PDA

View Full Version : How honest is your city?

West Coast
25th Sep 2013, 06:16
Project wallet drop: World's least honest cities - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/24/travel/least-honest-cities/index.html?hpt=hp_c4)

TWT
25th Sep 2013, 07:18
Nothing more than a stunt.So called 'results' completely meaningless.

Capetonian
25th Sep 2013, 07:27
Totally meaningless, for a start samples too small to be meaningful.

What I can tay is that if I dropped a wallet in certain areas of Cape Town it wouldn't even hit the ground before someone was off with it.

I left a wallet on a bench at Jan Smuts Airport (OK I know.....) a couple of years ago and only realised an hour later. Contacted security and police and about 10 minutes later two black policemen came to me with a cleaner (also black) whom they had by the collar and who had found my wallet and handed it in. They treated him as if he was the criminal and made me check to see if he'd stolen anything from it. The inhumanity of blacks to each other has to be seen to be believed. As far as I knew everything in it was intact and I thanked him and gave him R100 (about 8 in UK money) and they said I shouldn't have.

sitigeltfel
25th Sep 2013, 07:49
Elderly Australian visitors we had here a month ago left a small bag on the TGV when they got off at Avignon. It contained passports, credit cards and around 500 in cash. Another passenger found it and handed it to the train manager. He found one of their mobile phone numbers in the bag, called them and arranged for it to be dropped off at Avignon when the train returned two hours later. He suggested the go out and buy a lottery ticket as it seemed to be their lucky day.

Hydromet
25th Sep 2013, 09:12
Don't know if Sydney's any more or less honest than anywhere else, but if you dropped your wallet in Oxford St., you'd kick it down to Pitt St. before you bent over to pick it up.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Sep 2013, 09:16
You're that irresistible? ;):}
I must say, Oxford Street came as a bit of a shock when I first went there as a naive Queensland teenager. I kept walking into what I thought were women's boutiques, only to retreat looking :O:O muttering 'sorry fellahs, wrong shop'. :eek:

500N
25th Sep 2013, 09:30
"You're that irresistible?"

No, they are just not that choosy in Oxford Street :O

beaufort1
25th Sep 2013, 09:55
One of the principle reasons I live where I do, I don't lock my car or house. In fact I received no key to the garage when I bought the house last year. :)

500N
25th Sep 2013, 10:01
It might surprise most but I don't lock my car.

The only time I had an issue was 3 months ago, a couple of kids must have seen
the window of my 2nd car down (it's broken) and thought lets have a look see.

My dog must have made them crap themselves as they dropped
a small box as they ran - it had nothing much in it but they
managed to spread it over the driveway :O

That's the first issue in 26 years. Next time they try it they will
get a shock as I have out a set spring jaw trap in the rear so if they
reach through to grab something that on top of it it will go off.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Sep 2013, 10:28
.......I have out a set spring jaw trap........

I once told the Police that I would wire my Avocado tree to the 240 volt supply, on an attempt to stop all and sundry stealing my avos. - ( once found the local electricity line company using their ladders tp reach the higher fruit ) and I was told that I would be prosecuted for setting a Man Trap.

I would too, criminals get all the breaks in New Zealand, the victim gets no consideration, like it's all their fault.

500N
25th Sep 2013, 10:35
Yes, but what are they going to do ?

After running down the street screaming, are they going to
go to the cops saying they got caught breaking into a car ???
No law against having them and how the hell did I know
one was still set after picking them up ?
(There are 3 of them in the car).

They could have been messing around with it after
stealing it and got "bitten" by it.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Sep 2013, 10:53
Just don't kill 'em. I must say I had the same thought as Exspeedbird re mantrapping; have a handy excuse ready, though it seems like you've got that covered.

Of course you could just lock your car...;)

ExXB
25th Sep 2013, 11:08
I never locked my MG Midget but one night down at the pub some idiots cut through the soft-top to get inside to have a look see.

Idiots, they could have just opened the door. (The cops didn't think it was just mindless vandalism, as no other car in the lot had been damaged.)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Sep 2013, 11:35
Moral of story - Don't live in a city.

I don't lock anything, in case the neighbours want to borrow something. I do hang a padlock on the minibarn so it looks locked from the road, but it isn't.

OFSO
25th Sep 2013, 12:31
We have two towns here, side by side, Roses and Empuriabrava.

Roses has a municipal: school, library, theatre, sports hall with fitness centre and sauna, and swimming pool.

Empuriabrava has none of these, but the mayor just bought a new Porsche Cayenne.

rgbrock1
25th Sep 2013, 15:28
500N wrote

That's the first issue in 26 years. Next time they try it they will
get a shock as I have out a set spring jaw trap in the rear so if they
reach through to grab something that on top of it it will go off.

A spring jaw trap? How inhumane of you. Just think of the carnage it could cause to someones hand and/or arm. The little thief would never be able to handle anything again. WHAT ABOUT THE THIEF'S HUMAN RIGHTS, damn it?

Instead of a spring jaw trap I opt for Claymore mines. Much more humane in that anyone caught in its blast zone won't suffer at all. Because usually there isn't much left to cause any sort of pain. :}

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Sep 2013, 15:40
Sounds like our mob, Mr OFSO. City is bankrupt, infrastructure is failing and the roads are falling apart but the incompetent pilferati who run the show all buy new luxury vehicles on the city's account every year, on top of all the other perks and fat salaries.

