PDA

View Full Version : BT Yahoo!

Pelikal
25th Sep 2013, 08:50
I believe there was a thread running here about a change to BT Yahoo! mail and a possible scam with fake adverts etc. but I can't find it.

Today I had a mail in my Spam folder that appeared to be from BT notifying me of an upgrade and to click here or I won't be able to use BT mail after 27 Sept. It certainly looked like it was from BT but three things. It was in my spam folder, and images were blocked. These images were the BT and Yahoo logos.

The other thing was that it was sent to a sub-account and not to my main account. This particular sub-account is the one I use most often.

I know this has been covered before and perhaps someone could provide a relevant link. Cheers.

BOAC
25th Sep 2013, 09:18
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/516409-suspicous-e-mail.html#post7885183 ???

From page 1 of search.

Pelikal
25th Sep 2013, 09:54
Thanks BOAC. That thread was more connected to a email password issue/scam I think, rather than to specific changes to BT Yahoo mail. However, within that thread was a link to a posting by Milo in June BT dumps Yahoo. (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/516095-bt-dumps-yahoo.html#post7879050) This is what I recall and had me concerned at the time.

I'm assuming that as I use my accounts pretty well daily, I'm in no danger of losing my stuff. I've certainly had no issues and all is running smoothly but concerned about this latest 'ad' which does look real. I haven't responded to it.

I'm just unsure what to do or indeed if I need to do anything. Thanks again.

EGTE
25th Sep 2013, 16:04
All the emails asking you to upgrade to new BT Yahoo will be fake. There is no need to upgrade anything.
When your btinternet.com/btopenworld.com email account is upgraded to the new BT Mail you will be re-directed to the bt.com website when you attempt to sign in via the BTYahoo! website. There is already a tab on the bt.com website for email users to log in whether or not their account has been regraded yet.
If you only use an email client (such as Microsoft Outlook for example) and never access the BTYahoo! webpage you will see no difference as the email settings will not be changing.
BT email accounts are being re-graded in batches and the changeover is due to be completed by the end of this year.

See this link on the bt.com website for more info We're changing BT's portal and email services | Help | BT.com Help (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44789/?s_cid=con_FURL_email_newemail)

Pelikal
25th Sep 2013, 17:33
EGTE, thanks for the beautifully concise answer. Sorted.:ok:

exgroundcrew
8th Oct 2013, 12:41
Be aware there seems to be a MAJOR problem with this changeover. I was moved to the new login about 3 weeks ago. It would not accept my login ID or password, The so called help desk said it was my computer at fault and tried to get me to pay for a support contract. I refused as am a retired computer expert of 40 years and knew there was no problem. After over 2 hours with numerous attempts by BT to change my password with exactly the same problem, I gave up on them and went back to an old BT ID I had before I brought broadband and this allowed me in to change and reuse my password. This worked OK but intermittently fails, ( no I did not mistype it as I had it stored on firefox.

The following week my daughters was changed and guess what exactly the same problem, she did not have a BT ID other than her email address and again the Help Desk used the excuse it's your computer and yet again requested access to her computer, again refused and after being passed to various support they eventually corrected the problem. When I told them this must be quite a common problem with the change over, their response was no we have not had this problem before.

Today my mothers laptop changed to the new login screen and EXACTLY the same problem, again they blamed the computer, which happened to be a MAC, again I refused to grant them access and after 1 hr and being passed to further support desks they fixed the problem at their end but again said this is unique and not heard of the problem before. Which is an obvious lie.
Anyone else had this problem or am I just very very unlucky.

Pelikal
16th Oct 2013, 14:44
Hmmm. Not sure where I should go with this. There are 2 or 3 threads running with related queries. I started this one independent of the backing up of email thread. I posted there because backing up emails is something I want to do.

I still intend to try Thunderbird as an email client. However, there are huge issues at the moment with BT 'migrating' to Critical Path from Yahoo! Mail. Anybody interested should visit, and register if you are a BT BB customer, on the BT Community forums. You may be surprised. I could post a link but I have a feeling it would be frowned upon.:=

Until BT finally make the clean switch away from Yahoo! I'm going to hold fire on trying out Thunderbird. BT are very much in a transitional state with this change and it is frustrating many users as is evidenced on the forums.

As the OP, just a quick note.

Saab Dastard
16th Oct 2013, 16:54
I could post a link but I have a feeling it would be frowned upon
You have wrong impression - things that we frown on include links to competing aviation sites and advertising / promoting one's own site / service. Oh, and copyright-infringing / hacking and other illegal stuff, and p0rn, of course.

Pretty much everything else is fair game.

SD

Ancient Observer
16th Oct 2013, 16:59
I get one of these dodgy emails allegedly from BT or Yahoo about every second day.
They are all fakes.

My bt yahoo apps in the android and ipad have stopped working, but that is no grief as I just go in via bt.com/email. The apps were becoming more bloated anyway.

It has not asked me to change anything yet.

Pelikal
16th Oct 2013, 17:43
SD, thanks for reply. Ok try this link. (http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/index1.html)