PDA

View Full Version : Quick intro and 1st question

mo_bhaiyat
7th Oct 2013, 18:57
Firstly abit about me. I'm Mo and I'm a 25 year old apprentice at Airbus. I'm in my 3rd and final year and have decided that eventually I want to become a licensed maintenance engineer. Ever since I was small I wanted to be a commercial pilot but have now given up on what seems to be an unrealistic unachievable dream. Instead I will try and concentrate my efforts on giving my son the opportunity to become whatever he wants to be when he grows up. Oh and anothe baby on the way in December.

That's enough about me, now to my question. I have to write a report on EICAS. Is there any books or websites anyone recommends that I can read up info on and anything anyone thinks I must include in my report?? Also have to write about EHM but the Internet has a fair amount on this. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mo B

Tech_Log
8th Oct 2013, 14:22
Hi there Mo

Depends what exactly the report is about with regards EICAS and how long it needs to be. EICAS system (Engine Indicating and Crew Alerting System) was introduced in the Boeing 757 and 767.
Maybe include the differences between EICAS and ECAM and talk about how EICAS highlights messages in priority order (text colour changes).

Rockwell Collins website has a bit of info on the system. Otherwise Google is probably your best friend if you don't have any e-manuals available.

I doubt there is too much literature in the public domain specifically about the system, at least not much more than you can achieve through Google.

P.s - if you want to be an LAE maybe you should jump ship to an airline maintenance organisation. Would be more relevant to defect fixing and rectification than a manufacturer I'd have thought ?

Safe flying
Tech_Log

mo_bhaiyat
8th Oct 2013, 19:42
Thanks for the help, I've found most of the information I need now. In regards with jumping ship, ironically in the aircraft industry, I've not got long left to finish my apprenticeship so I might aswel see it through now. But I do understand where you are coming from and I am trying to find a route into a relevant workplace. With my circumstances I can't afford to leave until I find something else which is proving difficult until I have some modules under my belt so that is my priority.

Tech_Log
8th Oct 2013, 21:33
Thanks for the help, I've found most of the information I need now. In regards with jumping ship, ironically in the aircraft industry, I've not got long left to finish my apprenticeship so I might aswel see it through now. But I do understand where you are coming from and I am trying to find a route into a relevant workplace. With my circumstances I can't afford to leave until I find something else which is proving difficult until I have some modules under my belt so that is my priority.

No worries, is it for your essay as part of the B license ?
I can recommend a good route with someone like BA - they've been advertising for Mechanics and cabin mechanics recently. Once you're in you can do all the modules online through BA, although the only downside is a license doesn't equal promotion. There's mech's with full B1's

I did an apprenticeship so know how it is. Depends what you want to do and how you want to use your license (i.e. fix planes or do design work or go into management).

Safe flying
Tech_Log

Terry McCassey
10th Oct 2013, 02:35
Mo - Do NOT do any ship jumping until you have completed your training with Airbus. All the very best with your future endeavours and hope you find your chosen career path. Many still find great rewards in Aircraft maintenance.

VHTyphoon
10th Oct 2013, 12:17
Hi Mo, I too am studying aircraft engineering, as a student in Scotland.

I know there is a great amount of information on the 737NG EICAS (parameters and symbology) on the SmartCockpit.com website. Just search for the engines section of the 737NG. There are a whole host of useful PDFs for Airbus and Boeing specifically on that website.

I wanted to be a commercial pilot but have now given up on what seems to be an unrealistic unachievable dream

I also aspire to become a pilot in the near future, I'm intrigued as to why you have said the above?

VH

munster
10th Oct 2013, 21:27
Why do so many young engineers have a deluded ambition to become pilots. Why waste your time taking up an apprentice position if you only want to jump ship or sell your soul to Michael O'Leary.
I've been asked in the past why I don't become a pilot.
My answer is always "I could never afford the pay cut"
I'll stick to mending them!

mo_bhaiyat
10th Oct 2013, 22:19
Thanks all for the responses.

Tech_log - no it's not for the essay for the B license, it's for one of the units on the HNC called electrical systems. Funny you mentioned BA, my younger brother has just started his second year with them.

Terry - thanks for the advice, I do plan on finishing the apprenticeship, would seem a waste of time and a lot of money, mainly in fuel and car maintenance if I didn't finish it.

VHT - thanks for the link and info, I will defo check it out tomorrow when I'm abit more alert. How are you finding your studies?? I said the unrealistic and unachievable comment based on the fact I only know 2 routes into commercial piloting, private which is 80k without a guarantee of a job and the 2nd is through a scholarship which to be honest looking at the standard of applicants I doubt I would get, don't get me wrong, I will still apply if I ever see the vacancies. I also said it because of my current personal circumstances. Would make it very very difficult or near impossible to do this for what seems the near future so I've kinda given up.

Munster - don't get me wrong mate, I would happily be a LAE, I like the fact that it will challenge me daily and make me need to think and problem solve, that's the kinda guy I am, often describe as abit of a geek. I took the apprenticeship of false pretenses and was kinda mislead meaning I turned down a lot of places to do it, only to be told I was now going to do something else. Was kinda annoyed but it was too late and tbh it worked out ok in the end. The money is not the biggest factor for me when I want to be a pilot, and Ryanair would not be my choice, if wanna do long haul, having grown up with a good few pilots in the extended family and friends it just really appealed to me and I think that's just stayed with me since I was young.

Tobikan Judan
11th Oct 2013, 09:09
With regards to becoming an LAE be prepared for a long hard route! I know of 3 ex airbus apprentices currently struggling to get log book experience. 2 are stuck contracting on civvy -> MOD modifications and 1 is working for free at a local MRO. Don't forget that you need 5 years logbook experience! Airbus offers some great opportunities especially for someone that sounds so keen and enthusiastic as yourself! It never looks good on a CV when somebody has jumped ship after their company has invested so much in them!

VHTyphoon
22nd Oct 2013, 14:45
Mo - I am really enjoying my studies at the minute, just had good news today that I have passed an assessment from yesterday.

I agree that it is a very competive industry to get started in. I just hope that progressing with my aero studies helps me work towards my goal.

VH

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Oct 2013, 17:30
Why do so many young engineers have a deluded ambition to become pilots. Why waste your time taking up an apprentice position if you only want to jump ship or sell your soul to Michael O'Leary.
I've been asked in the past why I don't become a pilot.
My answer is always "I could never afford the pay cut"
I'll stick to mending them!

I qualified as a Chartered Engineer 2 years after getting my PPL, and have just kept adding both flying and engineering qualifications ever since.

I'm primarily an engineer, but occasionally get paid to fly. More to the point, the flying knowledge gives me access to some of the sexier jobs in engineering - and I do get to play with some of the best toys.

I'd also however have to take a significant pay cut to take most professional flying jobs that I'm qualified for.

G