PDA

View Full Version : Constant speed props

SirPulok
4th Oct 2013, 14:45
Hello guys,

I'm in second year of "prépa" (intensive 2 year maths, physics and engineering course) in France. I need to present a study of a mechanical system at the end of the year in order to graduate. I decided to take a look at constant speed propellers and more precisely the governors (CSU's).

I found a ton of information on the internet about the system, and I have quite a good understanding of it. But I still have a question that is unanswered:

Is there any link between the angle of attack of the prop and the propeller traction? I don't think that there is any, but I just want to confirm it with an expert. :)

Thank you very much guys!

TURIN
5th Oct 2013, 00:29
If by 'traction' you mean thrust, then the answer is yes.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Tu.114
5th Oct 2013, 17:16
It might help You to consider that a propeller blade is an airfoil just like a wing.

cockney steve
5th Oct 2013, 21:04
astu114 said, if the pitch is too coarse the blades will stall and just stir a big disc of air around.......
but, because the tip of the blade travels much faster than the root of the blade, a twist is built into it.....therefore the angle of attack varies along the blade-length.
if you imagine blades with notwist and aligned with their chords parallel to the shaft.......it would be a paddle wheel with zero thrust, would it not?

in summary,what theysaid,- YES:)

SirPulok
7th Oct 2013, 20:38
Alright thanks for explaining all this to me. All I need to find now is how to calculate the thrust in relation to the angle of attack of the prop.

Thank you! :)

bizdev
8th Oct 2013, 06:39
thrust..........or Torque

Alber Ratman
11th Oct 2013, 18:16
Torque vs blade angle.. :E