PDA

View Full Version : any advise?

skydriverusa
4th Oct 2013, 14:37
Hi everybody,
i'm new in this forum.
i just got my FAA commercial license and since that i'm not US citizen i will have to leave soon the states.
Since that i know Spanish,i was thinking to try to find a job in the The Caribbean and Latin America,but i don't know where to start.
i have a few questions about it:
-can i Work there with my FAA license?
-there is any job that i can find with only 252 hours?
-should i do the SEL commercial and get the CFI certificate before leave?would that help me more to find a job?
-any advise?

thank yoU!

BlueSkyLife
5th Oct 2013, 04:00
Almost a decade ago I was in your shoe, and its just sad to see where aviation is after that long for young pilots that cannot work in Canada or the US. Take it from me whom is a Caribbean national, and walked in your shoe. By the way, I am still not flying Turbo fan as I dreamed 10 years ago. So take the tip from me.

That said, your chances of flying a large commercial airplane have diminished by about 50% in the western world. The cayman Islands, Cuba, Antigua (Dash 8s and ATRs), Jamaica, Curacao, Trinidad and Latin America has a few options for flying turbo fan, pressurized airplanes.

Unless you have the right to work in one of these Caribbean or Latin countries, no one will even look at your resume. If they cannot find locals to fill the cockpits, then they will ask their governments to approve work permits for expats who are highly qualified and rated on the airplane they are entrusting that foreign pilot with. Trust me, there are mannnnyyyy pilots in the western world in your predicament. So dont feel your case is special.

Having an FAA license is good, which makes life easier for conversions. That said, almost every country have their own CAA license to issue, so conversions and medicals have to be done to be able to operate an aircraft registered to that country. Most countries will not convert your license unless you have a job offer, and or the right to live and work there. And, I have to say it again, no job will be offered if you are not qualified on type or have experience. So, you see, its a cat and mouse game. Remember, for you to go into a foreign country and work, they have to prove to government that there are no locals to fill the post.

Suggestion:
1. Seems a bit confusing as to why you dont have a CPL that has single engine rating on it. Anyway, you have to sort that out with your Instructor if it does not say single engine, multi-engine, Instrument rated on the back.
The FAA does each one separately, so the CFI most likely can be done in a SE, but the CFII and MEI can be done in the ME. Its Cheaper to do the CFI and CFII in a SE and then you prep 15 hours PIC ME for the MEI. If you already have the ME PIC time, then just jump right in after your CFII.
2. There are flight schools in the Caribbean region that may hire an instructor, Guyana, Barbados, St. Marteen. (Easier for Caribbean nationals and + that country has to prove no locals can fill the post.)
2A. Dont forget that there is a whole other world other than the western world, where you can work as an instructor, Asia or middle east:ok:
3. Build your flight time as an instructor.
4. Meet and greet, you never know how luck plays in the game of cat and mouse + working your way up from the small piston commercial operators if your lucky for a job like that.
5. What ever your nationality, try for a 'home run', now or later when you have 1000 hours.

It is very rare, and I could fearlessly say its unheard of, that a foreign country will hire a low timer, type rate them and give that expat a work permit.