PDA

View Full Version : Belkin WiFi Router

OFSO
30th Sep 2013, 13:36
My wifi router is tending to drop out roughly once a day. Symptoms are that my phone and tablet lose the connection: sometimes the PC and laptop which have an ethernet cable to the router will also drop out. The solution is to unplug the router power supply, leave it a minute, replug and the router boots up - although sometimes a reset is also necessary. Then it works again.

I used InSSIder to check whether anything nearby was on the same channel: it isn't. The wifi's on the same channel are -90dB.

However the signal strength from my own WiFi shows dips from the normal -60dB down to -90dB roughly every minute, could be oftener, could be less.
Picture below says it all. Is this usual ? Because I can't believe it is !

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/IMG_20130930_150921_zps8d7bfc12.jpg

Note: the router is several years old and if it has to be replaced can anyone recommend one that's easy to set up and has been problem-free.

mixture
30th Sep 2013, 14:31
Have you checked the Belkin software is up to date ? Have you tried an alternative router to the Belkin ?

Never had a problem with Netgear routers, but my current favourite is the new Apple Airport Extreme. Very compact vertical form factor, excellent chipset, faster than most other consumer grade routers I've used, no external power brick needed (just a standard figure of eight jobbie).

I wouldn't recommend touching Billon, D-Link and one or two other manufacturers with a bargepole.

riverrock83
30th Sep 2013, 15:10
Don't know why it happens, but various routers I've had have done this from time to time (including my current one from Sky) and it seems to get worse over time. Once it starts to happen regularly I've just bought a new one (or have changed broadband provider and got another free one). I think its a symptom of them getting old. I wonder about some component overheating or something... Perhaps give it a go with an air blower or something (careful with hoovers due to static electricity and high power settings).

Many of the routers on the market have the same chips inside them so they are all much of a muchness as far as reliability is concerned. In my opinion, unless you have an odd network setup, they are all pretty easy to configure.

Some have a button on them allowing a quick setup (standard is "WPS" but it can also be branded as "Push to Connect" or such like). If all your devices support it (most new devices do) then it makes setup pretty much plug and play.

mixture
30th Sep 2013, 15:27
Many of the routers on the market have the same chips inside them so they are all much of a muchness as far as reliability is concerned.

Sort of.

Chips are only 1/3 of the design, plenty of scope for the other 2/3 of the design to be screwed up, that's before we start talking about implementation and PSS. You even said it yourself in your prior statement "I wonder about some component overheating or something"

(PSS = Post-Sales Support)

M.Mouse
30th Sep 2013, 16:02
I have used many different makes of modem/routers since first getting broadband with most working OK but some were better than others for stability of connection and range. I now have BT Infinity but found the supplied BT router pretty awful.

Apart from poor range whenever a laptop or iPad went into sleep mode when woken it would not be able to access the network again until I rebooted the router!

A few months ago I fitted a Draytek 2830, recommended by a pal in the Telecoms business, he uses them all the time. Probably overkill in terms of capability but it is rock solid with a tremendous range.

Draytek also market the Vigor 2850n which is a vDSL modem/router meaning you can replace both the BT vDSL modem and BT's router with the one unit. I fitted one last Saturday for a friend who was suffering weak signal in parts of their large house. It cured the problem.

They are not the cheapest but I have been impressed!

Saab Dastard
30th Sep 2013, 16:29
I only have experience with Netgear and Linksys, and have found the latter to be far more reliable than the former.

Draytek have consistently been recommended here and elsewhere.

SD

mixture
30th Sep 2013, 16:37
Draytek have consistently been recommended here and elsewhere.

Yup, Draytek are not a bad alternative to Netgear, same can also be said for Zyxel.

Still prefer the Apple offering in that department these days though. :cool:

OFSO
30th Sep 2013, 17:54
The newest update for my router is dated 2006 so won't bother with that, then.

My internet arrives down an ethernet cable from the WiMax antenna on the roof. Cable goes into the Belkin router, emerges in two cables to PC and Laptop, and rubber duckie on top transmits it to devices around the house.

Capacitors in the power supply are rated MTBF 20,000 hours which I believe is 2 years 2 months, not an awfully long time.

Thanks, all.

izod tester
30th Sep 2013, 18:03
I had similar symptoms from a Netgear DG834N router which proved to be overheating. I since changing to a Belkin N+, and ensuring better ventilation around the router, I have had no further problems. The Netgear (thoroughly blown threw and sited with good ventilation) now works as a hub behind the smart TV and provides a supplementary WiFi Access Point which improves the signal for my daughters bedrooms.

OFSO
30th Sep 2013, 20:02
which proved to be overheating.

The router itself isn't hot but the power plug (abt a metre away from it) is very warm to the touch. I'd buy a replacement but as ever the problem is where ? (9v dc 1000 mA output).

OFSO
2nd Oct 2013, 15:41
I really should not mention it as it will probably go wrong again - such is the perverse nature of electronic devices - but since disabling "auto channel selection" on my router and fixing it to one clear channel it's worked OK.

(Most routers should be included in the Operation Yewtree investigations IMHO.)

MCDU2
2nd Oct 2013, 23:20
How close are your neighbours? We used to live in an apartment and sure enough when someone new moved in our wifi would drop. Soon fixed by yours truly changing the channel on our router. Other things to watch out for are new appliances in the house that could be interfering with your signal.

onetrack
3rd Oct 2013, 02:23
OFSO - I'm having similar problems with a Belkin N300. My Internet connection is ADSL2 and is nearly always lightning fast. Then suddenly out the blue, once or twice a week, the speed will drop back to the equivalent of a 56K modem.

I've found that the RJ45 connectors seem to be the problem. Some wiggling of the RJ45 connector on the connection to the motherboard, or on the router itself, will fix the problem immediately.

RJ45 connectors seems to be a particularly poor fit between male and female plugs, and a lot of RJ45's seem to often lose signal strength due to poor connections.

OFSO
3rd Oct 2013, 06:37
How close are your neighbours?

It'¡s not the neighbours so much as that free wifi is available everywhere locally - the municipalities install it in every village etc. - from our terrace I can "see" about 25 different sources. However since setting one fixed channel it's been OK.

R45 connectors - good tip. In contrast the WiMax internet feed seems very reliable.

Keef
5th Oct 2013, 22:00
I'm the family Internet fixer. Most have bought Belkin (cos it's cheap) and had problems, so called Dad/Grandpa/Uncle. Some years ago I bought a job lot of Netgear DG834s (eBay to the rescue) and have installed five of them with consistently good results. The only failure was when favourite niece's telephone pole was struck by lightning, and I think I can forgive the Netgear for objecting to that.

Before Netgears, I went from Belkin to D-Link (a lot better), but still had problems because we were then at the limit of the range from the telephone exchange.

The advice I was given was "Draytek", and it was like chalk and cheese. A Vigor 2800G worked reliably from day 1, although the speed was only 2 meg or so. Draytek sent me some different firmware which improved the speed a fair bit (to about 5 meg). I'm still using that (now very old) Draytek wireless modem router, and if it dies I'll buy another Draytek. Up here in rural Suffolk, it connects at 8 meg and delivers a bit above 7 meg.

OFSO
6th Oct 2013, 08:31
Six days now and no more drop-outs. I suspect it was the massive WiFi presence in my local area causing my router to change channels frequently.

No problem with the WiMax feed. Wonder why the UK doesn't use it ?

mixture
6th Oct 2013, 09:07
Wonder why the UK doesn't use it ?

Because BT is too chummy with the government and it doesn't suit their agenda. :E

You can find WiMax in the UK if you look close enough and are in the right area.