PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going Home

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 16:19
As many on these here hallowed threads know it has become rather obvious what I think of the Great Satanic State of Connecticrap. I could, in actuality, pen quite a lofty tome about CT which would put anything written by Stephen King to shame.
But I digress as I won't endeavor to subject myself to the same.

It is with delight that I can relay that I have accepted a position with a company in New York. I have been on the search for new employment for a short while now and was offered a position in such places as Texas, Colorado, New Hampshire and, now, New York.

So with my acceptance of this opportunity (With Avon. And, no 500N I will not be a former Ranger now employed as an Avon lady wearing a pink tutu with Mickey Mouse shoes. ya prick!) the Mrs. and I will be moving "home" for me and "far away" for the Mrs.

The position entails a very substantial pay raise, nice perks and the ability to flee the crap state of CT after having lived there for almost 15 years now.

Halla-f***ing-leujah.

con-pilot
24th Sep 2013, 16:23
Congratulations! Very glad you are happy and have escaped Great Satanic State of Connecticrap. :ok:

beaufort1
24th Sep 2013, 16:26
Congratulations RGB. :ok:

superq7
24th Sep 2013, 16:28
Good luck RG hope you keep posting :ok:

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 16:34
No need to worry about a lack of posting on my part with the new job. There's ALWAYS a way to PPRuNe!!! (For example: my current employer does not allow access to PPRuNe nor to any other "bulletin board" type web site. Dunno why but it is what it is. So to get around this little obstacle what I did about a year ago was set up VPN access on my home (Linux) PC which I connect to from here at work. Works like a charm!)

BenThere
24th Sep 2013, 16:40
Congratulations, RGB, and wishes for your continued success. You obviously have developed a skill set employers desire, giving you flexibility in choosing where you live, and the employer for whom you desire to contribute. All the best.

I'd have picked Texas, though.

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:06
BenThere:

Thanks for the congrats and well-wishes, and to everyone else too.

As far as my skill set is concerned. I work, and have been working with for many years now, on a computer operating system called OpenVMS. It was originally written by a company called Digitial Equipment Corporation (DEC) back in the 70's. Since then the operating system has been taken on by, first, Compaq and, now, HP.

It is an operating system which runs on server systems or mainframes for want of a better term.

There are not that many OpenVMS Engineers, like myself, who are around anymore. They've either gone onto "greener" pastures or died. However the OpenVMS operating system still has a vast installed base. (Predominately used by hospitals, financial institutions and infrastructure) So although such positions don't open up often enough (usually when the local OpenVMS engineer croaks) when they do employers find it very hard to fill the position due to the dearth of current knowledge.

So we basically had someone dying in Colorado, Texas, New Hampshire and now New York. Although the guy I'm replacing at Avon is set to retire early next year and isn't dead yet, so they want to fill the position before he goes. Thus, me!

I had seriously contemplated Texas and even picked Lonewolf's brain about it but the position was way out in Bumf**k, Texas and the Mrs. wasn't too keen on the idea anyway. (She's a native Connecticutian who gets nose bleeds 5 miles past the CT border. But she very much likes the idea of New York, where we spend 95% of our vacations anyway.)

Limeygal
24th Sep 2013, 17:17
Congrats-hope they give you Ppruneing breaks on your contract otherwise your BFF Airship will go into a steady decline!!

airship
24th Sep 2013, 17:23
rgbrock1. Congratulations or as they say here in France: "Félicitations", on your new job.

How come you didn't follow up on the job offer by any IT firm in Hungary or Hungry on triple your old wages? Was it 1) The worry over sky-high EU communist social-security deductions and/or taxes?; 2) A language barrier, perhaps confusing Hungary and being hungry?; 3) Is Hungary a country? If so, is that east or west of the Great Satanic State of Connecticrap; 4) Do flights to there sell peanuts if you're hungry?

Sorry, someone had to say all that. And much better coming from the devil you already know than the one you don't...?! :E

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:24
limeygal:

I wouldn't want to disappoint my BFF airship so I'll ensure I get some PPRuNe breaks into my day!!!! :ok:

airship:

Ahhh. Just as I replied to limeygal's post your posting shows up. Sort of like a ghost from Christmas past. (Are you related to Beelzebub, airship? ) But, no, Hungary was never on my list of places to work or live. Having lived in the then Federal Republic of Germany for a bit over a dozen years I had the fortune of visiting most European countries. Hungary being one of them. Needless to say, I wans't all that impressed. Plus the Hungarian beer I had the misfortune of sampling, sucked. And I would never live in a place where tasty beer is not readily available. (CT, for example, has several local brews. All of which taste like something brewed in a septic tank. Which is fitting for CT.)

