PDA

View Full Version : What does the panel say?

KBPsen
8th Oct 2013, 19:14
So I was on a long-haul flight that had to turn back shortly after take-off due to a technical problem. Information from the cockpit was excellent and so was the handling by the ground staff once back on the ground. We were put in a nice hotel and flights were re-booked early next morning. All in all the airline handled everything very well.

So should I ask for the 600 Euros that I am entitled to or should I be happy with being treated well by the airline and leave it at that? What does the panel say?

PAXboy
8th Oct 2013, 19:33
Whew!! that's a helluvah fine question KBPsen. My first thought is: Thank them and carry on. But then, I might think that the gift giving season is upon us ... :ooh:

Armchairflyer
8th Oct 2013, 20:08
According to this description I would probably not request the money. By contrast, I'd make an explicit point of telling the airline management (and any potential other target groups and "bystanders") why: because the handling represented quality and customer orientation instead of a "cheap and sleazy" approach.

And call me a social romantic, but I'd also insinuate the fact that it was after all the front-line staff (flight and ground crew) and not top management (and certainly not shareholders) who turned a potential frustration into an almost positive experience.

Cymmon
8th Oct 2013, 20:41
I think I would leave it as that, unless.........................

You had a booking for a hotel that was lost (whether it be one night or 2 weeks etc) and hence cost you extra money. Transfers or anything else that left you personally out of pocket.

Thank the airline for their care but just ask for ANY out of pocket expenses that you incurred after the fact. Maybe nowhere near the €600, but just to cover the loss.

If your plans weren't disrupted even after the delay, just relax and thank them.

Sunnyjohn
8th Oct 2013, 20:58
If the company pays the said 600 euros via their insurance system then I would ask for it. If they pay out of their own pocket, I would thank them and leave it at that. Does anyone know whether these events are actually covered by the airlines' own insurance policies?

750XL
8th Oct 2013, 21:18
I'd be more tempted to ask for a free pair of tickets / upgrade next time you fly, which you will be doing as the experience you had was dealt with professionally etc :ok:

onetrack
9th Oct 2013, 04:14
If you suffered no loss due to missed connections, didn't lose any valuable holiday time, didn't miss any important meetings or events - then why would you claim compensation?

The company appears to have done all the right things, and they may have a perfect acceptable reason or reasons to reject your claim for compensation.

If you suffered loss and inconvenience and additional costs due to the flight delay, then by all means seek compensation.

My partner and I were seriously delayed by a ME carrier into CAI, leaving us with a missed connection, no accommodation, no assistance, an overnight "sleep" in CAI airport (a once-in-a-lifetime experience), and very substantial additional costs in re-booking our onwards connection.
This ME airline did not advise us of our rights as required under EU legislation, when a serious delay became obvious. In addition, the management of the ME carrier involved is virtually uncontactable.

To top it all, they claim they landed 4 mins inside the 3 hr limit for compensation claims, thus trying to avoid any claims. IMO, the actual arrival time at the gate was well over the 3 hr limit. Attempts to claim compensation are being fought off.

There are airlines to fly and airlines to avoid. The ones you fly with, are the ones that treat you like a valued client with an eye to repeat business.
The ones you avoid, are the ones that treat you like an expendable commodity, and who abandon you at the first opportunity when things go wrong.