PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneous Landings on Parallel Runways (SNA)

NCSUCSD
30th Sep 2013, 04:09
Hello all,

Hope this is the right forum...

Today I observed something I found surprising at John Wayne airport and was wondering if it was routine or unusual. I was driving south on the 405 (which runs essentially directly past the airport) as an Alaska Airlines 737 was landing (from generally east to west). Simultaneously a small, single prop plane (initially traveling essentially south to north) made a 90 degree bank over the 405 to "land", briefly flying directly parallel to the 737. There was essentially zero vertical separation and only the distance between the parallel runways horizontal separation for the brief period of time they were adjacent. I found this surprising mainly due to the very sharp bank the smaller plane performed so close to the 737. Other drivers actually hit their brakes as it happened, so I think other people were surprised as well...

Thanks...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Sep 2013, 12:14
If both aircraft are sight of ATC separation may be reduced in the vicinity of an airfield.

de facto
30th Sep 2013, 14:39
LookingForAJob I don't know the airport layout but if the weather was nice there's probably no problem with what you saw.

The problem was that he was looking up instead on focusing on his driving:eek: