PDA

View Full Version : Oh, FF's SARKE! Hoe do yum tome ogg prediktive text?

Loose rivets
4th Oct 2013, 20:21
Need I say more?

It's only just started doing it. No idea how to stop it.

Tried to end text to daughter with XX. Every time, CC. She already thinks I'm senile.

500N
4th Oct 2013, 20:24
For a start, what device are you using ?

Secondly, have you been through every menu ?

A A Gruntpuddock
4th Oct 2013, 20:28
On my (ancient) Nokia you have to find the dictionary then select 'None'.

Not a mention of predictive text anywhere!

Hobo
4th Oct 2013, 20:31
Try: start another text message and while doing it hit 'options' and you may be able to switch it orft.

Lord Spandex Masher
4th Oct 2013, 20:37
LR, the two letters you mention are right next to each other.

Sure it's not just fat fingers?!

Loose rivets
5th Oct 2013, 11:00
Yes, quite sure. He's sitting here next to me and is not allowed to used my phone.:p

Loose rivets
5th Oct 2013, 11:22
Ha!

To enter text using predictive text mode – Android keyboard

From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Tap Settings.
Tap Locale & text.
Tap Android keyboard.
Tap Show suggestions and AutoCorrect Errors to select (turn on) or clear (turn off) the check boxes.

To enter text using predictive text mode – Swype keyboard

From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Tap Settings.
Tap Locale & text.
Tap Swype.
Tap Word Prediction to select (turn on) or clear (turn off) the check box.
Tap Word Choice Window to change how often word choices display.
Touch and slide the slider to the desired setting.

Well, another 40 mins of my life I'll never get back.

BARKINGMAD
24th Oct 2013, 18:42
On the Nokia, press and hold the lower right hand key, below the wxyz9 key.

It brings up a sub-menu in which you can select the &é#§èdy thing off.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Oct 2013, 07:02
I have the cheapest, unsmart mobile phone that $19 would buy, on a $10.oo pre-pay card that had lasted me most of this year, but I've gradually come to love Predictive Text, saves trying to work out - and usually getting it wrong - how many presses of the 9 key to get a Y.

If I don't like the word offered, then pressing the * key goes through a few options that the phone thinks of, and if I reject all finally says, OK, you win, spell it for me ( or words to that effect ). Having spelled it then it remembers next time and suggests it as the first option.

At the start of composing a Txt messag I can select 'Options' and decide whether or not to use Predictive or not, but from observations of friends struggling, there is no World standard, every phone manufacturer re-invents the wheel, so what works for my phone doubtless won't for yours, sorry.

SOPS
25th Oct 2013, 07:27
Also, if you are not used to using it, the secret is not to look at the word until you have finished typing it, it can help.

Capetonian
25th Oct 2013, 07:33
A friend switched off predictive texting after sending me a message that said :
Ball me as soon as possible I will be good. Lips
It was meant to say :
Call me as soon as possible I will be home. Kiss

On my vintage Nokias :
Test message > Prediction Options >Status > on/off

ExXB
25th Oct 2013, 07:55
I've come to love the predictive text on my ancient Nokia 9300. It has learned my favourite choices and has included my 'manually spelt' words into it's dictionary.

But the trick, as observed by SOPS is DO NOT look at the screen, look at the keys! You also have to know how to spell .... ;)

Andy_S
25th Oct 2013, 11:20
A friend switched off predictive texting after sending me a message that said :
Ball me as soon as possible I will be good. Lips
It was meant to say :
Call me as soon as possible I will be home. Kiss

Probably as good a time as any to direct you the following list of (allegedly) genuine predictive text howlers.

The 25 Funniest Autocorrects Of DYAC?s First Year (http://seriouslyforreal.com/funny/the-25-funniest-autocorrects-of-dyacs-first-year/)

Warning - many of them are laugh out loud hysterical......:E

Loose rivets
25th Oct 2013, 13:42
On the Nokia, press and hold the lower right hand key,

Well I'm blessed. I tried the sustained thingie on the ABC v 123 button, and got the Android keyboard menu. I supposed this phone would have been quite useful if I'd been a schoolboy and been able to remember stuff.

Then there was the bloke I posted about who didn't know what LOL meant. He was delighted when his 12 yearold son, after many months of shunning his friendly welcome home from school, started texting with LOL on the end. The father did the same to lots of people.

Trouble was, sending Lots of Love to folk suffering loss of love ones and other tragedies, was fine, but . . . Imagine the cringe moment when he found out. He did a lot of apologizing.

Capetonian
25th Oct 2013, 14:05
I was told - by my son - that LOL meant 'laugh out loud'. As I refuse to use text language or answer texts in it, it matters not a jot to me!

spInY nORmAn
25th Oct 2013, 20:09
Plenty of autocorrect howlers here: Damn You Auto Correct! » Funny iPhone Fails and Autocorrect Horror Stories (http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com)

radarman
25th Oct 2013, 20:41
Mrs r and I just went out for a meal. She Farcebooked her friends and family (using an I-phone with Spanish keyboard) that she had gone out with her husband and was enjoying some rare, pink duck. Yup! You guessed it. Electronic dictionary changed 'duck' to 'dick' without her noticing.

Loose rivets
25th Oct 2013, 21:04
Then there was that old girlfriend of yours among the recipients, that just nodded knowingly when she received the text.:p