PDA

View Full Version : seat upgrades on BA

devsan
6th Oct 2013, 13:04
hi guys
im not cabin crew or anything but I just need a bit of advice
is it worth paying the upgrade to world traveller plus??
im a big lad 6ft 3" and 22stone

to be honest im a little concerned about fitting in the seats for the flight with the family to florida in jan

any advice welcome

Tray Surfer
6th Oct 2013, 14:57
devsan,

Hello...

I am BA crew and may be able to shed some light on how the seating works, to help you make a more informed decision.

With the greatest of respect, you do sound like a larger than average built chap, and I can see why you might be a little concerned.

If I am completely honest, I don't think World Traveller Plus is going to be best for you. Mainly because, the arm rests are fixed and don't move. So, if you are quite broad around the behind and hips, then it is going to be a bit of a squeeze. Whilst the leg room may help, the width may be something to strongly consider.

Have you considered buying 2 seats in Economy? Not saying, by any means, that you need a whole 2 seats to yourself, however, the arm rests DO move in Economy, and it may prove to be more comfortable than trying to squeeze into a WT+ seat. If you call BA, you can book an extra "comfort" seat, which is the ticket price, minus the APD and some other charge (I don't work in ticketing, so don't fully understand it) so it might be worth giving them a ring to ask about it.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but I would hate someone to spend the money upgrading, to then be uncomfortable with no moveable arm rests.

TS

wowzz
8th Oct 2013, 12:44
Devsan - as a compromise, how about booking an emergency exit row. That way at least you won't have your knees sqashed into the seat in front of you for 8 hours.
I can't recall if the emergency exit seats have movable arm-rests, [although I am sure Tray Surfer will help], but if they do move, you will be in a win-win situation.
As an alternative, if you are travelling with a few family members, why not pre-book 3 of the middle 4 block of seats [eg DE & G] ? Unless the flight is full, I would have thought that it is very likely that F will not be booked, and thus you will have the empty seat next to you that Tray Surfer recommends.

Tray Surfer
9th Oct 2013, 18:22
wowzz,

Very good thought about the emergency exit seats, however unfortunately, the arm rests do not move due to them housing the tray table due to no seat in front.

But, good thought! :)

wowzz
9th Oct 2013, 21:03
Doh! Of course they don't - Sorry!
Still think it might be worth trying to get an empty seat next to you.
You also have to consider the pax next to you. Although you can move the arm-rest to give yourself more space, you are also taking space away from your fellow pax. I still think trying to book you and a companion two seats with an empty seat between you is the best option.
Good luck.

Tray Surfer
10th Oct 2013, 08:45
I would agree that it is the best route. Make sure you call BA to do this though, as the price of booking the extra seat is different, usually a lot less, than the first seat you pay for, as the second seat is not subject to the same taxes and fees, as it is being left empty etc...

Shytehawk
10th Oct 2013, 09:39
None of these answers relate to the true problem. I would suggest that a dieting programme would help.

Pilotinmydreams
10th Oct 2013, 11:20
Shytehawk - that's really unfair on the OP. For all you know he may be a Rugby player type chap and fit as a fiddle! Even if not, very insensitive!

devsan
10th Oct 2013, 12:31
Hiyas
Thanks to nearly all the replies.
For the record I'm not fat,Freddie flintoff is no bigger than me!!
The original question of the upgrade has been answered for us as our flight has no WT+ seats in a group of 4 left.
I think given my daughter being only 8 I shall do what I've always done is sit next to her and if I need to stretch my legs use the aisle. It's the leg issue that causes the most discomfort.
Seriously though thanks for the comments I do appreciate them

wowzz
10th Oct 2013, 20:56
Devsan - good reply!
I hope you and your daughter, plus everyone else has a good flight and holiday.

TightSlot
11th Oct 2013, 09:12
Have a great flight devsan - I'm afraid, like most internet forums, PPRuNe has more than its' share of discourtesy and malice, both of which are evident in the post above by Shytehawk. The thing that they hate the most is being ignored - an ideal response in this instance.