PDA

View Full Version : Aerospace Autographs

ian.whalley
4th Oct 2013, 08:03
Flickr: ianw54's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/93885528@N03/)

Some of my Aerospace collection online (with a few non aerospace items)

vctenderness
4th Oct 2013, 08:40
Wow! Fantastic collection. Not sure how good old Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellars contributed to aerospace though.

ian.whalley
4th Oct 2013, 10:24
Thought I had everything non aerospace covered under (with a few non aerospace items)

cyflyer
4th Oct 2013, 18:52
Ian, most impressive, especially the Apollo astronaut stuff. Whow, and double whow ! Can you tell us some thing of the history of this collection ? How was it all acquired, bought from somewhere as is, or did you meet individually all of those people ?

ian.whalley
4th Oct 2013, 19:51
The collection was put together over the last 35 years or so. A lot of writing letters (before the internet), some in person, trading and swapping, and had to buy the autographs of those who were deceased.

I have manged to find all of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo Astronauts (missing Roger Chaffee), all of the Russian Cosmonauts who flew in space, and Pilots/Test Pilots from Orville Wright through to the JSF Test Pilot.

Still looking for Early Test Pilots like Geoffrey de Havilland (Jr), Mutt Summers, Gerry Sayer, George Bulman, Carl Cover, Arnold Heimerdinger and Schneider Trophy Pilots etc. I am sure they signed lots of autographs but are now extremely difficult to find.

Fris B. Fairing
4th Oct 2013, 21:27
Not sure how good old Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellars contributed to aerospace though.

By staying out of it presumably.

You could also ask the same question about that tennis chap Roland Garros :)

Superb collection Ian.

cyflyer
5th Oct 2013, 06:30
Still looking for Early Test Pilots
Do you have Alex Henshaw ?

ian.whalley
5th Oct 2013, 07:29
Yes I have an Alex Henshaw signature on a small print of a Spitfire at the top of a loop titled "Sheer Joy" by Robert Evans 2005.

cyflyer
5th Oct 2013, 09:38
Silly me, I just noticed Alex Henshaw's signature at the top of your photos page. I have Alex Henshaw's signature in 'Flight of the Mew Gull' that he personally sent me many years ago, both book and signature from him. A proud possession indeed. Which brings me to the next question. What is the value of these things ? I have never dreamnt of selling it, however sometimes I consider sacrificing it for a greater purpose if the price is right. What can I expect to get ?

Savoia
5th Oct 2013, 09:51
Ian .. Fantastico! :D

ian.whalley
5th Oct 2013, 15:01
Thank you for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.

I am no expert on the values of autographs. There are a number of variables that will affect the price. If the item is signed book, a first edition, first printing hardback with dustjacket is usually worth more than a later edition paperback. There is a signed paperback for sale atm for around $25 USD. There are a number of signed postal covers on eBay ranging from $6 USD to over $100 USD. Have a look at the price realised in past auctions which will give you a rough idea. IAA have auctions of Aerospace items a couple of times a year and would most likely have sold a Henshaw or two.

There is a signed hardback copy of "Flight of the Mew Gull" for 75 GBP on a site that I can send you details of.

Hope that helps. :)