PDA

View Full Version : prescribed shades tint

FRIDAY
7th May 2002, 04:20
I hold a class 1 med with the restriction I must ware glasses.
I have a two sets of glasses as required and I also have a pair of sunglasses with prescribed lenses, however they have the blue tint. My question is will the blue tint cause a problem in the cockpit, Of course at first I am training up to my cpl/ir so I will not have to contend with efis displays in cessna's/ seneca's but its a problem I would like to avoid later on.
Would a different colour tint be of benefit or is blue o.k.
I also plan to get a pair of wrap around oakleys with presription lenses any ideas if this is a good option.

redsnail
7th May 2002, 17:20
The TRI I was flying with uses blue sunnies. However, the aircraft wasn't EFIS either.
By the time you get to an EFIS flight deck you probably would have lost or smashed them any way. ;)

Re the Oakeys, make sure that the wrap around style will allow prescription lenses. Some don't. If you can, pick a neutral density colour like grey/green. If you are worried about EFIS and colour distortion, that is the colour. (If in doubt, have a look at the colour on Rayban's Aviators. That's roughly the colour you want)

DANZ
7th May 2002, 17:32
I've just got myself a pair of presrciption sunglasses as per the Class 1 requirements. Go for the Rayban G15 tint. Excellent colour definition and no depth perception issues.

Dan

Cosmo
12th May 2002, 11:33
I'm also about to get myself a pair of prescription sunglasses. A pilot friend of mine spoke highly of Serengeti drivers. He said that they dramatically improved contrast even in cloudy conditions.

I have my mind set on these, provided they can do prescription lenses. But, their tint is brown(ish)....
Anyone using these?

Follow these links for more info

Serengeti Drivers- pilots' choice (http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/drivers_gradient/drivers_gradient_features.htm)

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/drivers_gradient/drivers_gradient_1.htm

Cosmo

sam flanders
12th May 2002, 18:34
Remember that a blue tint is absorbing red light. Go for an approved aviation tint.