PDA

View Full Version : Biplane over Cambridge

EGCA
30th Sep 2013, 10:32
Was in Cambridge last week and noticed a biplane flying low over the suberb of Girton. Anyone confirm what make of aircraft this was please? It was painted an allover sort of dark orange colour, looked as though it had a passenger cabin, and was single engined with what I am sure was a rotary engine.
Also saw the yellow Tiger Moth that flies from Duxford, and a Rapide, so not confusing either.

Thanks

EGCA

DaveReidUK
30th Sep 2013, 11:08
was single engined with what I am sure was a rotary engine

Do you mean a rotary engine, or a radial?

EGCA
1st Oct 2013, 13:15
Oops yes! A "radial" engine!

...are you going to tell me what it was now?

I'm no expert on these things, but could this be a Beechcraft D17S Staggerwing ?

EGCA

ShyTorque
1st Oct 2013, 13:53
Description sounds like an Antonov AN-2.

treadigraph
1st Oct 2013, 14:14
I'd go for an AN-2 as well, though Fighter Collection do have a yellow Staggerwing at Duxford - fixed gear or retractable?

A few years ago there was a lovely red Waco UKC-S in the UK - is that still about?

DaveReidUK
1st Oct 2013, 14:14
The Fighter Collection flies a Staggerwing from Duxford.

http://www.lecharpeblanche.fr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Duxford-2012-Ga%C3%ABl-Darquet-Staggerwing-G-BRVE.jpg

EGCA
13th Oct 2013, 08:42
Thanks, I am sure that is the actual plane. Much smaller than the AN2 mentioned by others, but thanks for the suggestions.

As an aside, on "Midweek" on radio 4 a few days ago the potential pilot for the aircraft, one Anne Wilson, was interviewed, she said it is like a " Cadillac" inside, presumably all coloured leather upholstery!

If the Duxford event is today, sadly I dont think there will be much flying, weather looks terrible.

Thanks again for the info.

EGCA

treadigraph
13th Oct 2013, 10:15
one Anne Wilson

Anna Walker who also does those lovely Jungmann aerobatics at Duxford.

Incidentally, TFC's Staggerwing replaced their Baron as a run-about :ok:

EGCA
13th Oct 2013, 12:55
Thanks, memory default! Anna Walker as you say.

Her life story was interesting. Brought up in South America were her father introduced her to private flying at a very early age. On moving to the UK found she had to have a "licence" to fly! Had flown for many years in South America with no licence. Then moved away from aviation until she took her CPL aged about 40, and as you mention is now an accomplished display pilot.

Egca