PDA

View Full Version : Britannia rules the waves...

Cacophonix
26th Sep 2013, 01:42
Sir Ben Ainslie leads America's Cup comeback: Briton who rules the waves guides Oracle Team USA to its greatest triumph - Sailing - More Sports - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/sailing/sir-ben-ainslie-leads-americas-cup-comeback-briton-who-rules-the-waves-guides-oracle-team-usa-to-its-greatest-triumph-8839899.html)

;)

Bugger, you have to like the Brits sometimes...

Rule Britannia, UK - YouTube

Caco

500N
26th Sep 2013, 01:46
And we have the corresponding article over here about the Aussie
who helped the US win it !!!

I know their were quite a few Aussies on the team.

I somehow think this might be nearly as bad as the
underarm bowling incident :O

Cacophonix
26th Sep 2013, 01:50
I know their were quite a few Aussies on the team.

Nah mate, they were boiling the popcorn...!

As for those silly Americans... ;)

Rod Stewart - Sailing ( Original Music Video ) - YouTube

Caco

500N
26th Sep 2013, 01:58
It's all old hat anyway, we beat them 30 years ago today !!! :O

Cacophonix
26th Sep 2013, 02:04
It's all old hat anyway, we beat them 30 years ago today !!!

Fair dinkum mate ...

But Bond was/is English as you know... :ok:

A Land Down Under - Men at Work - YouTube

Caco

500N
26th Sep 2013, 02:09
Their was a discussion on the TV this morning, it was one of those
moments in time, like JFK, Diana, man on the moon, where a whole
nation stood up and knew where they were.

It also created a huge wave of Patriotism.

It helped that you had the PM of Australia acting a bit like a larrikin.

America's Cup win | Sporting Nation | Sunday, 7.30pm, ABC1 - YouTube

Cacophonix
26th Sep 2013, 02:14
500N

I remember the day the fellahs you fellahs sealed it. I sat in the Royal Cape Yacht club and raised a glass to you blokes... and danced with a very good looking blond girl.

America's Cup win | Sporting Nation | Sunday, 7.30pm, ABC1 - YouTube

Shit you posted that before... :ok:

Caco

cattletruck
26th Sep 2013, 02:21
But Bond was/is English as you know.

Not after his rite of passage of throwing him in the clink to be buggerred as a naturalised Australian.

Cacophonix
26th Sep 2013, 02:24
Not after his rite of passage of throwing him in the clink to be buggerred as a naturalised Australian.

Irony is not lost on the Brits... ;)

Caco

ExSp33db1rd
26th Sep 2013, 05:56
Sorry - just realised that there is a Britannia Rules the Waves Forum - I'll try and move it !!

Sad day in New Zealand.

Our Americas Cup sailing team, having been 8 - 2 up ( winner was best of 9 ) lost out to the USA in San Francisco Bay this morning, the USA boat having won the last 7 races to take the cup 8-9.

The whole Country ( NZ ) is in mourning.

Mind you, I think NZ won last week, when they were well ahead in Fridays' race, only to be stopped 5 minutes before the end because of some stupid rule that limited the total length of the race to 40 mins. and light winds ensured that it was a longer than normal race. Cruel decision, but new rules are new rules so there was no option.

Apparently the time limit was set at the behest of the TV Moguls, to satisfy their stupid ad. breaks !! Even Dennis Connor - the previous USA Cup winner here backing New Zealand to win - described it as fu*****g stupid, this morning.

I don't think NZ will be challenging again for many years, all too expensive and the financial resources just aren't here now. Sad.

aviate1138
26th Sep 2013, 06:24
Surely the key to winning was the jump in speed that the engineers made on Oracle at the time when Ben Ainslie joined the crew. Previously Oracle was no faster than its rival but after the techno boffins waved their magic wands even I a mere landlubber could see the difference.

No question Sir Ben contributed but the key to the win was the massive speed increase.

A great Team effort IMHO.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Sep 2013, 08:58
surely the key to winning was the jump in speed that the engineers made on Oracle.......

Yes, agreed, but that improvement was after the race that would have been NZ's 9th - and been the winning one - was stopped with 5 mins to go, last weekend. The 40 min. maximum time rule, tho' agreed by all parties at the time, was only introduced for this Regatta. As Dennis Connor remarked this morning, who ever heard of race not finishing ?

We wuz robbed. !

An earlier race that had NZ in the lead was also stopped, that time because of the wind being too strong. I guess there could be some excuse for that, damage and injury for instance, but too light when the boats were doing around 20 kts anyway ? Who cared if the race took 45 min. instead of 40 - only the TV idiots I guess, who might have lost some of their advertising revenue - tough.

