PDA

View Full Version : Kongregate Radar Air Traffic Controller

snowak
26th Sep 2013, 06:09
Hello to you all,

So glad I found this forum. I have recently got through Stage 0 online assessment for ATCO Trainee. I'd like to ask members of the forum a rather silly (I think) question.

I found information about this game on PPRuNe called "Radar Air Traffic Controller" on "Kongregate". I must say it's highly addicting!

Anyway, have any of you played this game? If yes, do you think passing through to Stage 4 is "ok" for a WannaB like myself :) I had no errors on first two stages but man the last one was so hard ended up bearly getting through with 2 errors.

Any opinions/response highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wyler
26th Sep 2013, 10:01
I suggest you go to the the ATC Forum on here

...........and wear a tin hat.

Good luck.

snowak
26th Sep 2013, 11:25
Haha, posted it here as it's just a game. More of an off topic than proper ATC stuff (in my opinion) Just wanted to see if there are other members who tried it and would want to share their opinions of the game ;)

Btw 'wear a tin hat'? Never heard this term before. No idea what it's supposed to mean :D

Lon More
26th Sep 2013, 12:09
Addictive maybe, but nothing much like the real thing.

Btw 'wear a tin hat'? Never heard this term before. No idea what it's supposed to mean

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/Rakastaakissa_2006/Emoticons/hide.gif

Duck and wait for the incoming

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2013, 13:13
Tinfoil hat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat).

Lon More
26th Sep 2013, 14:57
We ran a simulation once at Bretigny on he Amsterdam airspace. One of the Amsterdam Controllers was constantly telling everyone how good he was, A little bit of tweaking of entry times, speeds, ROC and throw in a request to divert an it all went rat shit in minutes. We reckon he still had a/c on the freq. passing Zurich. I'd never have done that to my own trainees :E

snowak
26th Sep 2013, 15:52
Of course the games are different than the real thing. If it was the same I bet I'd have no idea what to do :p Anyway, think it's still better than games on NATS website which are supposed to give you a rough idea whether you have the basic skills to do the job but then again what do I know...

anotherthing
26th Sep 2013, 16:25
snowak

have a look at london control online. Although it isn't like doing it for real, it is realistic in the fact that the airspace is replicated etc

snowak
26th Sep 2013, 16:43
Thanks for that information 'anotherthing'
Looks pretty good to me :)
Might be as real as it will ever get for me (hope not) :D

10Watt
26th Sep 2013, 21:17
A good few years ago l was paired with a problematic gentleman in the

Woodford 146 sim for a check. The sort of person who would unthinkingly put

his foot on your flight case to provide a knee for his form filling.

Eventually we came to the London City check, each time l landed he threw

himself from side to side groaning.

During his next take off l slipped the flap lever up two stages.

The examiner never mentioned it.

Loose rivets
26th Sep 2013, 21:38
Dundulk?

Flying and Dundulk. Firstly, have you read my mate's novel, First Kill? Captain P J Callahan paints a wonderful scene of aerial combat in that part of the world. Combatants, in part, two feisty girls in . . . mustn't give the game away. Look on the kindle site and all will be reveled.

We must support our pilot turned novelist fraternity. Must, as in, I'll send the boys round if you don't.

Secondly, air traffic controllers. Pah! Chaps sitting in comfy chairs hollerin' at pilots.

When one thinks about it, they're only necessary when pilots - those fine fellows with big watches - are forced together so that they have to fly in narrow lanes. Think about it, there's not a chance we'd bump into another aircraft if the skies had been left to us alone.

Shamelessly ripped (and modified) from a certain after-dinner speech, which I'm sure, not a single member of the ATC fraternity will recall.

Anyway, it's all about ATC chappies not being needed in the first place.

Now, this is where once needs a tinfoil hat . . . and goggles, and seven miles of extra tinfoil to wrap oneself in for the second wave of incomings. He said, waving a white flag with tiny writing saying ATC chappies are seriously clever, and not for one moment, should a plane be in the sky without an ATC chappies controlling it.

Link Trainers? I used to DREAM of Link trainers. I had to make do with an ANT 18. Link trainer pilots? Lucky, lucky, Bastar:mad:s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody Nora! One is pye-sed tonight. Can hardly squeeze into me aluminium/aluminum suit.

10Watt
26th Sep 2013, 22:25
lt sounds like it !

enjoy, there are a few left with a backbone. Leave it on.

The retired atc chappie Bill .... after dinner speaker, dead now ....

my ex - in more ways than one - father in law used to play the cassette!

Two paracetomol and a pint of water. A gulp of water is best otherwise

you won`t be in bed long enough to find out. Sleep well.

p.s. Gunson was the name.

spekesoftly
27th Sep 2013, 00:40
The retired atc chappie Bill .... after dinner speaker, dead now ....p.s. Gunson was the name. I suspect you may be confusing two different people.

Bill Gunston was an aviation author who died earlier this year.

Dave Gunson is the ex-Birmingham ATCO and after dinner speaker (including "What Goes Up Might Come Down"). AFAIK he's still with us.

Lightning Mate
27th Sep 2013, 07:46
Ah yes - I've got that speech somewhere on an old cassette.

Why put frosted glass in the toilets on Concorde - who's going to look in at
60,000 ft ?

Or words to that effect.

UniFoxOs
27th Sep 2013, 07:59
If I pass you on the way out you are to assume the post of Captain...

Lon More
27th Sep 2013, 09:35
Dave Gunson's CD is still available on Amazon.

There was a Dutch society devoted to preserving some old Link trainers. Unfortunately it seems to have folded. No idea what happened to the trainers ( I'd have loved one in the corner of the living room)
Many years ago I visited the Museum of Childhood in London. They had the old Comet Sim from Hamble in a hut in the garden. Wonder what happened to that?

If anyone is really interested in a controller's work, I think these (http://www.eurocontrol.int/news/be-controller-day) two day courses are still running

Lon More
27th Sep 2013, 09:42
BTW Loose Rivets, http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/emoticons/ratscantfly-1.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/emoticons/ratscantfly-1.jpg.html)
You'd need a lot more than a tin-foil helmet to protect yourself from the falling bits without ATC.
Imagine the chaos of five Ryanair flights arriving at the same time and all trying to get in first. :ugh:

dead_pan
27th Sep 2013, 10:37
I think these two day courses are still running

300 Euros a day to sit in front of a computer??? Sheesh, I hope you get a Michelin-starred lunch or two thrown in. The word "fleece" comes to mind.

I'm sure the guys and gals at Swanwick could do something a lot cheaper.

Lon More
27th Sep 2013, 11:38
I'm sure the guys and gals at Swanwick could do something a lot cheaper

Pay peanuts and you get monkeys :E

Having seen both systems I think the IANS Sim is better.

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2013, 12:15
They had the old Comet Sim from Hamble in a hut in the garden. Wonder what happened to that?
The Science Museum has ( had ? ) a Comet sim in store at Wroughton, I believe it was the one used by the College of Air Training at Hamble,
Meanwhile:- de Havilland DH106 Comet 4 Flight Simulator | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4693581653/in/set-72157624135523637)

Lon More
27th Sep 2013, 15:09
That looks too shiny and well kept. IIRC it was in the late 1970s so that one would still have been in service with DanAir.

Loose rivets
27th Sep 2013, 17:55
I want one!! :{

10Watt
20th Oct 2013, 01:09
Sorry mate,

l think l`m angry over a lost cause and oldness catching up with me.