West Coast
24th Sep 2013, 17:29
RG

If you can't have your new weapon in NY, I'll take care of it for you.

Either way, congrats, tell the missus to enjoy all that extra disposable income when she attacks the mall with intent of taking it over.

OFSO
24th Sep 2013, 17:30
I'd have taken Texas too, the state where men are men and, well, so are the women.

The one time I was in New York (Manhatten) I thought how very European it was. All those brick buildings and everyone speaking Polish, it just reminded me of London.

Be happy !

OFSO

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:35
West Coast wrote:

Either way, congrats, tell the missus to enjoy all that extra disposable income when she attacks the mall with intent of taking it over.

Fortunately for me, West Coast, the Mrs. is one of the few women I've ever met who hates going to the mall, or shopping in general. She, like me, prefers shopping on Amazon from the comfort of ones chair parked in front of the PC than having to deal with the masses.

I am sure, though, that the added income will suit her just fine in other endeavors. (Like the $3,000 bill for fixing the wiper motor on her Audi A4. I just about shit myself when I heard that one. Her wiper motor replacement cost more than my Honda Civic is worth!!!!)

airship
24th Sep 2013, 17:37
"Go home 2-socks", you do wear 2 socks at a time don't you rgbrock1? And best wishes in all your future endeavours. ;)

Dances With Wolves - Wolf Scene -- Lt John Dunbar Receives his Sioux Name (Deleted Footage) - YouTube

BenThere
24th Sep 2013, 17:37
Bumf*ck,Texas could turn out to be an oasis of pleasure, swimming pools, sunshine, year-round motorcycling, cowboy boots - all the pleasures of life, including the buxom natives you have led us to believe you admire.

Can you reveal precisely where it was your better half rejected as too far off the beaten path?

I went to USAF pilot training in Lubbock, Texas in 1976. When I was assigned to it I thought 'Well, it's only a year in the middle of nowhere.' But looking back, it was about the best place I ever lived. Great people, neighbors look in on and help each other, honesty is the one trait you never compromise, and facing life's challenges with gritty determination, as opposed to letting the government take care of it, is a given. The best people you'll ever meet are in Lubbock, Texas. It helped that they still thought a young punk like me, from Detroit, was OK so long as he was in the Air Force.

ExRAFRadar
24th Sep 2013, 17:38
Dear Lord, my first Operating job was on DEC Vax with VMS in 1991.

All I recall is bl**dy huge monitors and Network Admins who thought they were God. Bit like Admins anywhere really :-)

Good luck to you OP.

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:39
OFSO:

Texas? I thought Texas was where men are men and the cattle run scared? Must be some other state then, Vermont?

You must have been in some strange area of Manhattan to hear the Polish language. Must have been tourists. Or cleaning ladies on their break. Most of the time in Manhattan one hears many other languages but the predominate one these days being the language which those south of our border/The Big River speak. I think it's known as Spanglish. :}

flarty:

That would be Avon of the cosmetics and lipsticks fame. However, I don't use their products. Neither does the Mrs.
My mom, many years ago, was an Avon Lady. Does that count? :}

Airborne Aircrew
24th Sep 2013, 17:40
RGB:

Congrats...

PM me and I'll give you the address of my local FFL. Your gat will have a nice home and you can come and shoot her whenever you wish... I'll even clean her for you afterwards... :ok:

Dak Man
24th Sep 2013, 17:42
Stay away from JFK departure routes ;)

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:44
BenThere:

The position I was contemplating is located in Odessa, Texas. Not far from Midland.

I think the Mrs. was scared off by the apparent proximity to The Grand River and an idea that escaping hordes of gang druggies coming north of the border would try to do us in.

pigboat
24th Sep 2013, 17:46
Best of luck in the new position rg. You should have taken New Hampshire though, Mark Steyn is being urged to run for public office. You could have had a Canadian for a senator. ;)

Cacophonix
24th Sep 2013, 17:46
RGB

Good luck with the move and the new job but I must ask you one thing, just what is it about Connecticut that has so got your goat over the years?

