PDA

View Full Version : Invited for my first job and obviously a bit scared - Does this offer sound good?

McGoose
24th Sep 2013, 23:19
Hey guys,

I'm a low hour (150h) pilot who has recently finished training with a CPL IR ME and MCC. I have sent out loads of applications and haven't had any luck with the airlines, but I got an invitation to a business aviation job in Prague. I'm really happy, but also a bit scared. I don't want to be exploited for my "naivité" as a young first-timer. So how does this job offer sound to you:

First officer on a Cessna Citation 525 CJ2
Homebase Prague
Free accommodation facilities (is this typical? surprised me a bit)
Operation: Worldwide with a focus on Russia and Ukraine
Appropriate salary
Min 8 days off
Type rating included (with 3 year bonding) or self cost absorption (without bonding)

What is an appropriate salary for this kind of job?
Can I buy out of a 3 year bonding, if yes, what do they usually charge? The whole cost of the type rating? (Not that I plan on it from the beginning, but I know what kind of conditions I would get myself into)
In case of self cost absorption, what does a TR on this type of plane cost on average?

I would really appreciate some opinions from experienced business pilots, thanks in advance!

B200Drvr
25th Sep 2013, 01:18
I think it sounds reasonable. The bonding is usually pro-rata, and decreases every month. Typically in light Biz-jets you only fly 300-400 hours a year at a push, so three years is a good career starter.
Dont expect to much from the salary, a livable wage is probably what you will get until you have experience. IMHO it sounds like a good starting offer, remember, you are probably going to be a dogs body, you are at the bottom of the food chain.
Good luck.

Pittslover
25th Sep 2013, 01:53
What the writer fortgot to add is they want 900 Euro for a screening on an Antonov 28 SIM.

McGoose
25th Sep 2013, 02:08
What the writer fortgot to add is they want 900 Euro for a screening on an Antonov 28 SIM.

There was no mentioning of this, and I doubt they would just "hide" this.

CaptainProp
25th Sep 2013, 09:50
Looks like that will be either Aeropartner or Silesia Air. If they want money for the sim forget it. What they will do is invite about 100 low time pilots who will happily travel to Prague, pay the €900, just to get told "Sorry, we picked someone else".

Now they have financed 3 years pay, or more, for one FO by simulator fees from the rest of the applicants.

Free accommodation? I would want to see those "facilities" before I accepted any job. Bed in the hangar? Sharing apartment with other crew next to the airport? Your own small apartment downtown?

Low end salary according to Pro Pilot Salary is $34K or about €25K. Having said that, I would be very surprised if they offer €2000 / month for a First Officer.

CP

McGoose
25th Sep 2013, 12:10
Thank you CaptainProp.

Yeah if I had to pay for the sim, I probably wouldn't do it, too much risk. And yeah the facilities I would also first want to see, cause if they're crappy I'll have to find a different place and still pay rent, and with a low salary that's maybe not easy.

In case there's no fee for the simulator and the facilities are alright, do you still think it would be a good career starter?

CaptainProp
25th Sep 2013, 12:19
With 150 hours total time? Yes.

Pittslover
25th Sep 2013, 12:23
I hate to be that guy but I read exactly the same story in another forum about a CJ job from prague. As it turns out they want you to pay 900 Euros assestment fee. I do not want to drag anything down just a warning. Good luck.

Phalare
25th Sep 2013, 12:58
Hey Guys,

I've been invited by this recruiting company as well.
I'm a low time pilot too (240 TT).

I just happened to call them to get more infos.
The guy I spoke to was very nice (commercial pilot himself) and being honest with me : the price is huge (959 euros for the whole assessment with accommodation) and the chances of getting the job is extremely low. The reason being : the current pilot market. (-> the whole cost of the assessment is being paid by the applicants).
They intend on screening between 30 and 40 low timers, for only 2 positions available.

The actual company is a "secret", but apparently only few are based in military LKKB...
The job would start early 2014.

Regarding the sim, it is a full motion Antonov indeed... And there is only one pilot being screened in the sim, with the instructor as PM. Classic IFR scenario with a few failures.

Anyway, the price is way too high for me, after all the debts I have made with my training...

Good luck if you decide to go for it !

McGoose
25th Sep 2013, 14:23
Hey everyone, thanks for the tips. Just as you "predicted" they request over 900€ for the screening. I don't find it all too professional not to mention that in the invitation and assessment infos. So you pay for a flight, fly to Prague, think it's all paid for and then you get a bill? No thanks.

B200Drvr
26th Sep 2013, 01:31
Any company that requires you to pay for the screening process is a complete and utter waste of time to work for. They are basically saying that they have no money and are not prepared to invest in their employees.
Furthermore, a screening in an aircraft on which you are not type rated or familiar should not contain any abnormals. How the f@#k are you supposed to know where anything is on an Antonov when you have 200 hours TT.
What a complete bunch or ripoff merchants!!!
Stay away!!!

stilton
26th Sep 2013, 05:41
Why does a Citation need an F/O ?

McDoo
26th Sep 2013, 07:00
Stilton.

EASA requirement is for all commercial jet ops to be two crew regardless of weight.

Teldorserious
28th Sep 2013, 01:16
Sounds like a scam -

They assess 50 guys, to find one guy, the guy that can actually pass the test, who probably has 5000 hours.

150 hr pilots have no business crewing jets, so maybe this is that entitled sort meeting up with the scammer sort, see who can screw each other the hardest.

I know one thing..the passengers are going to lose out on this one.

Calmcavok
28th Sep 2013, 04:30
150 hr pilots have no business crewing jets

Really? I only had 30 more hours than that when I started my first medium jet airliner job in the UK.

M-ONGO
28th Sep 2013, 09:07
Really? I only had 30 more hours than that when I started my first medium jet airliner job in the UK.

That's an airline I'm afraid. I agree, the Bizjet world doesn't see this level of inexperience often. Long may that last.

Bizjet crews often fly much less hours per anum than airline counterparts, so there are less sectors to 'learn' on for one, less recency, we often fly in to more demanding environments than airlines, our passengers are usually high net worth individuals who want experience that comes generally with more hours.

Also, insurance for an airline is over a fleet of many aircraft. Airlines and large operators can negotiate good deals, not all companies can in BizAv.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a company that asks you to pay for screening.

Steak&Kidney_Pie
28th Sep 2013, 19:38
Just to say best of luck McGoose. I hope something works out for you. Hours count for nothing with the right people :ok: