PDA

View Full Version : Road landing

dfdasein
2nd Oct 2013, 14:20
BBC News - Vintage plane lands on Florida highway (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24361196)

Lon More
2nd Oct 2013, 14:32
I believe in Sweden, Germany and Switzerland a number of roads were constructed so they could be used as emergency runways in time of war.

500N
2nd Oct 2013, 14:38
I suppose that is one way of conducting a sale :O

Dak Man
2nd Oct 2013, 14:38
In South Africa, many of the highway medians are, by design, wide enough to land a Bosbok (or similar) on.

dfdasein
2nd Oct 2013, 14:52
Flying Bosbok... splat.

con-pilot
2nd Oct 2013, 16:14
They're calling a T-34 an vintage aircraft?

Dayum, I am getting old. :(

A pilot made an emergency landing on a highway in Florida, US, after his plane lost power

That is what usually happens when the fuel tanks become full of air. :p

OFSO
2nd Oct 2013, 16:17
In Switzerland one occasionally passes over a section of road with runway markings. Look around and you can see the hanger doors cut into nearby rock faces, and taxiways leading across.

Don't stop to take photographs, not a good idea.

Lightning Mate
2nd Oct 2013, 16:55
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/ontheroad_zps4193287c.jpg

Dak Man
2nd Oct 2013, 16:57
Probably struggled to exceed the speed limit.

Lightning Mate
2nd Oct 2013, 17:01
Flown it have you ?

Dak Man
2nd Oct 2013, 17:15
No, but overtook a few in my Dak ;)

SoundBarrier
2nd Oct 2013, 19:26
The vintage plane landed safely on State Road 415 after the pilot realised he was not going to make it to the airport runway.

As opposed to the road runway or car park runway or the mall runway?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Oct 2013, 19:41
The fashion show runway was the disambiguation they meant to avoid. There are, sadly, a lot more watching 'America's Next Top Model' these days than 'Wings'.

Capot
2nd Oct 2013, 19:54
in Sweden, Germany and Switzerland a number of roads were constructed so they could be used as emergency runways in time of warAs was the main road from Amman to Baghdad, just before you cross the border going into Iraq, which can be rapidly turned into a JRAF base.

I'm uncertain about whether this location was chosen as the farthest it could be from Israel, or the closest it could be to Baghdad. It is not the only such "instant base" in Jordan.

RatherBeFlying
2nd Oct 2013, 20:05
The surface may be good, but wires are hard to see. If there's a driveway, assume there's a wire crossing the road.

ORAC
2nd Oct 2013, 22:02
YELBRayrpAQ

500N
2nd Oct 2013, 22:10
Dak

"No, but overtook a few in my Dak http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif"

:D:D:D

Come on LM, even you have to admit that was a good come back :O :ok:

X767
2nd Oct 2013, 22:19
No - typical of the armchair flyers who never flew the aircraft. Never forget what an important role it played in the RAF's front line. I was there at the beginning, flying on the JCT in 1973. A great aircraft that did what it said on the tin !

sisemen
2nd Oct 2013, 22:20
The Eyre Highway across the Nullabor in Oz has runways marked at various points - mainly for Royal Flying Doctor/police etc use. It is always comforting to know that they are there - just in case!

Dak Man
2nd Oct 2013, 22:21
Jeez X767 get over yourself for goodness sake.

Is this the tin you refer to?
http://www.campusgifts.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/a/waldo-pancake-tin-crap-750.jpg

try here

www.sensaumafailure.com

cheers 500N, you obviously subscribe here

www.greatsensauma.com

500N
2nd Oct 2013, 22:23
X767

You were never into banter ?

LM takes it in good spirits and gives it back as well.

It was only a joke, Jesus, I thought you FJ pilots had thicker skin than that.

X767
3rd Oct 2013, 19:40
No. I can conduct "banter" until the cows come home, but the continual bashing of a good aircraft - particularly from those who have never had the privilege of flying it, really does become a little tiresome.
Like your tin, Dak, but I know what leaves my body, and while your illustration was amusing, it was a poor reply to a heartfelt contribution.

DType
3rd Oct 2013, 22:24
The remarkably straight and open road for some 25 miles over Rannoch Moor in Scotland had naked telegraph poles arrayed on both sides, during the 39/45 war. When a post war American tourist asked why the unused poles, he was momentarily baffled by the reply "To stop aeroplanes landing."

pigboat
4th Oct 2013, 01:06
The US interstate highway system was initiated by President Eisenhower and was designed so that straight stretches could be used as runways in times of national emergency. I forget the exact formula, but there I seem to remember that for every curve there is required to be a straight section at least a mile in length.

Lightning Mate
4th Oct 2013, 08:27
.....but the continual bashing of a good aircraft - particularly from those who
have never had the privilege of flying it, really does become a little tiresome.

Couldn't agree more.

A Squared
4th Oct 2013, 12:36
The US interstate highway system was initiated by President Eisenhower and was designed so that straight stretches could be used as runways in times of national emergency. I forget the exact formula, but there I seem to remember that for every curve there is required to be a straight section at least a mile in length.

Nope, complete myth. It's just one of those nonsense things people keep repeating. I remember asking my dDad (who was a civil engineer on the interstate system when it was first being built) He just laughed. The Federal highway administration even has a webpage addressing the myth.

No, the Interstate Highway System was not designed to be a runway. (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.htm)

Dak Man
4th Oct 2013, 13:41
Sorry fellas, that's like telling your peers that you don't like your nickname - it's the proverbal red rag to a bull.

I can almost hear the IL-38 stall warning going bezerk as it tries to keep formo. ;)

http://imgbin.me/image/WYCIEGWU.jpg

Lightning Mate
4th Oct 2013, 14:00
Er......I think the Jaguar is doing the formating.

A Squared
4th Oct 2013, 14:01
Errr, I think it was a joke.

Dak Man
4th Oct 2013, 14:04
Well done A Aquared, keep educating mate.

A Squared
4th Oct 2013, 14:14
Just trying to be helpful Dak ;)

cockney steve
4th Oct 2013, 14:27
.but the continual bashing of a good aircraft

So , exactly why was it nicknamed the "Frightening" then?
( apart from alliteration?)

Dak Man
4th Oct 2013, 14:32
Keep up Steve, :* it's Jag bashing not Lightning bashing.

Lightning Mate
4th Oct 2013, 14:55
I could relate a good story about the early days of the Lightning.

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2013, 11:33
Bellanca 7ECA plane lands on busy Californian highway in rush hour | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/04/plane-lands-on-busy-californian-highway-in-morning-rush-hour-after-pilot-gets-into-difficulties-4134149/)

OverRun
5th Oct 2013, 12:29
Written some of the book on "road runways". The Swiss do it well. Very very well. Been there many times and admired their profusion of runways (ahem I meant roads).

probes
5th Oct 2013, 18:22
Ach, back to the 'runway.
Actually bin wondering about the The fashion show runway was the disambiguation they meant to avoid. There are, sadly, a lot more watching 'America's Next Top Model' these days than 'Wings'.
would anybody really think the plane landed on that runway? :\