PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Youtube on a Smart TV

Saint Jack
27th Sep 2013, 08:04
We've just bought a Panasonic Viera Smart TV, my wife loves the Youtube features and now wants to download and keep some songs (Tom Jones mainly). I can't determine how this can be done, there are no 'out' connectors, except 'audio out', which would allow me to connect to our DVD recorder. There is a 'USB (HDD)' connection but this also appears to be 'in' only. Can anyone help - is it possible to download/record Youtube on this TV?

Ancient Observer
27th Sep 2013, 15:13
Whilst I don't do this myself, my understanding was that if you put an HDMI 1.4 cable in to your HDMI (2) socket, (Where it says ARC) then connect that to something that records, it should record wot it sees on the tv.
I've not tried this as all my things that record stuff are pre-hdmi !!! (Other than Sky box which records more than I will ever watch.)

When daughter wants to record something like youtoob she gets it on the lappie to record first, and lappie has hdmi cable socket. Links lappie with any old hdmi cable to Pana tv.

Ancient Observer
27th Sep 2013, 15:43
Intrigued by this idea, I went t'net to investigate. There is a youtube video from Pana about recording to HDD. However, they seem to want you to have a dedicated HDD, not just a bit on the side of an HDD used for, say, back up.
Some panas are scart-less. Have you tried a scart to a recorder?

Go to Utoob and look for
"How To Use DLNA And External HDD On Your Viera TV"