PDA

View Full Version : Carrying on Play-Doh

NWSRG
4th Oct 2013, 23:07
Folks,

Appreciate if anyone can offer any definite advice here...

Routing DUB - LHR - YYZ (Aer Lingus / Air Canada)...with 2 year old in tow. In an attempt to keep ourselves and our fellow passengers sane, an assortment of new toys will be brought along. Now, my wife has bought some Play-Doh for junior, and we're wondering if this is (a) allowable, or (b) likely to cause a problem at security. My gut feeling is that it looks too much like Semtex not to cause a problem, but it will come in original packaging, and we will be happy to have it tested at the security point.

Any advice? Not worried about the return journey...just security at DUB and LHR...

Thanks in advance!

DaveReidUK
4th Oct 2013, 23:27
Routing DUB - LHR - YYZ (Aer Lingus / Air Canada)...with 2 year old in tow. In an attempt to keep ourselves and our fellow passengers sane, an assortment of new toys will be brought along. Now, my wife has bought some Play-Doh for junior, and we're wondering if this is (a) allowable, or (b) likely to cause a problem at security. My gut feeling is that it looks too much like Semtex not to cause a problem, but it will come in original packaging, and we will be happy to have it tested at the security point.I doubt that airport security will have the ability or inclination to do a while-you-wait test for plastic explosive, so whether you're allowed to take it on board or not is likely to be at the whim of the individual who examines your carry-on - remember they have absolute discretion over what they will and won't let through. The good news is that you're unlikely to get detained as as suspected terrorist. :O

One way of looking at is whether you're prepared to write off the cost if it gets confiscated - I have no idea how much it sells for nowadays.

Another way of looking at it would be that, if you do succeed in getting it past security and on board, you may well get complaints from fellow passengers who don't like the rather powerful smell, or from the cabin crew when they see bits getting dropped and trodden into the carpet.

fergineer
5th Oct 2013, 04:04
Just don't mention to them that it looks like semtex let them say things like that.

NWSRG
5th Oct 2013, 07:57
Just don't mention to them that it looks like semtex let them say things like that.

No fears. that description was purely for the benefit of the question on Pprune! I don't think LHR security staff would appreciate such a comparison.

mad_jock
5th Oct 2013, 08:21
they do have explosive testers.

That's what the wipe things they use and then stick in the machine are.

You will be fine with it.

Its not a good toy though for on an aircraft.

If you have a tablet or android device the "kiddy doddle" app seems to do the trick for a while.

Laarbruch72
5th Oct 2013, 18:43
Play doh does look similar to explosives on an x ray screen, it comes up as an orange blob of organic matter but a lot of other things do too and there are lumps of organic in every bag, just about. The operator is looking for a combination of various components in the one bag, he may well pull your bag for a search but that's the worst that'll happen.

As Mad Jock says, if in doubt they'll subject it to explosive trace detection which takes a minute or so. No big deal.

carousel
5th Oct 2013, 19:27
Must be less in containers of less than 100ml in a sealed clear plastic bag no bigger than 20cm by 20cm, shown separately from your luggage. The word PASTE might give a clue.

cockney steve
5th Oct 2013, 21:24
calling it a "PASTE" is stretching the imagination. a malleable solid, yes.

If the smell is thought objectionable, you can make your own from plain flour, salt,water and cooking-oil, plus ordinary food colouring....it's vastly cheaper than the proprietary stuff that jobsworth will likely confiscate to recycle to his own/neighbours' /friends' children.

just me being a crabby old cynical barsteward again.

mad_jock
5th Oct 2013, 23:31
Carousel is obviously one of those types that removes crews sandwich's due the butter being a paste not in a bottle.

Go and have a look what the definition of what a paste is. Play-doh isn't a paste.

I say again though its not a good toy for on the aircraft and I wouldn't be surprised if the hosties make up some rule that they can't play with it. Mainly to save the carpets.

The SSK
8th Oct 2013, 13:43
If they can confiscate a helping of pease pudding, they can certainly confiscate play-doh.

mad_jock
8th Oct 2013, 19:25
They can confiscate anything they like. And they can miss as many things as they like as well. What is acceptable in one airport or even shift will be a weapon of mass destruction for the next.

We even had one security idiot try and take the gel seals off our headsets. And in the end we had to buy two bags so we could get them through although there was some debate if we could take them off the headsets to put them in the bag.

jackieofalltrades
9th Oct 2013, 02:47
I'm with Spicejetter. Play-Doh makes a terrible mess, and will stick to anything. I'd be majorly pissed off if I got some on my clothes. I would strongly suggest bringing other activities and toys to entertain the little one.

Davef68
10th Oct 2013, 13:30
They can confiscate anything they like. And they can miss as many things as they like as well. What is acceptable in one airport or even shift will be a weapon of mass destruction for the next.

Yesterday I came through Stansted with a pocketful of HP sauce sachets in my coat. (I'd forgotten I'd had them, I'd have put them in my clear plastic bag otherwise). Not picked up

Cough
10th Oct 2013, 20:47
I made a mistake and bought my girl a birthday present whilst I was in northern England.

I left the play doh in airport security's bin.

Dohhhhh!

NWSRG
24th Oct 2013, 22:02
Well folks, trip over.

The play-doh was in our carry-on for the outward journey (although not used, in part due to the comments on here!!) and not questioned. On the return, we just carried it in our checked bags.

As always, airport security is just non-sensical. Heathrow T1 still the worst...why not just use the full body scanner on everyone? Would surely be faster. Also, I'm still annoyed that out two year old was to be left standing on her own while mum was scanned and dad was still waiting to come through the traditional scanner. Our protests got me through to hold her hand, but the officer who gave us the nod was then taken down by his boss!

It's about time we had profiling...

Capot
25th Oct 2013, 10:11
The problem with profiling is that most of the security staff at LHR would be pulled aside for investigation...................

Am I allowed to say that?

If not, please avert your eyes from that scurrilous sentence. It is not only disgraceful, it is a dreadful example of a deeply unfair generalisation about as upright a body of citizens as you would care to meet.

Except the one who nicked my iPhone on its way through the scanner.