PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Thread Titles

Wholigan
27th Sep 2013, 12:13
Not a biggie, nor really a criticism, but I just wonder what it is that causes people to start threads and give them cryptic titles, which means that punters actually have to open and read them before they can find out what the heck the thread is about.

I have to say there are times when I wish I hadn't bothered to open it! (Sadly though, in reality I have to read them all)

:E;)

probes
27th Sep 2013, 12:39
which means that punters actually have to open and read them
:rolleyes: :cool:

Wholigan
27th Sep 2013, 12:44
Not sure exactly what you're implying there probes, but there must have been many threads over the years where you've read the title and thought "really can't be bothered with that" surely.

wings folded
27th Sep 2013, 12:44
Much too obscure for me. Haven't a clue what you are on about.

The SSK
27th Sep 2013, 12:45
Dear Sir,

I have been thinking about buying a house in Camden, and when I noted on your site a discussion on the very street where I am concentrating my researches, I assumed it would be a mine of information for the prospective resident thereof.

After reading through two hundred and seventy pages, I have learned absolutely nothing of use, other than that the residents of said street speak a version of English that I am totally unfamiliar with.

Could I ask you, as Moderator, to kindly request the participants in this discussion to confine themselves to the subject?

Thank you

vulcanised
27th Sep 2013, 12:46
"really can't be bothered with that"

In my case, frequently, and increasingly.

Wholigan
27th Sep 2013, 12:47
. :)

probes
27th Sep 2013, 13:02
there must have been many threads over the years where you've read the title and thought "really can't be bothered with that"
:) - probably! But during the few years I've been here, I've noticed some threads twist and turn to quite unexpected paths sometimes, so the 'last poster' is a much better landmark... except for the 'gun hamsterwheels' maybe, where I can't particpate as they make me feel like grabbing a gun :sad:... and I feel my personality's being violated :ooh:.
The .-thread [=single dot thread] was a good one. (The one to test if you can hit the title.)

Actually I was implying that some are real fun.

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2013, 13:09
probes:

Then surely you must be familiar with that old thread which started innocuously enough - items to bring to a picnic - which wound up as a discussion about Nazi Stuka dive bombers in WWII, the Holocaust, carpet-bombing of Dresden and then onto George W Bush.

Are we all mentally ill perhaps? :}

Worrals in the wilds
27th Sep 2013, 13:35
And I thought this would be about trains, Muslims or law enforcement. #disappointed...:}:}:}

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2013, 13:38
Worrals:

Or about George W. Bush. It was his fault anyway. :ok:

Worrals in the wilds
27th Sep 2013, 13:46
Too true.
The internet is like a Greek tragedy; most of the time, once the discussion starts you can immediately see how it will end. Badly and with lots of recrimations, banishments, big speeches and huffy farewells that aren't really goodbyes...:E

We'd miss it if it weren't there...:ok::}

airship
27th Sep 2013, 14:03
Is that "cryptic" as in the "hereafter" and new threads posted by same, as a result of PPRuNe identities having been usurped by such entities?

Someone here please provide "proof of life" concerning Wholigan, we hear so rarely from that entity that I sometimes wonder...?! :ok:

Wholigan
27th Sep 2013, 14:42
You don't hear much but I'm always here airship. ;)

airship
27th Sep 2013, 15:08
I'm attempting to tread very carefully here...?! :uhoh:

Maybe it's because PPRuNe does not have "a long enough thread subject title space"? Or maybe it's because we're all so used to the news websites (the BBC is a classic example) we frequent, with their own "shortened" yet "enticing" report title upon which we have to click for "all to be revealed"...?! And we've got used to using the same tactics for better or worse here in JB...?!

There, ye go Wholigan, a suitably serious reply for a change. "Hail Mary, Hail Mary, Hail Mary, for I may have sinned for attempting to communicate with those in hallowed space/s", in advance...?!" :ok:

tony draper
27th Sep 2013, 15:08
I blame the French.... for everything.:rolleyes:

mixture
27th Sep 2013, 15:20
Wholigan,

Its because PPRuNe is chock full of attention seekers. :E

Fantome
27th Sep 2013, 15:29
attention seekers were always sent out of class in my day

the opposite to one of those is the shrinking violet

an inability to think up a clever cryptic title is related to the inability to
do crytic crosswords (ahh. . .. .nice bit of wit there Bas - penny always drops late, if at all)

don't know if this is apposite but a droll newspaper heading was 'Foot Heads Arms Body' (Michael had just been appointed minister for war games)

there's usually a thin fine line between charisma and b u l l s h i t I find

these fora are an outlet for the bored or the lonesome or the attention seeker too, probably . there are far more enlightening and healthy things to do to occupy one's time I'm sure. like curling up with a good book like a good long walk in the country or in my case the Lamington National Park a throne's stow away

(Lord Lamington was the governor of Queensland. He is remembered for his remorse after shooting a koala. also for inventing the lamington)

talk too much? . .. . . well I'd better pipe down . .. . eric idle? . .. love him

Dushan
27th Sep 2013, 15:36
Are we all mentally ill perhaps? :}

Must you ask? We are here.