Caco

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:49
Airborne:

No need to. You have to keep in mind that the gun laws of NYC are not the same as in New York State. I will be working in the latter and not the former as I am currently. Granted, NY State gun laws are a bit on the restrictive side but nowhere near what they are in Connect-The-Crap.

For example, the newer NY State law bans the possession of a magazine capable of holding greater than 10 rounds. That's okay. To me that means I can buy 1,000 10 round magazines and fill 'em all. And considering my adeptness at swapping out empty magazines faster than you can say Auntie Em's Tits, I think that'll suffice. :}

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 17:58
Caco asked:

Good luck with the move and the new job but I must ask you one thing, just what is it about Connecticut that has so got your goat over the years?No one in CT ever stole my goat, Caco. What a strange question. (They had better not. Otherwise I'd have nothing to.... never mind.)

What has got my goat over the past 15 years living in CT, Caco?
Like I wrote in an earlier post, i could write a tome about CT which would put anything Stephen King has written to shame.

But, to put it in a nutshell, let me put it to you this way.

I've been most fortunate in my life to have lived in many places. here in America as well as Europe. I have met, and befriended, folks from different areas of the world, different cultures, different outlooks, etc.

But of all the people I have been fortunate to meet in my life I must say the vast, vast majority of the people of Connecticut are the most rude, nosy, intrusive, obnoxious, loud-mouthed, self-centered, ignorant, aggressive, and get-in-your-face ass-holes I have ever encountered. I can not, nor can the Mrs. who is a native, think of one redeeming feature of CT as a physical state nor of the people who live there.

Which usually explains the responses people give when we state we live in CT: "Augggh." Or, "Ohhhh, I see." Or, "Yes, well anyway..."

Answer your question Caco? or do you prefer to receive a copy of my tome which I will pen, upon retirement, and which will be named: "My 15 Years of Living In Hell"? :}:}:}

Airborne Aircrew
24th Sep 2013, 17:59
You might be able to swap out quicker than I can say "Auntie M's tits" but I bet I can fondle them quicker that you can swap out mags... :}

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 18:01
You are probably correct about that, Airborne!!!! :}:E:ok:

Airborne Aircrew
24th Sep 2013, 18:15
RGB:

Any pictures perchance? :}

Gordy
24th Sep 2013, 18:15
Kewl Beans....

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 18:36
Airborne:

Any pictures of Auntie Em? No chance. (Not that I have an Auntie Em mind you. I have an Auntie Agnes. But she's an old buzzard so I don't think you want to see a picture of her in her bikini at 93 years old. Do you?)

Here, however, is a photo of Auntie Em.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2009/10/19/1225788/407158-bikini-babes.jpg

racedo
24th Sep 2013, 18:52
Congrats RGB

Did drive through CT twice, 10 day trip to Boston and drove through on way to and from NYC to meet a buddy. Don't remember stopping :E

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2013, 18:56
racedo:

That's why Connecticut has the word Connect in it: it's the best state for getting from your origin to your destination, preferably without stopping.

CT is also notorious for lots and lots of traffic congestion. Especially along the I-95 corridor. (An interstate that runs from the state of Maine to the state of Florida) But the funny part, if there is anything funny about traffic congestion, is that no one ever stops but plods on. Gee, I wonder why?

Connecticrap's state motto is: The Constitution State. I really think it should be changed to: The Constipated State.

Dushan
24th Sep 2013, 19:00
Congrats, RGB. All the best. So now we are first hand neighbours...

mikedreamer787
25th Sep 2013, 01:34
Congrats RGB on your successful escape from the
Connecticnut and hope it all goes well in the Apple.

Nice pic of Auntie Em. That's one hell of a pudenda
she's got, and taking into account her rack too she's
certainly built for comfort!

Don't forget to drag yer arse over to my part of the
world when you can. No limit on magazine rounds
here! :)

500N
25th Sep 2013, 01:37
Well done RGB :ok:

At least in NY you wont look out of place with your "dress" :O

finfly1
25th Sep 2013, 01:43
What part of the Empire State will be your new home?

vaqueroaero
25th Sep 2013, 01:53
Can't say I blame you for not wanting to move to Odessa. I've been doing a lot of helicoptering around that area and there is just nothing there, other than oil wells. Lots and lots of oil wells. If you don't like the heat you've made a good choice!

However if you like warbirds then you messed up big time, as the Commemorative Air Force is based out in that area. Except Fifi, the only operational B29 in the world, she's based in Addison.