MagnusP
26th Sep 2013, 09:03
Nah mate, they were boiling the popcorn...!

As for those silly Americans...

Well, the latter boil bloody peanuts! Clear sign of a degenerate society, IMNSHO.

Nervous SLF
26th Sep 2013, 10:57
Wasn't it something sent from a NZ boat building company that so greatly improved the American boat - as well as them having the Brit on board.

500N
26th Sep 2013, 10:59
I think a few things for the boats are made in Auckland.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Sep 2013, 13:10
So Team America consists of a senior design team made up of:
3 Frenchmen
1 German
1 Spaniard
1 Dutchman
1 Aussie
1 Kiwi

and an Afterguard of
2 Aussies
1 Brit

How American can you get????;)

Lon More
26th Sep 2013, 14:09
How American can you get????
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore

Buster Hyman
26th Sep 2013, 14:18
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore
Quick! Someone tell Abbott we've found a new Pacific Solution!

sitigeltfel
26th Sep 2013, 14:41
So Team America consists of a senior design team made up of:
3 Frenchmen
1 German
1 Spaniard
1 Dutchman
1 Aussie
1 Kiwi

and an Afterguard of
2 Aussies
1 Brit

How American can you get????;)

How Welsh can you get?

During last weeks Europa League football match, Valencia fielded four Spanish players and Swansea six!

500N
26th Sep 2013, 14:45
Yes, it's always been about winning, regardless of nationality of the crew.

Hell, even a land locked country can win and host the Americas Cup :rolleyes:

con-pilot
26th Sep 2013, 18:04
who cares?
expensive toys for rich gits

has no relevance for the working man, or his sport

The working men and women that earn a good living from being employed by this sport.

Same as with General Aviation aircraft, corporate aircraft, yachts, etc. Don't know about the country you live in, but in the US millions of working men and women make very a nice living from the above. From making them to pumping fuel into them.

Back on topic, I agree, New Zealand should have won the race that was stopped due to the time limit, thusly the Cup, but both teams agreed prior to the start of the Cup. So I guess that's it.

Mr Chips
26th Sep 2013, 20:40
Ludgar
has no relevance for the working man, or his sport
I assume you don't watch soccer? the money sloshing around that game are ridiculous, and yet it is supposedly a "working mans sport"

yotty
26th Sep 2013, 21:35
When multi-hulls were first allowed in the Cup my heart sank. It was just not on. But having watched this latest series of races, and appreciated the excitement of the race, I've come round to thinking that it's a natural progression. The owners of "America" which won the inaugural event in 1851 I'm sure would have approved. :ok:

ExSp33db1rd
26th Sep 2013, 22:14
Wasn't it something sent from a NZ boat building company that so greatly improved the American boat - as well as them having the Brit on board.Yes, and there was a segment on the TV News last night, of the managment and staff of that company all wearing Stars and Stripes clothing and waving Ol' Glory, and drinking champagne !

( the NZ Un-NZ Activities Committee have been informed ! )

Back on topic, I agree, New Zealand should have won the race that was stopped due to the time limit, thusly the Cup, but both teams agreed prior to the start of the Cup. So I guess that's it.'fraid so, if the Race Controller had extended the time, thereby allowing NZ to win, he would undoubtedly now be facing an Un-American Activities Select Committee of Congress !

We Wuz Still Robbed !! ( and I'm not even a native, and with an American wife, there was definite tension in Chez ExS. this week)

500N
26th Sep 2013, 22:16
Yotty

All the rules went out of the window 30 years ago
after we won with the winged keel.

500N
26th Sep 2013, 23:51
Not many sports are / provide role models for kids !!!

BenThere
26th Sep 2013, 23:57
Yanks, Kiwis, and Aussies are all mongrels anyway. The winners put together the team that won, which is what the contest was all about.

From what I could tell by our American coverage, the timing of the crucial race was strictly according to the pre-established and agreed upon rules, and no fingers were pointed at official manipulation. The victory was fair and square as far as I've seen. If it weren't, I'd also cry foul, even if it meant surrendering the Cup. A stolen win in a great competition is empty.

500N
27th Sep 2013, 00:07
BenThere

With Dennis Connor, the US skipper 30 years ago being a prime example
of trying to use the rules and courts to stop himself from being beaten.

But the Aussies had done their homework !

BenThere
27th Sep 2013, 00:13
And they broke a century old dominion.

ExSp33db1rd
27th Sep 2013, 08:54
From what I could tell by our American coverage, the timing of the crucial race was strictly according to the pre-established and agreed upon rules,

It was, no complaint there, but it was a stupid rule - even Denis Connor stated that - and should never have been agreed to in the first place, and - we're told - all for that Mighty God, TV advertising.

Worlds' Gone Mad.