PDA

View Full Version : S-92 cockpit questions

LNRalph
26th Sep 2013, 17:14
Hey rotorheads. First to let you know, I am a real (CPL) helicopter pilot, not a 10 year old kid who thinks helicopters are cool. Well...I do actually...but you get the point.

I'm starting to build a S-92 simulator at home, just for fun. But I don't have a S-92 available near me, wrong choice you might say...
So I hope there's someone here who can give me some help. To start the designing I need some dimensions of the cockpit. I've drawn them in an image to make it a bit more clear: http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/Ralph_Rietveld/S92dim_zps17de05f0.jpg

Its 12 different dimensions, A to L. Is there someone who can help me with this? Thank you in advance.

robin303
27th Sep 2013, 02:27
Use a UH-60L panel my friend.:ok:

LNRalph
27th Sep 2013, 09:14
Might be a option too. Do you have access to a UH-60?

jazzyj78
28th Sep 2013, 10:26
this is rockwell collins avionics management system for the complete avionic with the MFD 268 from rockwell....
For dimension check the site of rockwell...

JMP

jazzyj78
28th Sep 2013, 10:38
For the green narrow check the AFCS dimension...
And for the G and H narrow this is also standart dimension G= FMS dimension and H try to find a CPU dimension...

For both side of the Mission display you can put 2,5cm and less than 1 cm for the other take a button of the mdf as a reference ...
For I and K i don't know....

LNRalph
28th Sep 2013, 15:03
Thanks Jazzyj, I found some of the dimensions now. As you said, I can find others by comparing, and it doesn't need to be exact for me. There's somebody who has a friend who fly's the S-92, he's gonna try to get me all of the dimensions. But this definitely gives me some things to start with.
I was very relieved to see that Rockwell Collins uses a 10" monitor :)

Flounder
28th Sep 2013, 19:30
Let CHC know when it's done, they could do with some better slots than the ones they currently get at FSI.

LNRalph
29th Sep 2013, 12:57
Would be nice, but I'm afraid my simulator isn't gonna be FNTPII :)

jazzyj78
29th Sep 2013, 16:25
let me know about the évolution of your Sims....:ok:
Good luck...

LNRalph
30th Sep 2013, 07:17
I'll do. Its gonna be designing first.

CHCmech
30th Sep 2013, 15:49
Hi, measurements for you :)

A: 21cm
B: 26cm
C: 15cm
D: 20cm
E: 39.5cm
F: 14cm
G: 14.5cm
H: 10cm
I: height: 19cm, width; 15cm
K: 66cm (cyclic height)
L: 120cm

LNRalph
30th Sep 2013, 21:05
Wow,that's totally perfect! Thank you very much CHCmech (CHC Mechanic?)!
I'll start designing right away :) I'll post some updates here if I have anything.

CHCmech
30th Sep 2013, 23:30
No problem. Former CHC mechanic, currently at Bristow :)
what kind of software are you planning on running?

LNRalph
1st Oct 2013, 11:06
A S-92 mechanic, perfect for questions :p
I'm gonna use X-Plane, together with our own software: Air Manager (http://airrietveld.nl/index.php/air-manager)

LNRalph
9th Jan 2014, 16:24
The project is coming together a bit. I've been busy designing the MFD flight system, but there are still some questions I have. I've never flown with a MFD, I only have typeratings on R22 and R44 :rolleyes:

I hope someone can help me to fill in the blanks.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/S92ctc/BruneiJune2007037.jpg

The questions I have:
- What does the ALTP stand for (white text top right with 2000 below)?
- What does the green MIN stand for (to the right of ALTP)?
- What does RA stand for (Green text right from AGL)?
- Below there's LTNG, what does this mean (bottom middle)?

Then there's the top:
- P IAS (something to do with the autopilot?)
- R PLOC (no communication?)
- C ALT PG/S (I have no clue)

I'm sorry that I'm such a MFD noob, but I hope to gain more knowledge by this.
And to show you that I'm really working on something, I have a picture. This picture is already a bit old, it has become more complete. I'm gonna add a few more things and then I'll make short clip where you'll see it moving.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/AirRietveld/d77f0c5d-0a44-4902-9edb-635ff813f91d_zps24454e0d.jpg

HeliComparator
9th Jan 2014, 17:43
I'm not an S92 pilot but pending a real live one appearing, I can fill in some of the blanks:
ALTP - Altitude Preset. You dial up the altitude, engage the mode and the helicopter arrives at that altitude

Min - GUESSING the setting of the bug which, when you descend below it, brings on the EGPWS callout "minimums"

RA - GUESSING Radalt ie radio altimeter.

LTNG - don't know, sorry, except that I think it is the selected Nav source for the screen

At the top is the row of engaged modes on the autoplot, the white P R and C are pitch (ie fore/aft cyclic), roll/yaw and collective axes.

The writing in green is the engaged modes on these axes so IAS is airspeed, PLOC is pseudo localiser (ie a localiser like Nav function produced by the FMS). ALT is altitude hold. PG/S is pseudo glideslope, again generated by the FMS. It is white and on the lower row because it is armed, not engaged. When the heli flies into the glideslope, the ALT will disappear and the PG/S will move up and go green.