MagnusP
25th Sep 2013, 08:48
RGB, congratulations on the new post and the move.
I will not be a former Ranger now employed as an Avon lady
No shame in that, I'm sure. After all, the Royal Marines are fond of Avon products; they use Avon So Soft as a midge repellent when on exercises in Scotland!

Oh, and thanks for the piccie a few posts back; I hadn't realised MrsP was still moonlighting as a model.

Capetonian
25th Sep 2013, 08:53
I've never been to CT and quite possibly never will as the USA is not high on my list of places I wish to visit again since they make it so difficult and I've seen and enjoyed a lot of the places I wanted to see in that great country.

Best of luck.

Cacophonix
25th Sep 2013, 10:37
This reminded me of you RGB....;)

Rocky Horror Picture Show - I'm Going Home - YouTube

Caco

rgbrock1
25th Sep 2013, 13:06
finfly:

What part of the empire state? Schenectady area: nw of the capital city.

500N:

Eff off. :}

lomapaseo
25th Sep 2013, 14:30
What part of the empire state? Schenectady area: nw of the capital city.

Hopefully it's not Amsterdam, better if it's Scotia or Rotterdam

rgbrock1
25th Sep 2013, 15:18
Nope, Loma, Schenectady itself. I am familiar with the other three towns you listed, with Amsterdam NY being a bit of a pit as well as being the birthplace of Benedict Arnold, that traitorous bast***d!

500N
25th Sep 2013, 15:29
Caco
"This reminded me of you RGB....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif"

:D

RGB
You are welcome :O :ok:

Lonewolf_50
25th Sep 2013, 19:24
I am disappointed that RG did not come west. OH well, a short move is probalby a better thing with family still in the region.

Best wishes, RG. :ok:

500N
25th Sep 2013, 19:26
West ?

RGB stays as far away from "Gayfornia" as possible !!!

rgbrock1
25th Sep 2013, 19:31
500N:

LW50 is in Texas. Which is far enough away from Californication as to be comfortable.

LW50:

I was a bit disappointed as well BUT there was a very compelling reason to go with what I was offered in NY State:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ancient Observer
25th Sep 2013, 19:36
Congratulations.

Enjoy your new job.

As a Brit, the "modern" NY, and even NYC, now appears to be quite nice.

Not quite up to Austin, Tx and environs, or somewhere really nice like Charlotte, but getting there.

And I used to commute to Cleveland, Oh.

rgbrock1
25th Sep 2013, 19:39
AO:

Thanks. Charlotte is indeed are really nice city as is the rest of North Carolina. I've always had a kind of hankering for settling down in one of the Carolinas. We'll see.

Cleveland Ohio? CLEVELAND ROCKS!!!! Although I tend to call it CleavageLand as so many of the women in Cleveland seem to have big... um...yes.. boobs.

Example: she has Cleavage. Ooops, I mean she's from Cleveland.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p769/mattwilsonpt/127202_zpsae5817ca.jpg

Ancient Observer
25th Sep 2013, 19:58
Rocks?
Er, no, not really. But after a while when some OK restaurants opened up in downtown, it was marginally less miserable than Wilmington, De., which my old corporate lords and masters also forced me to go to.

A couple of years ago (shortly after retirement) we built our own best USA holiday. Lots of time. retired. We excluded NYC and NY as we had to go to a wedding there later. We'd already over-done Florida, and most of Ca.
Our itinerary was (much abbreviated). SFO for a few days, Monterey and all that stuff, then Sacramento, Yosemite, then lots of H1, Ca., then LA, via Santa Barbera and san Diego. Then off to (ugh) Atlanta, and all the stuff down from there......Macon, savannah, Charleston, Charlotte, and we missed so much!!!
I could do it all again.
I rather like lots of bits of USA, (even College Station has its attractions) but there is the rest of the world to see......

radeng
25th Sep 2013, 21:16
The only time I went to Wilmington, Delaware, we were having an IEEE meeting in the Holiday Inn. On checking in, we were told 'Don't go out on your own.'
As we sat in the hotel bar, about 6 or 7 black youths rushed in, started emptying the hotel shop into the shop bags and disappeared before eventually, hotel security got there.

Connecticut - the only place I've been there was Newington. That seemed OK, but it was 20 years ago.

Then as the 1815 song of the Erie Canal puts it

'And then there's Massachusetts, and what a state be sure
For she is always lying in taxation and manure'

I believe that at least as far as the taxation is concerned, that's still true.