PDA

View Full Version : Tall Pilot Problems

BohemianBlue
8th Oct 2013, 11:50
Hey, long story short is that I have applied for and been rejected Commercial Pilot training in the UK on the basis that I am 6'6" tall and the height limit for certain airlines is 6'5" (6'3" in the case of BA). Is there anybody that knows of a training program that allows for people over 6'5" in the UK?

Jwscud
8th Oct 2013, 15:37
Really? Who rejected you?

I fly the 737 and am 6'4. I have colleagues taller than me, and none of us have any problem fitting in the flight deck. Height wasn't even mentioned at interviews I went to.

BohemianBlue
8th Oct 2013, 15:52
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it was CTC Wings and the specifically mentioned Easy Jet and BA as having height restrictions on all of the pilots. If you don't mind me asking what route did you take to become a pilot?

Halfwayback
8th Oct 2013, 16:19
Moving this to the medical forum on the basis that you will get more help there!

All the best

HWB

Jwscud
8th Oct 2013, 17:41
The BA stuff is clearly rubbish, as I personally know an Airbus TRI/TRE there who is 6'6. I have not flown the Airbus but he tells me it's significantly more comfortable for a day's flying than the 737 for a tall man.

I really find it difficult to understand why CTC have told you that, unless it's a restriction in any of their aircraft, or like the RAF they use it as yet another way to screen out candidates.

Megaton
8th Oct 2013, 18:42
BA stuff definitely rubbish. I'm 6 ft 4 and have flown airbus and 747 for BA. Indeed, there is a 747 training captain who's significantly taller than me. Personally, I've found the 747 to be far less comfortable than the A320 series and I had the satisfaction of explaining this to the man from Boeing responsible for the seats on a recent Seattle trip.

mad_jock
8th Oct 2013, 20:14
Maybe there are a lot of short arse instructors at CTC. And they don't like tall un's

BohemianBlue
9th Oct 2013, 09:44
Wow, thank you all for the positive responses. Being a pilot has been a life long dream and I was worried that this was a vital component I had managed overlooked until now, thankfully that does not look like the case. I will be going back to CTC with your comments and further research and correspondence I have had with other airlines regarding this and will see where we go from there. If as I suspect they hold firm on there stance can any of you offer some guidance on what to do next or the best alternative routes into the profession?

Many Thanks.

Reverserbucket
9th Oct 2013, 21:08
6'6'' is pretty average in all the Dutch airlines I can think of (that'll be KLM these days of course). Cockpits are designed around an "optimum" height pilot who will be able to reach and see all necessary controls and instruments from an "optimum" adjustable seating position and be able to see the runway environment from the "optimum" eye-level datum position etc. however as mentioned by others, modern flightdecks are not particularly limiting for taller pilots. There can be an issue with shorter individuals though.

Despite CTC quoting the Easy and BA limits, the real limitation is more likely to be the training aeroplane itself as Diamond DA20/40/42's (I believe CTC operate Diamonds?) have quite a cramped cockpit with a stick but no longitudinal seat adjustment (the rudder bar is adjustable but through a short range). Piper and Cessna types have horizontally and vertically adjustable seats but a conventional control wheel which long legs and associated knees and thighs obstruct, particularly during cross-wind landings (although the C172 is not too bad). The bottom line is that height should not be a barrier to a flying career but training may be a bit uncomfortable and some types of trainer might not be an option for you. If an airline is stating tolerances as they traditionally have, then of course that could be an obstacle to getting on a mentored or sponsored scheme but not to learning to fly. Look at other options by searching through the Professional Pilot Training or 'Wannabes' forum on this site and you'll find that there are other training providers available who will have experience of teaching taller guys like yourself (as I'm sure CTC do). Good luck!

VP-F__
11th Oct 2013, 01:21
amazing that BA can get away with it really given that in this day and age you are not allowed to be sexist, racist etc but heightist is just fine.

For what it is worth I am 6'5" and the only issue I have ever had was whilst doing my initial training at Oxford back in the mid 90's. There were three of us on the tall side and it was decided that we were too large for the T67's. The result being that the school got rid of them and bought a couple of brand new Zlin 242's.

The much greater size issue that I could see was a short round airline student who needed booster cushions to get high enough and close enough to the controls. His gut then almost stopped him from getting the yolk fully aft.

Tu.114
11th Oct 2013, 07:18
There are several guys measuring about 2m = 6,56ft flying the DH8 in my company without any problem at all. The seat is obviously well adjustable to their needs; seeing them stand in the aisle is another thing though.

Those company limits that are in force with many - not all! - airlines are probably rather due to uniform looks or even dress sizes than due to technical requirements. It seems unlikely that a 320 can accomodate a smaller range of body sizes than a, say, CRJ or ATR. Unfortunately, these limitations are killer items for prospective joiners nevertheless.

So bear in mind that the low number of free jobs is even lower for taller guys due to this rule before deciding whether or not to start training.

BohemianBlue
11th Oct 2013, 10:31
This is all very promising and encouraging stuff guys! Certainly won't be letting it stop me from perusing my dreams and if CTC stick with what they've said well there are plenty of other Pilot Training Programs more than will to take a tall man's money :)

MaydayMaydayMayday
29th Oct 2013, 12:56
amazing that BA can get away with it really given that in this day and age you are not allowed to be sexist, racist etc but heightist is just fine.

I think it's really not written in stone. I'm 1cm over their stated height limits and it was no issue at all. I seem to remember some literature mentioning that if you're outwith the stated heights they'll do a "cockpit viability" check, although they didn't make me do one.

Was also out for a beverage with an ex 744 training captain (BA) who was a good two inches taller than me. He used to squeeze in to a Hawker Siddeley 748! :ok:

Can't speak for CTC, but FTE don't seem to have any issue with those of reasonable height (although you do beat me by 2 1/2 inches!).

Edit: As it happens, CTC do currently have a cadet on the FPP who is 6'6"

Pace
29th Oct 2013, 15:08
Cannot see what moving this to the medical section will achieve unless you are asking about having your legs shortened? :E

pace

Rick777
30th Oct 2013, 04:35
I am 6'6". I have flown every Boeing from the 707 to the 777 and the A320. I have never had a problem in any of them.