PDA

View Full Version : TV Begging

PingDit
2nd Oct 2013, 21:20
Beggars on the street get moved on by the police. Why have I been forced to watch adverts pleading for anything from 1 to 3 a week for various things such as Syrian poverty, Animal welfare, Guide dogs for the blind, a 'charity' to help stop girls as young as 8 being forced into marriage and two other similar charities?
If we had an option on the TV to bar these begging adverts it'd be fairer. At the moment I just feel as if the government/police/TV companies have allowed them into my home against my will!

...or is it just me?

radeng
2nd Oct 2013, 21:24
It upsets them when you respond

" Sorry, mate, this is the credit card age. I don't carry cash - or need to".

The Flying Pram
2nd Oct 2013, 21:33
...or is it just me? No, it's not.

Dushan
2nd Oct 2013, 22:38
That's why God created the clicker. Nobody forces you to watch...

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2013, 22:44
That's why God created the clicker. Nobody forces you to watch...

You don't need a clicker if you don't switch on the TV.

Like the man states, nobody forces you to watch.

mikedreamer787
2nd Oct 2013, 22:48
TV adverts you can tune out by going to the dunny
for a piddle or to get another beer from the fridge.
Its when the bastards front your door begging (or
worse - intimidating) you for funds that I get very
truly pissed off something fierce.

The Salvos are the only bunch I'll generously hand
money to. The general scrounging vermin can go
perform self-coitius.

parabellum
3rd Oct 2013, 00:30
Down here in Oz we get way too many adverts for funeral parlours offering their services or financial companies offering schemes that vary between an 'insurance' plan, (outcome guaranteed!) and a Pay now, Die Later' scheme.
Other adverts that are prolific and annoying are the ones for women's sanitary wear! If the adverts are to be believed women wet their pants on a daily basis!:oh:

Lon More
3rd Oct 2013, 06:58
It's. the thieving usury of companies such as Wonga.com and the ilk that get me "2000%APR interest FFS. In the past they'd be called loan sharks, now they're astute business men.
Then there's the ambulance chasers ....

500N
3rd Oct 2013, 07:05
"The Salvos are the only bunch I'll generously hand
money to."

+1

Nearly every exercise I went on, the Salvos would turn up
in a trusty van at some point with "refreshments" etc
and the "war" was stopped for a short while.

Will never forget when you are cold, wet and dirty
what a morale booster it is.

That's not the only reason. They have remained free from
politics unlike a lot of others - RSPCA for instance which
when I was young, everyone gave to, now I actively work
to shut them down.

Para
Agree re the Funeral Service adverts. The OAP retirement
home one's also are a bit much.

Capetonian
3rd Oct 2013, 07:12
The ones that piss me off are those showing African kids with pus and flies in their eyes and : "3 a month will feed Josiah and his family." Tragic, and I've seen it with my own eyes, but it's inflicted by the despotic regimes in Africa to which the west sends huge sums of aid.

These ads should be showing Josiah and then cutting to King X or President Y in his Mercedes limousines, his private jet, or his wife/wives shopping at Fortnum and Masons.

"Won't you help?"

Yes, take out the top levels of nepotism, theft, fraud, corruption, and abuse of power by these despots.

gunbus
3rd Oct 2013, 07:55
I'm with you all the way on this Capetonian. :D:ok:

tony draper
3rd Oct 2013, 08:07
I always hit the mute button when the adds come on trouble is for some strange psychological reason it seems to make the add break last three times longer.
:(

ShyTorque
3rd Oct 2013, 08:28
As above, I think many of these begging adverts are scams in a different form and I for one just don't get involved.

In any case, all my spare cash was sent to a poor chap in Nigeria. I think he can only afford to drive a Mercedes.

MagnusP
3rd Oct 2013, 08:54
More and more often, I now record programmes I want to watch. That way, I can skip the adverts. As for charities, we give lots of support to a local hospice, and that's about it, apart from the odd handful of change to organisations like "Help for Heroes".

aviate1138
3rd Oct 2013, 08:59
Forget about aiding the sick and dying in 3rd world countries, the main aim of these "Charities" is to pay huge sums to the faceless wonders that sit in their ivory towers in the City running the money gathering.

Organisations like GreenPuce, Fiends of the Earth, World Wildlife Farce and others

are just after the cash to line their pockets. A small sum goes to the needy. Any guesses

as to what the Pension levels are like in these charities?

etrang
3rd Oct 2013, 09:08
Why are you forced to watch? Most modern TVs come with an off switch. In fact some newer models even have a remote control so you can switch channels without getting out of your chair.

The Flying Pram
3rd Oct 2013, 09:19
Any guesses as to what the Pension levels are like in these charities? Always worth looking them up on the Charities Commission website:

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/find-charities/ (http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/)

They should all have annual financial statements listed - download the most recent (PDF), and see for yourself! Best done whilst sitting down, and a liquid proof cover placed over your keyboard...

You'll also quickly discover just how intertwined all the big charities are, and how much of the "funding" comes from the government (i.e. you and me).

mixture
3rd Oct 2013, 09:33
The ones that piss me off are those showing African kids with pus and flies in their eyes and : "3 a month will feed Josiah and his family." Tragic, and I've seen it with my own eyes, but it's inflicted by the despotic regimes in Africa to which the west sends huge sums of aid.

What the same charities that play expensively produced begging programmes on TV also carefully don't tell you is :

(a) They pay their management team excessive amounts of renumeration.

(b) They lease prime real-estate in city centre locations, in which they then expend lavish amounts of money on fit-out works.

(c) They make heavy use of private cars in their HQ country and expensive flights, putting convenience over cost. Frequently not exactly slumming it in choice of hotels either.

I'm not making it up, a & b are factual and as for c, well, let's just say I know either directly or indirectly one or two people who've worked for those sorts of "charity" organisations who have relayed details of the culture that exists within.

The moral of the story is, if you're going to give money to charity, give it to more deserving small-to-medium sized entities where you can be reasonably confident the money is going where it belongs. The charity "brands" don't deserve anyone's money, hardly any of the money goes anywhere near the right places by the time you've taken their various forms of expenditure into account.

MagnusP
3rd Oct 2013, 09:52
Agreed 100%, mixture. I suspect the big ones also sell on mailing lists, as my daughter used to give to RSPCA, and we're now bombarded with junk from PETA.

Groundgripper
3rd Oct 2013, 09:54
Advert break = natural break - it's lucky we've got two loos in the house so we can both avoid the ads.

As Magnus says, if you record the programmes you can fast forward through the ads or even, if you are lucky, press a button that jumps forward two or more minutes at a time.

What really annoys me is the charities to whom you subscribe who then employ a commercial organisation at enormous expense to phone you at regular intervals to pester you to increase your subscriptions and who don't listen when you say no. That's guaranteed to make me cancel my donations.:mad:

GG

JEM60
3rd Oct 2013, 10:00
With Capetonian all the way. Fell in love with Africa when I first visited it, but oh, how I wish that all the money went where it should go. Someone once said to me that 'being born an Englishman is akin to winning the lottery'. Having visited several African countries, I can only agree.

500N
3rd Oct 2013, 13:14
"we're now bombarded with junk from PETA."

Now there is a criminal organisation if ever one existed.

It is good to see the US charge and convict some of these
"animal charities".

OFSO
3rd Oct 2013, 14:36
If the adverts are to be believed women wet their pants on a daily basis!

Check the seats after a Justin Bieber "concert".

I do believe that women have weaker sphincters holding their pee in, so perhaps there is a smidgen of fact in these adverts.

I too bitterly resent the pictures of starving children in countries that have so many natural resources and don't use them. ITS NOI MY FAULT SO WHY SHOULD I SEND MONEY WHICH WON'T HELP THE CHILDREN ANYWAY.

500N
3rd Oct 2013, 14:53
Justin Bieber, he who gets his body guards to carry him up the Wall of China ?

:ugh::ugh:

dazdaz1
3rd Oct 2013, 15:13
I've in the past been very aware of 'muff diving' always breathing through the mouth, never the nose. Hitting 61 I look back in the past and recall (from ladies in bed on two occasions ) one pooped (solid) after vigorous sex, the other lady had a weak bowl and stained the hotel bed sheets, she blamed me!!! Washing later, my balls had the aroma of poo matter. I'll say no more about this.

There does come at ones age (as above) when thoughts about hobbies take more precedence as failed sexual acts. Believe me I've had more ladies working as a lifeguard back in the 70s

Just my thoughts

Daz

Evanelpus
3rd Oct 2013, 15:32
These ads should be showing Josiah and then cutting to King X or President Y in his Mercedes limousines, his private jet, or his wife/wives shopping at Fortnum and Masons.

Don't get me started Capetonian, don't get me started.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

vulcanised
3rd Oct 2013, 16:39
I think daz penned that just because he enjoyed it.

More than I did.........

mixture
3rd Oct 2013, 18:25
dazdaz1,

I know this is Jet Blast, and therefore I know the bar is set at a fairly low level in terms of content of posts but ..... :eek:

Are you sure you quite literally wanted to air your dirty laundry in public ?

Halfbaked_Boy
3rd Oct 2013, 20:21
dazdaz1,

I've had a rather displeasing day, so I feel obliged to say thank you, I enjoyed that :)

radeng
3rd Oct 2013, 20:25
One can think of ex-UK Prime Ministers who seem to be coining it to a similar amount as the usual African thieves - sorry, Presidents.......

TWT
3rd Oct 2013, 23:03
I was just thinking about breakfast.Not any more,thanks dazdaz :yuk:

Worrals in the wilds
3rd Oct 2013, 23:06
Agree, mixture. A friend did a short stint working for a charity and came away completely disillusioned :sad:. He said the level of waste and personal nest feathering was absolutely appalling.