PDA

View Full Version : F 16 Drone

Rotor Work
26th Sep 2013, 02:27
A little off topic for Australian General Aviation, but worthy of a read
Regards R W

From ABC News

The US Air Force has managed to successfully fly a F-16 fighter jet without a pilot on board in the latest example of the military's increasing reliance on drones. Key points

US Air Force tests F-16 fighter jet without a pilot
F-16 flew pilotless for 55 minutes in Florida
Was operated by two test pilots from ground control station
Reached an altitude of nearly 12,200 metres and flew at Mach 1
Military says the planes will be used as targets for pilots in training

The robotic F-16 flew for 55 minutes with an empty cockpit from a base in Florida last week, as part of a program that will see the converted fighter jet used as a target for pilots in training.
"It was really amazing to see an F-16 take off with nobody in it," said Michelle Shelhamer from Boeing, which has adapted the plane for the US military.
The aircraft is one of six "retired" F-16 jets that will be used as aerial targets for fighter pilots training for air-to-air combat, she said.
"They're basically built to be shot down," she said.
"It's full-scale, real world, real life, combat training - not with a simulator or anything else."
During the flight out of Tyndall Air Force base in Florida, the F-16 reached an altitude of nearly 12,200 metres and flew at supersonic speeds over Mach 1, Ms Shelhamer said.
There was no pilot on board to experience gravitational forces as the plane performed manoeuvres, including a barrel roll.
The plane was operated by two test pilots from a ground control station and the flight went off without a hitch, officials said.
It was not the first time the Air Force has adapted old fighters as drones for use in air-to-air combat training.
Since 1997, the Pentagon used more than 80 F-4 Phantoms converted into robotic planes for targets.
But the F-16s offered a faster, "more realistic" training target than the slower F-4s, Tyndall spokesman Herman Bell said.

US Air Force successfully flies unmanned F-16, says robotic planes will only be used as 'target practice' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-26/us-tests-f-16-fighter-jet-without-pilot/4981852)

kabukiman
26th Sep 2013, 04:50
cool

I wonder how much they will cost to build and shoot down every time

Meanwhile so many people over there are still struggling with housing

Flying Binghi
26th Sep 2013, 05:21
cool

I wonder how much they will cost to build and shoot down every time

Meanwhile so many people over there are still struggling with housing

Look at it another way... The tech trade offs are huge. Remember that computor yer tapping away on came via lotsa money spent on military developments. And, at any rate, the money flows through the US tech industry to the domestic economy..:ok:

Dash8driver1312
26th Sep 2013, 05:30
Old story, duplicate thread, and they've been modifying old aircraft for decades.

Ref QF-86/100/106/4/Jindivik.

Even Project Aphrodite.

Ultralights
26th Sep 2013, 07:10
they are using timex and retired aircraft.

deadcut
26th Sep 2013, 09:47
Exactly dash8,

I don't know why everyone is going gaga over this. How is this different from the qf-4s?

Wally Mk2
26th Sep 2013, 12:48
Let me at the controls of one of these F16's & I'll show what's different:E
Mach 1 by just using a MicroSoft control stick?...wowowo let me at it !:-)

Would be great fun to throw around one of these like a toy R/C plane I mean how hard can it be as long as yr a long way from the action:-)

Wmk2

Flying Binghi
26th Sep 2013, 22:58
Here yer go Wally Mk2, the next best thing...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDfkjGNWSQ

Wanna take it out to 100 odd Km's...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqlDaluCvK8

By George
26th Sep 2013, 23:45
On the 5th of January 1935, the RAF flew for the first time a radio-controlled Tiger Moth. Named a 'Queen Bee'. Over 300 of them were used as targets.
So, as some have mentioned, nothing new, this drone business. A very common film clip, used to a nauseating degree, by every aviation documentary on the Second World War, shows the destruction of a B17. It is in fact, a drone being wacked by a missile in the fifties.
I see the Japanese now have a 'Drone Maid' complete in French Skirt. Now that is interesting. Might have to get one of those.

Wally Mk2
27th Sep 2013, 08:32
'FB' yeah I am into FPV & OSD myself with my toy planes but haven't gone beyond the local area as I haven't delved into any patch antenna's or long range stuff.
There's so much stuff on YouTube about FPV it's mind boggling! Some amazing footage to

All fun & not as easy as it looks:-)

Wmk2

furball_t
28th Sep 2013, 22:05
So next viper pilots will sometimes experience:

an internal error was experienced. Windows will shut down the system to avoid further damages.