PDA

View Full Version : BBC to axe The Sky At Night ?

B Fraser
26th Sep 2013, 17:20
After some 56 years of being broadcast, the BBC are considering the future of The Sky At Night. If like me, you find the show compulsive viewing then for there to be any doubts over the future of this excellent educational programme is totally unacceptable. Early this year, I saw the planet Mercury low in the pre-dawn sky as predicted by the programme. I had never seen it before and although a minor event in the grand scheme of things, it made my day.

Please join me in signing the online petition below. Should the BBC stop broadcasting this celeb free, erudite and thought provoking programme then I will catch the bean counter who is responsible and kick his goollies into orbit. It's what Sir Patrick would have done.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-please-do-not-axe-the-sky-at-night

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02427/patrickMoore_2427446b.jpg

superq7
26th Sep 2013, 17:29
Signed it. :ok:

rgbrock1
26th Sep 2013, 17:32
Although American and having no prior knowledge of this program I've signed the petition anyway as it would be a shame to see an obvious educational program getting the axe. (Here in the U.S. I would like to see an axe taken to such educational programs as American Idol, Jersey Shore, Honey Boo-Boo & Co and other, related, brain-dead programming.)

500N
26th Sep 2013, 17:36
What a shame. I remember that show.

Capetonian
26th Sep 2013, 17:40
Signed it :

It is education, cultural, and should be kept in honour of Sir Patrick Moore.

Sailor Vee
26th Sep 2013, 17:41
I'd rather see 'I'm a celebrity dancing on skates in the jungle for x-factor' axed long before they touch a programme which requires a brain.

tony draper
26th Sep 2013, 18:12
Signed,why dont the arsoles leave things alone,:=

rgbrock1
26th Sep 2013, 18:31
Tony D wondered

Signed,why dont the arsoles leave things alone,Because they need to get trash like 'Sky at Night' off the airwaves to make room for much better programming like "Dancing with the Stars." Or "Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo".

I mean c'mon Tony, what's more brain worthy, a black sky at night with little stars twinkling so bright?
Or a white trash family's miserable existence in Georgia?

mixture
26th Sep 2013, 18:34
Nice mugshot there of you looking particularly unhappy at the upcoming axing of your favourite programme B Fraser. :E

After some 56 years of being broadcast

Harsh truth is that 56 years ago, the world was a different place.

These days, the BBC has a vast website with all sorts of streaming media available on it. And if you can't find it there, you've got the rest of the internet at your disposal with home-brewed content on YouTube, or more professional offerings from NASA and others with an interest in the sky at night.

The fact of the matter is that it costs money to produce the programmes, costs money to broadcast them. Educational programmes are already less popular amongst the viewers, and the sight of some old fart staring down a telescope at some white dots in the sky is likely to appeal to even fewer people.

Its all about supply, demand and return on investment.

(Just for the record, no I don't think they should fill up the airtime with more talent shows.... there are many other things).

glad rag
26th Sep 2013, 18:43
Actually it cost next to bugger all to produce TSaN.

"or more professional offerings from NASA"

Right.

mixture
26th Sep 2013, 18:50
"or more professional offerings from NASA"
Right.

Well astronomy is just fancy guesswork anyway, so they do a good a job as any of it. :E

Windy Militant
26th Sep 2013, 19:16
I was driving to Manchester yesterday when I heard about this on the radio.
:mad: blasphemy! That's what I thought. As I was staying in Salford I very nearly went round to the Meeja centre and tell them what's what.
However there was a kev ball game going on and I found I couldn't get there :mad:

Twenty five minutes a month, it's not much to ask for is it, instead of all the moronic drivel that's being spewed out these days. :ugh:

Petition signed, if we could have astronomy declared a religion they'd have to give it air time!

Dan Gerous
26th Sep 2013, 22:46
Signed. I try to catch this when I can. Always good for info on what can be seen in the coming month. I may not understand some of the science at times, but I will still watch it.

Tankertrashnav
26th Sep 2013, 22:52
I hear that as a nod to the programme it's replacing, the new show's going to be called The Galaxy's Got Talent :*

(Signed - 28,167 so far :ok:)

11Fan
27th Sep 2013, 00:00
Actually.....

the new show's going to be called....

Stuff You Could See Outside For Free

ShyTorque
7th Oct 2013, 22:07
So much for the professional offerings from NASA...just tried to access their website and saw this message:

Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not available.

