PDA

View Full Version : BOAC Lockheed Lodestar crash 1944

mobydog
3rd Oct 2013, 10:30
I was always told that my Great Uncle Leonard Sidney Davies, born 1915, was a pilot during the war and that he crashed in Africa and was killed.
Doing some family research recently I decided to look into this.
I discovered that the aircrash involved was this one.

ASN Aircraft accident 29-NOV-1944 Lockheed 18-10 Lodestar G-AGBW (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=74211)

I think he was part of the RAFVR seconded to the recently formed BOAC and here he is, I believe, not long before he was killed.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj618/m0byd0g/Untitled-6_zpsf53a5b20.jpg

There was family tradition that he started off as a fighter pilot, and it is this
I am trying to get info on.

The London Gazette issue 35127 P.8 tells me L.S.Davies was granted temporary commission as P/O for the duration on 7th March 1941. It gives two service numbers, 61943 and 741331. I presume the former is his new P/O number.

Flight Global Archive June 12th 1941 tells me P/O 61943 Davies was wounded
on active service. My mother remembers visiting him as a young child at his house in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, where he was "in bed with a very poorly leg".

I believe this was his period of recuperation from the wound he received.

I would dearly love to discover where he trained as a pilot and what in what aircraft.
What his early wartime career entailed and what aircraft he flew 'in anger' as it were.
How he got his injuries, which, I believe, led to him giving up 'the sharp end' and flying (semi) civilian aircraft in wartime Africa, where he ultimately met his end. (I do know he is buried in the War Cemetery in Nairobi)

I know there are some amazingly knowledgeable people on this forum and would appreciate greatly being steered in the right direction.

Thanks

Andy

Old-Duffer
4th Oct 2013, 05:47
The secret to resolving this issue is the Record of Service. This will summarise the entire history of your uncle's service.

The precise way of obtaining this record has changed over the years but the veterans agency website probably has some information.

If he is buried as you state, there should be a matching Commonwealth War Graves Record for him and this can be found online by calling up and searching the site - which is very user friendly.

Good Luck

Old Duffer

mobydog
4th Oct 2013, 06:09
Thank you. I will try the avenues you suggest.
Andy

mooog1
31st Aug 2017, 23:42
Hi Mobydog/Andy

Did you ever get his service history?

I am trying to trace the crew of a Beaufort that crashed in North Devon in April 1941. The pilot was CCN Bailey and he is listed as wounded in the same paragraph as your great uncle and we have 3 unidentified members of that crew I am trying to trace. 1 did regrettably pass away the following day D H Proudman of a fractured skull, though we believe there were 5 aboard, but have no names apart from Bailey and Proudman
And believe I have found 1 other of those names as very possible involved, called William Augustus Hughes-Hughes. He certainly was in North Devon

mooog1
15th Nov 2017, 15:45
Hi Mobydog/Andy

Did you ever get his service history?

I am trying to trace the crew of a Beaufort that crashed in North Devon in April 1941. The pilot was CCN Bailey and he is listed as wounded in the same paragraph as your great uncle and we have 3 unidentified members of that crew I am trying to trace. 1 did regrettably pass away the following day D H Proudman of a fractured skull, though we believe there were 5 aboard, but have no names apart from Bailey and Proudman
And believe I have found 1 other of those names as very possible involved, called William Augustus Hughes-Hughes. He certainly was in North Devon

Its ok I have discounted him now