Do I get my S92 type rating now please?

JohnDixson
9th Jan 2014, 18:20
HC, you're hired.

Not on the basic certified model when I retired, but my guess is that the LTNG allows the pilot to display data from an optional lightning sensor system. Perhaps someone who has such equipment can comment?

LNRalph
9th Jan 2014, 18:43
Thank you already for so much information, this gives me a lot of work to do. Only the mysterious LTNG is left :)

steve_oc
9th Jan 2014, 18:51
LTNG is the soft key to select Lightning Sensor overlay (in a similar way to TCAS). The Honeywell lightning sensor is an option on the S92. Sorry HC, it's not the selected nav source.

HeliComparator
9th Jan 2014, 20:08
LTNG is the soft key to select Lightning Sensor overlay (in a similar way to TCAS). The Honeywell lightning sensor is an option on the S92. Sorry HC, it's not the selected nav source.

Oh yes, I just saw it at bottom centre of the screen showing the mode was active. If I had also noticed it adjacent to the soft key, next to TCAS, WXR, TER I would have guessed better!

212man
10th Jan 2014, 09:00
Nice to see my photograph being used as a reference :ok:

To add to the previous comments:
The questions I have:
- What does the ALTP stand for (white text top right with 2000 below)?

Yes, it's the Altitude Pre-select. It is selected from the DCP (Display Control Panel) using the inner rotary knob. It is armed using the MSP (Mode Select Panel). From level flight it engages the V/S mode and 750 ft/min climb or 500 ft/min descent. If in a climb or descent already it will use the same values or the current figure - whichever is greater. It can remain armed without a coupled mode being active (if the vertical mode is deselected) and can also be armed with the G/S active/armed. The altitude capture starts with 300 ft to go and an aural alert "Level Off" is given.

- What does the green MIN stand for (to the right of ALTP)?
Set to the Decision Altitude, normally, and gives an aural alert "Minimums, Minimums" when the barometric altitude is passed. The value is also set using the DCP and the bug appears when within 450 ft (I think, or possibly 500 ft). We also set it to MSA in the cruise (IFR).

- What does RA stand for (Green text right from AGL)?

Sets the Radio Altimeter bug. DCP again and when passed the aural alert is "Altitude, Altitude"

- Below there's LTNG, what does this mean (bottom middle)?

Lightning sensor, but you cannot see any returns as no activity. Generates little 'z' type symbols showing lightning when sensed.

Then there's the top:
- P IAS (something to do with the autopilot?)
- R PLOC (no communication?)
- C ALT PG/S (I have no clue)

The entire FW glass cockpit community calls that strip the FMA (Flight Mode Annunciator). Nobody in the RW community - manufacturers or Operators - does. Except BSP;)

In this shot the aircraft is flying a VOR approach using a function called Pseudo ILS. It's just Sikorsky's terminology for LNAV/VNAV, and uses an FMS driven output for azimuth and vertical path guidance. The aircraft is on the final approach - so the pseudo-localiser is coupled (PLOC), and waiting for the pseudo-glideslope to capture (so is coupled to altitude with the P-G/S armed). The VOR raw data can be seen on the blue RBI pointer.

The P-ILS can be used for NDB, VOR and RNP APCH (RNAV) approaches when the FMS database has them in.

LNRalph
10th Jan 2014, 10:56
I thought P-ILS had something to do with pilsener, I guess I'm wrong :p

Thank you all for the detailed answers. Some of the things I'm not familiar with, since I'm only a VFR pilot. So I will learn a lot about IFR flying with this project :)

Thank you for your picture 212man, its very helpful for developing. Also thank you for your comments about the DCP and the MSP, and the audible warnings.

http://jproc.ca/rrp/rrp3/cyclone_s92_cockpit_b.jpg
The DCP's are to the left and to the right of the clock? And the MSP on the 'top' of the pedestal?

212man
10th Jan 2014, 10:58
No, the MSPs are left and right of the clock. The DCPs are the second to last items at the top of the pedestal, below the RTUs (Radio Tuning Units)

LNRalph
10th Jan 2014, 11:52
I see, thank you! I'll post some footage soon.

LNRalph
10th Jan 2014, 15:57
I've got one more question...

The bottom left '1 Q 2', is this N1%? When I search for turbine Q on Google, I only get hits with turbine Q & A. I'm guessing that you hit the yellow area around 80%? Do you reach the yellow area with normal use? And do you know at which percentage it reaches the red mark?

212man
10th Jan 2014, 16:30
It's torque and only shown in helicopters and turboprop aeroplanes (I'm ignoring non-aircraft before someone mentions tanks and ships etc!)

Hope thus helps:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/S92ctc/4bcb151e747b0a17e0f4e00a675bf383.jpg

Pm me and I'll share a Dropbox link with the RFM and a training manual from a well known training provider....

LNRalph
11th Jan 2014, 10:36
Wow! This is really really really helpful! Thank you very much. I'll send you a PM.

LNRalph
12th Jan 2014, 09:31
Bingo! S-92 LIMITS flashcards | Quizlet (http://quizlet.com/5070925/s-92-limits-flash-cards/)

Crikey's... S-92 flashcards | Quizlet (http://quizlet.com/12896044/s-92-flash-cards/)