We sincerely regret this inconvenience.

racedo
7th Oct 2013, 23:25
B ugger

When I look up each night I will see absolutely nothing.............

AtomKraft
7th Oct 2013, 23:38
Signed it memory of Sir Patrick.

beaufort1
8th Oct 2013, 08:51
Signed.:ok:

Simmbob
8th Oct 2013, 09:40
As was alluded to, the sky at night is an institution as regards T.V. programing, It has an amateurish feel about it, but is produced by professionals .

I've signed.:ok:

uffington sb
8th Oct 2013, 11:40
Signed......
Uffers.

Blacksheep
8th Oct 2013, 13:21
It would be like Roast Beef without Yorkshire Pudding or Scones without Devonshire Cream. Someone needs a good horse-whipping for even suggesting such a thing! :=

Windy Militant
8th Oct 2013, 13:36
The BBC without The Sky at Night? How preposterous!

It'll be the Archers next if we let them get away with this!

Edited to add
Find the miscreant responsible for this ludicrous suggestion
And play this on his rib cage with a couple of ballpein hammers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=703AFmOd80o

Limeygal
8th Oct 2013, 13:51
Signed :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
8th Oct 2013, 13:51
This educational monolith is such a charming low-key effort by those involved and long may it continue! However, the dumbing down of the yoof through (shock horror) the internet, gaming and social media leaves me to fear that once the mainstream older viewers are no longer watching, then it will fade to grey as the right-on BBC pander to what some steering group has ascertained to be 'of the moment' :ugh: :(

SHJ

pj67coll
8th Oct 2013, 15:30
I tried to sign but the form gave an error and said try again later. Hope I'll be able to. I had the honor of attending a lecture by Patrick Moore in Durban, South Africa, in 1986 when Hally's comet was due. Wonderful lecture.

- Peter.

Cacophonix
8th Oct 2013, 19:10
Signed...

What are the air heads at the BBC thinking of? It is a good stimulating programme.

Caco

Nervous SLF
23rd Nov 2013, 03:56
As most of you will now be aware, the BBC have recently announced that The Sky at Night will continue from February next year,
after a break in January. The BBC's own news website states that this is following this petition (BBC News - The Sky at Night gets new slot after campaign (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24740857))
so I just wanted to say an extremely grateful 'Thank You', on behalf of the entire 'Save Sky at Night Team' to each and every one
of you who took the time to sign this petition and say how delighted we are that the programme has been saved.
We don't yet know what the format will be, or even who will be presenting it, but we feel that we cannot really do anything useful
regarding that until the programme has aired a few times and we can gauge whether or not the scientific content has been retained
to at least the same standard. As such we have decided to close this petition and 'watch and wait'.
Once again thank you very much for your support and well done to all of us!
Karen and the Save [email protected] Team.

james ozzie
23rd Nov 2013, 06:21
I don't want to sound too grumpy but I signed the thing and now seem to be getting unsolicited emails requests for other causes.

Nervous SLF
23rd Nov 2013, 07:56
Maybe because you are in Brisbane and England are getting murdered in the 1st Test?:):):)

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Nov 2013, 09:36
Will sign.

Just used a NASA website to calculate when the International Space Station would pass overhead tonight. Spot on to the minute, travelling quite fast.

Magic. ain't science wonderful ?

Nervous SLF
23rd Nov 2013, 09:51
Will sign.

Sorry but you are too late:- "As such we have decided to close this petition and 'watch and wait'."

Cacophonix
23rd Nov 2013, 10:02
I was wondering how excited Patrick Moore might have been to get up as I did this morning to look for comet ISON in the early morning sky (I failed because of slightly misty conditions amongst many other reasons) but suggest I wouldn't have even tried if it had not been for people like him and programmes like the Sky at Night (or in the morning).

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71201000/jpg/_71201497_71200788.jpg

Where Is Comet ISON In The Sky? | Astronotes (http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/where-is-comet-ison-in-the-sky.html)

Caco

ZOOKER
23rd Nov 2013, 11:04
Why are they having a break in January when one of The Sky At Night's accolades is, (I believe), that it has been broadcast every month since it started?

ZOOKER
23rd Nov 2013, 19:23
I haven't had a Television for the last 2 years, so some of the above comments were a bit lost on me.
So, in attempt to get 'up to speed', I made the unfortunate mistake of Googling 'Honey Boo Boo'.
Please, tell me this isn't f*@king real?