500N
25th Sep 2013, 16:41
RGB

Yes, I totally agree with you.

Problem is, I can excuse away some things but a home made Claymore
or such like with set off by a pressure plate or movement detector
is a bit hard to explain away - legally.

Pain - what pain ? :O as 100's of ball bearings pass through you :O

I also think the windows in the house opposite might suffer a little bit
of damage, not good for neighbourly relations.

West Coast
25th Sep 2013, 18:08
I rarely lock my car when out and about as well. Hoping some idiot will take a fancy to a 11 year old Hyundai with about 200K on it so I can get something nicer. I'll keep trying. Much the same, no matter how much stuff I throw at my telly I can't seem to break it. UHD 70 inch tv is calling me, I haven't given in yet.

rgbrock1
25th Sep 2013, 19:12
West Coast:

I can assist you in ridding yourself of that pesky, and old, Hyundai.

Just send it to me and I'll park it in downtown Hartford, CT. Or even in one of several other of the many "illustrious" cities of Connect-The-Crap.

It should be gone in about 3.2 nanoseconds. Even less time if you have a ghetto blaster mounted in it. Dey be da bomb!

Hydromet
25th Sep 2013, 23:27
West Coast. I tried that with my first car, and parked it in possibly the worst area of this fair town. [email protected] stole the magazines I'd left on the seat, left the car.

West Coast
25th Sep 2013, 23:40
Hydro

That's adding insult to injury.

tony draper
26th Sep 2013, 00:23
Remember reading something a while back,chap wins a new fridge in a competition,the one he has is near new and in good order so he sticks it outside his house with a sign that says 'Anyone needing a fridge please take this one it's free',three days later the fridge is still there so he sticks a new sign on it that says 'Near new Fridge for sale fifty dollars' it was stolen a hour later.
I think that says summat about our species.
:rolleyes:

The SSK
26th Sep 2013, 10:00
Like the bloke who wanted shot of his bagpipes, so he left them on the back seat of his car with the window open.

When he got back somebody had dumped another set of bagpipes in the car

Capetonian
27th Sep 2013, 08:09
The fridge story is probably true. I had an old fridge which I'd switched off when I went away, left the door open, and thought I'd emptied it. There were a couple of bits of chicken frozen into the ice. When I came back, three weeks later, Cape Town midsummer, the stench was indescribable so I hadto get rid of it. I left it outside by the bins, and the rubbish men wouldn't take it.

After a week or so later I hauled it round to the street, taped a sign on it : Fridge for sale, and a fictitious phone number. Within ten minutes it had gone.

A friend of mine had a company car he detested, a Ford Sierra. He left it parked for several days in Woodstock, then a pretty bad area of town, windows open, keys in ignition, but nobody took it.

Worrals in the wilds
27th Sep 2013, 12:17
[email protected] stole the magazines I'd left on the seat, left the car.Bloke at our airport had his car stolen from the staff carpark. Two weeks later they brought it back and even parked it in the same spot (ableit with a few thousand extra kms on the clock). We'd all told him it wasn't worth stealing but having this proven by known thieves made him extra grumpy...:} The 'Rent a Wreck' sign that mysteriously attached itself to the driver's door a week later didn't help. :E

ExSp33db1rd
29th Sep 2013, 09:32
Back to the topic .......... ?

7 yr. old son came up to me in the local Boots the Chemist when we lived in Dorset, holding a 5 quid note that he had found in the bottom of the plastic shopping basket that I'd sent him back to the door to collect.

What shall I do with this, he said ?

I took it to the cashier and told him that we had found some money in the shop, and would take it to the local Police station. No need for that, Sir, he replied, I'll look after it and hold it for whoever comes looking, how much is it ? Not going to tell you, I said, if someone comes in asking if money has been found, tell them to go to the Police station, and if they can describe how much they lost, maybe they will be able to prove that it was theirs. ( bear in mind that in 1973 5 quid was a LOT of money to a 7 yr. old - even to a 40 yr. old airline Captain ! probably about 7 beers ?)

My son asked why I hadn't told the man how much he had found ? Because he will send his wife along to say she has lost 5 quid, I replied, only someone who knows exactly that they lost a 5 quid note can try to claim that it was theirs now.

At the Police station the desk sergeant gave my son a hard stare, and said, - "Nobody ever brings in cash, I don't know what to do with it, I'm going to make you guardian of this 5 quid note, take it home and keep it safe, and if anyone comes asking for it, and I believe they genuinely lost it, I'll ask your dad to bring it back, but if I haven't called you after 3 months you can put it in your money box - it'll be yours "

Needless to say we never heard another word, lesson learned, honesty is the best policy.

Hydromet
29th Sep 2013, 10:06
Similar thing happened when I was a kid. Mate & I found a fiver on the footpath, right opposite the police station. Took it across and handed it in, they took our details. Three months later, a call from the station, the fiver hasn't been claimed, it's yours.
A fiver really was worth something to a 13 year old in 1960.

ExSp33db1rd
30th Sep 2013, 04:44
......a call from the station, the fiver hasn't been claimed, it's yours.

Honest cops, too !!

Teldorserious
30th Sep 2013, 08:51
Oregon. Incompetents trying to rip you off.

Good luck finding a vet or car mechanic here that won't take out your dog or car and you to the cleaners at the same time.