The SSK
27th Sep 2013, 15:46
an inability to think up a clever cryptic title is related to the inability to do crytic crosswords

My location is very cryptic
(Worrals' is just baffling)

Shack37
27th Sep 2013, 15:48
punters actually have to open and read them before they can find out what the heck the thread is about.

I think what probes was cryptically saying is the openers of such threads are playing the curiosity card.
The thread opener which gets me a touch perplexed is the "Breaking News" one. Three weeks later it's still there but it's no longer breaking news.:rolleyes:

Fantome
27th Sep 2013, 15:53
breaking news may be akin to breaking wind

regarding mental states . . .. . there is enough psychological 'research' around to sink several ships and do in countless heads trying to get an understanding of what it means to be sane as opposed to insane

Shack37
27th Sep 2013, 16:04
breaking news may be akin to breaking wind

regarding mental states . . .. . there is enough psychological 'research' around to sink several ships and do in countless heads trying to get an understanding of what it means to be sane as opposed to insane

And just as informative.

Now define "normal" for us.

con-pilot
27th Sep 2013, 16:15
Greek tragedy

Lordy, Bush caused the Greek tragedy as well! :eek:

My goodness, he gets around a lot he does.

Now what was it we were a talkin' about? :p

Fantome
27th Sep 2013, 16:22
shack normal is the opposite to abnormal

in a monochrome world what is not white is black . . . or grey

for a start, 'normal' is a state in which there is only small deviation between defined limits

how cryptic is this? - The Eastern States Coliseum, better known as The Big E Coliseum, is a 5,900- seat multi-purpose arena in West Springfield, Massachusetts.

The SSK
27th Sep 2013, 16:41
The Eastern States Coliseum

That's the *other* Big E
A long way from this one

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2013, 17:35
Wholigan:

By cryptic thread titles I have a candidate for the PPRuNe Cryptic Thread Title of the Year award. And it's sitting in JB right now, entitled: "What Else Is Nose"

Sunnyjohn
27th Sep 2013, 17:46
I really can't see the problem since, after the first three posts, the thread has no relation whatever to the title, cryptic or not.

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2013, 17:53
This IS JB, sunnyjohn. Did you expect this thread to stay on topic? :}

Sunnyjohn
27th Sep 2013, 18:04
Of course not, rgb - that's half the fun of JB - I was just making the point.

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2013, 18:05
sunnyjohn:

Well, George W Bush was trying to make a point in Iraq in March 2003. Whether or not his point succeeded is up to conjecture and/or the historians. However.....

:}:}:}

Sunnyjohn
27th Sep 2013, 18:29
rgb - you've wandered off-thread again . . . :)

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2013, 18:36
Sunnyjohn,

The story of my life. :E:}

Fantome
27th Sep 2013, 21:35
now mr damon r

"That's the *other* Big E
A long way from this one"

while you may not yourself be in any sense categorised as 'a cryptic thread title',
still the cryptologist is intrigued and ponders whether or not 'E'
stands for something erotic or cryptically related thereto?

then again one should not confuse place with person or, in other words, that person's condition with his/her location

make mine a Baileys

into the crypt crept the decrepit cat .. . . . .

Keef
27th Sep 2013, 22:48
"The Big E" was code for "getting the sack" when I were a lad. But that were a long time ago.

Fantome
28th Sep 2013, 00:39
Used to be a curious case working, at times, in a hangar long ago, he kept the scrabble letter 'E' in his pocket. He'd pull it out on occasions, like at smoko, just put it on the table and stare at it. When asked WTF he was on about, he'd pick up the tile, study it again and finally say in a drawl "This is an E. . .. . . E for effort."

Then there was the Beaver floatplane flying back into Cairns from the reef.
The three tiny fuel gauges all under-read so the pilot was not in the least bothered that the three tiny needles were edging towards the zero mark, except that the bloke in the right seat was squirming about a bit.

'Oh it's OK mate ,. ... where they are now, we've got plenty to make it plus a bit up the sleeve' says the casual driver airframe

' MMmmmm . . . so the E is not for empty then. I get it. It's E for enough.'

