PDA

View Full Version : Dual national travelling with two passports?

Maxbert
28th Sep 2013, 09:30
I have dual nationality (British / Luxembourgish) and hold two passports (although I have let the British one expire as it is such an expensive hassle to get it renewed from here...).

Suppose I travel to a country for which I need a visa, or at least a stamp upon entry- I decide to take both passports with me (assume both are valid), but only have a visa in one of them, or an entry stamp.

My visa-ed / stamped passport gets lost or stolen. Does my valid but non visa-ed / stamped passport:

a) Help me to prove who I am and allow me to remain in the country for the duration of my stay, and subsequently leave, or
b) speed up the process of replacing the lost / stolen passport at the appropriate embassy / consulate, or
c) land me in very hot water in the visited country for not having visa or entry stamp, or
d) any other scenario?

Would you just pack a notarised copy of just the one passport in order to avoid the loss / theft scenario and not bother with the second passport, or "hang-the-expense" and get a visa in both?

Just wondering...

Maxbert

mixture
28th Sep 2013, 09:44
I have dual nationality (British / Luxembourgish)
and
Suppose I travel to a country for which I need a visa

Is there seriously much difference in visa rights between a British passport and a Luxembourg passport ?

a) Help me to prove who I am and allow me to remain in the country for the duration of my stay, and subsequently leave, or

Obviously the other passport will help prove your ID. But don't be so stupid as to assume it will give you the right to remain unless its got visa waiver rights associated with it. Your visa was placed in the passport you lost. Loose the passport, loose your right to remain since you've now got no means to prove you belong there.

b) speed up the process of replacing the lost / stolen passport at the appropriate embassy / consulate, or

Only so far as helping them ID you. Replacing passports doesn't take that long if everything is kosher and your background is straightforward. I know someone who got a passport replaced in a few days.

I think it is important to start the ball rolling on passport replacement ASAP after you become aware of the loss. It will help your cause with the local authorities if you happen to end up in a situation where they ask to see your visa.

c) land me in very hot water in the visited country for not having visa or entry stamp, or

Potentially yes. But depends how strictly your host country takes these things. Also depends if you consider yourself able to keep yourself out of trouble (and hence reduce the risk of the authorities asking to see your paperwork) until such time you get a new stamp.

d) any other scenario?

Remember that a visa is Revokable. Even if you have one, it may be withdrawn at any time.

Maxbert
28th Sep 2013, 09:49
Mixture- I doubt it, unless being part of the Schengen zone makes a difference, my question really boils down to what happens to you if you find youself in a country for which a visa is required, but cannot produce a valid travel document containing said visa or entry stamp?

Maxbert

Edit: replied before your edit- thanks, makes sense!

Maxbert

gruntie
28th Sep 2013, 09:53
Is there seriously much difference in visa rights between a British passport and a Luxembourg passport ?

There probably isn't. I think what he's on about is that, if there is, any embassy or immigration official will only visa or stamp one passport. Therefore he has another that does not have the desired entry. If the first, valid, one gets nicked, does he get into trouble for producing the second,notionally invalid, one?

mixture
28th Sep 2013, 09:53
Maxbert,

No worries.

I think it basically boils down to it depends what country you find yourself in.

If you're in North Korea or Russia you need to sort yourself out pronto.

If you're in Australia or the USA, you can probably take more time over it (don't take the biscuit, obviously !)

dubbleyew eight
28th Sep 2013, 10:07
maxbert I though mixture gave you the correct answer.
if you are in a country without a visa you will be deported.
simple.

cavortingcheetah
28th Sep 2013, 10:14
If you have two passports and enter a country using one of them then the other country,whose passport will not have been used, will accept no responsibility for you upon the assumption that you have elected for the protection of the country of the passport which you used for entry.

OFSO
28th Sep 2013, 10:18
Take both. Show the one you need entering and withdrawing, er, departing.

Re theft: two can be stolen as easily as one, so you are not changing the risk.

doubleu-anker
28th Sep 2013, 10:39
In some third world countries they don't like to see 2 passports, issued to one holder.

They are aware as you and I are, if they retain your passport it means they want you to stay. Not escape by using another passport.

lomapaseo
28th Sep 2013, 15:02
I would think that the only use of the second unstamped passport is to prove who you are.

The missing visa now days only requires a computer look-up for validation.

I would still expect you to get stopped when exiting the country and at the minimum get a full body cavity search after an enema.

BenThere
28th Sep 2013, 15:57
Carry a color copy of the passport(s) data page, always. Keep the copy in a separate place and save it on your data device so it can be reproduced on demand.

If you lose your passport document, immediately report it to your local embassy/consulate and replace it.

wings folded
28th Sep 2013, 16:04
Can't see what the point is. If you have one, two or thirteen passports, if the one which contains your entry visa is stolen, the others are not relevant. You declare the theft/loss to the appropriate authorities locally, and the consular officials of the state who issued the passport.

Depends where, can be dead easy, and can be a nightmare.

The twelve other passports may just help in proving who you are, but will in all probability raise more questions.

reynoldsno1
30th Sep 2013, 00:04
I also have dual nationality - had to travel on an emergency recently and found my home country passport had expired (3 weeks before). Tried to contact immigration prior to departure, but it was a weekend.
Departed on other passport and entered/departed desination no problem. Arrived back in home country and caused a degree of bemusement to young immigration officer. I had my expired passport with me, and then had to wait whilst they figured out how to bypass computer system. 20 minutes later it was all sorted.

unstable load
6th Oct 2013, 19:32
I hold 2 passports from my Motherland, both legal and valid.
I left on one and returned on the other, through absentmindedness,
and the total befuddlement of the Immigration Officer was hilarious.:hmm: