PDA

View Full Version : We can learn from this

SoundBarrier
2nd Oct 2013, 18:44
Gentle labrador befriends shy Down Syndrome boy | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/9235572/Gentle-labrador-befriends-shy-boy)

This is why animals are so much better than people...

Mallan
2nd Oct 2013, 19:39
So true, SB. Animals give without expecting much in return.

500N
2nd Oct 2013, 19:41
It was a good story.

Dogs, some, have a lovely habit of being able to read moods
of people and if someone is down, react accordingly.

SOPS
2nd Oct 2013, 20:01
I have a son with Down Syndrome. We also have two dogs. And I can say, dogs are much better than people. The dogs seem to know about my son, they will let him do more to them, (like pull their ears), they will sleep on his bed when he is scared, like during a thunderstorm, and will let's us know if he is about to go out the door (which he can at 19, it's just the dogs seem to know that we should know)

Like I said, dogs are great, and sometimes better than people.

Matari
2nd Oct 2013, 20:02
SOPS,

Thanks for that, not sure why but that story made my day.

airship
2nd Oct 2013, 20:03
SB's link is a little slow (server problems?) - here is the direct link to the YouTube video:

Haciendose amigos! - YouTube

FWIW, I've always felt more confident in the company of non human-beings... :ok:

500N
2nd Oct 2013, 20:06
My dog was at my GF's all yesterday.

She was telling me that she had gone out the front
for a minute, unbeknown to my dog Jesse who had
come down the corridor and found the front door
partially open and had started barking at the kids
who were still inside.

My GF walked back in, tot he surprise of my dog
and she realised she was letting everyone know that
something wasn't right. I confirmed that as she does
the same at my house.

Very cluey dog.

BenThere
2nd Oct 2013, 20:17
We usually don't deserve the friendship and loyalty our dogs give us.

We have a friend couple who have a 10 year old child with epilepsy and other physical problems that make him a semi-invalid. He was provided with a specially trained dog that senses impending epileptic seizures and alerts the parents. The dog also attends the boy, Jack, in many other ways. Brings a tear to my eye, all that the dog does for Jack.

If at some point all my friends have deserted me and I find myself alone, I am comforted by the knowledge that I can go to the shelter, rescue a mutt, commit to mutual devotion, and have an unconditional friend for life.

500N
2nd Oct 2013, 20:21
Ben There.

I got mine from a pound, she was skinny, not looked after at all
but you could tell she was alert and "with it".

Now absolutely devoted to me.

I agree, as you get older, they are good company.

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Oct 2013, 20:42
No one better to have in your life than houndkind.

My boy stays with my folks when I'm away in the kangene. He does his own thing but wanders in to check on everyone every 30 minutes or so, regular as clockwork. Since my mum has had a knee op which left her unable to walk without difficulty, he's stuck to her like a shadow to take care of her. I much prefer his company to that of humans.

SOPS
2nd Oct 2013, 20:45
My pleasure Matari. Don't know what it is, but since they were puppies, they are 8 now, the dogs just seem to know that he needs extra help. And we love them even more for it,

sisemen
2nd Oct 2013, 21:34
The golden retriever that I fought out to Oz from the UK (now deceased and replaced with a mother and son Goldie's) was introduced to the spastic son of some mutual friends. He was persuaded to offer her some cake which, because of his disability, was scrunched up in his hand. Despite normally almost taking you hand off for such a treat Amber nibbled the cake out of his hand as if she knew that that time was different.

unstable load
6th Oct 2013, 18:20
Geez, my allergies are really bad tonight......:\
Thanks for the story, SoundBarrier!:ok:

fenland787
6th Oct 2013, 19:37
Agree with much posted here, dogs seem to have a 'special relationship' with humankind that other animals don't - or at least not to anything like the same degree.

When my job had me in the US for protracted periods and we lost our faithful companion of 16 years, we decided a good way of not making a long term commitment was to foster for a Lurcher rescue charity. I have to say that worked out great and our first three have now found their permanent homes.

One is roaming our field out back, probably looking for hedgehogs, the second is stretched out in front of the log-burner downstairs and the third is curled up with her head on my lap doing the 'Faithful Hound' bit as I type - but that's only because she hasn't spotted that I signed the papers....Ho hum, well.... best laid plans and all that.....

As someone once said - "I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am"

ehwatezedoing
7th Oct 2013, 00:47
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1016866_520110178060380_863932521_n.jpg
The quote for this picture:
Now that I think of it, dogs put up with a whole helluva lot of our bullshit.

kind of true...:p