Worrals in the wilds
28th Sep 2013, 04:27
When asked WTF he was on about, he'd pick up the tile, study it again and finally say in a drawl "This is an E. . .. . . E for effort."
Did you all back away slowly at that point? Sounds like there could be a lot of bodies in his backyard. :hmm::}
(Worrals' is just baffling)
It was from a song I was listening to last night while cruising through here. A small quantity of alcohol may have been involved :O:}.

probes
28th Sep 2013, 08:25
:) - I've noticed a small quantity generally helps to unveil anything cryptic, so...

But then, Wholigan, there are a few examples of C.L.E.A.R.* ** , too, like:

Is this true?Water companies who add fluoride to water (Northumbrian Water being one)

C Cohesive
L Logical
E Expressed well
A Analytical
R Relevant

** the English just love to acronymise everything. If you prefer something more thorough, click here (http://ec.europa.eu/translation/writing/clear_writing/how_to_write_clearly_en.pdf). :cool:

UniFoxOs
28th Sep 2013, 09:19
punters actually have to open and read them before they can find out what the heck the thread is about.

Surely most do what I do - hover your mouse over the title and the first few words of the thread pop up - usually enough to save you opening it.

Still get sucked in to wasting my time with some, though.

mikedreamer787
28th Sep 2013, 10:51
In my case - what the above poster just said.

Fantome
28th Sep 2013, 11:30
probes . . . thanks for that link. . . . .. it appears to be
a very good primer for those wanting not to abuse the Queen's English.

There does not seen to be any reference to cryptic speech or writing in David Crystal's 'How Language Works'. This book was reviewed by 'New Statesman', who said -

David Crystal is the prophet par excellence of the English language . . . the best reminder of why, whatever the best current theory, language itself, in all its variety, remains such an inexhaustible treasure chest.

lomapaseo
28th Sep 2013, 14:54
Surely most do what I do - hover your mouse over the title and the first few words of the thread pop up - usually enough to save you opening it.

Ah but one misses the good threads where we rapidly wander off-topic like this one and better yet get in bitter name calling that leads to those mysterious banning notices you see against some innocent sounding poster in the only threads that you read.

ehwatezedoing
28th Sep 2013, 18:06
What p!sses me off is those cryptic Facebook update status that I get to read sometime.
And it invariably comes from the same people.

Probably trying to show how intelligent they are :hmm:

Lon More
28th Sep 2013, 18:12
A cryptic crapper crept into the crypt then crapped and crept away.

Fantome
28th Sep 2013, 20:23
Lon - - what the blazes gave you that droll inspiration?

Lon More
28th Sep 2013, 21:19
what the blazes gave you that droll inspiration
An English teacher's example of alliteration from 50 years ago. Suddenly came to mind

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2013, 21:29
An English teacher's example of alliteration from 50 years ago.
55 years ago for me . . .

(though it was just a cat)

ExSp33db1rd
29th Sep 2013, 09:19
'Foot Heads Arms Body'

Or the escapee from a lunatic asylum, who raped women in a local laundry before he ran away ...........

"Nut Screws Washers and Bolts."

ExSp33db1rd
29th Sep 2013, 09:43
.........hover your mouse over the title and the first few words of the thread pop up.......

Only if you've logged on, otherwise not.

Fantome
29th Sep 2013, 18:45
sorry Lon . .. . I was being a tad sarcastic . .. refer my earlier post .. .

by the way .. . . . when I was a lad I served a term . .. . listening to my v droll dad's
jokes of a certain sometimes heady vintage . . .. . the decrepit cat one started with the vicar asking the curate . .. . . 'James . . what is the obnoxious affluvium I detect in the crypt?'

Those of us who did have dads of that generation will never forget their distinctive approach to manners and morals and their often unspoken intolerance of also rans and misfits in society. (My dad on his dad's side descended from Bodmin builder/tradesmen stock who from the studio photos circa 1890 look exceeding humourless pillars of the church . . . the kind that throw up in succeeding generations the obverse . . . praise be.)

Here's one of dad's - true story . .. . he had a two bob sized tarnished lapel badge in his desk drawer for years and years. I once asked him what it was. He said it was a TBL badge. When asked 'what's that?' he said that he had enlisted early in 1918 but was not called up. In the post sometime in 1919 came this 'trinket'. Yes dad . . . says I . .. but why do you call it a TBL? .. . his deathless reply was .. . . 'Too Bloody Late' . .. .

goes part of the way to explaining why he detested his mother-in-law who he knew for a fact sent members of her own family anonymously in the post .. white feathers.