct 2013, 13:05
One of the more cunning advertisement techniques I see now on PPRuNe is the use of a single word in a different colour in the middle of various PPRuNe individual postings. You get fooled into thinking it must be a related link to the subject being discussed. Click on the "link" and up comes an advertisement for something entirely unrelated to the subject

I got the same thing and it PO me at first. Then I went into my control panel and took a look at the most recent programs added "Presto" one I didn't recognized. Giggled that and found out it's malware that got by my Malware bytes shield.

Ran Malware bytes and it now found it. I then deleted it an rebooted and everything is fine now.