PDA

View Full Version : EASA - FAA - N-REG - CONFUSION!

Capt_dan
24th Sep 2013, 13:27
Guys and girls..

I have been offered a job on an N reg biz jet based in the UK. This is a private aircraft not used for charter but for the share holders of the aircraft. I have been told I may have to convert my EASA FCL to possibly FAA to fly them around? Is this correct...? If so... What are the complications of converting or getting the correct paper work?

Answers in laymans terms please as all the CAA seem to do it baffle me with "Ifs" "Buts" and "Maybes"... :ugh: (Surprisingly huh!?)

Thanks

HS125
24th Sep 2013, 16:02
1. Get a STAND-ALONE FAA pilot certificate (Minimum Commercial and Instrument) Don't get a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license. there are numerous pitfalls to the latter.

2. Apply the type to your license assuming one is required by:
a) In the case of being the PIC, satisfy the requirements of 14CFR61.58
b) In the case of being SIC, satisfy the requirements of 14CFR61.55 and make sure you get the type actually applied to your license and not simply entering the records signed off in your logbook.

3. Make sure you maintain an FAA medical and (in the PIC case) an FCC permit for all operations outside the USA.

4. Enjoy a pragmatic and cost-effective approach to regulation.

In the future one might persuade the operator to move to the Manx registry which will validate the ICAO license of any appropriately qualified crew member thus achieving more flexibility.

jetopa
24th Sep 2013, 19:23
In addition to what HS125 already wrote, consider applying for a TSA authorization to acquire a US pilots license early on and get your FTO involved - this does take time. Good luck!

DEEC
24th Sep 2013, 21:19
The first thing to do is have your current licence verified by the FAA, which took me two months this year but may take longer by now. If you have the hours for a FAA ATP it's fairly simple, if you don't you might want to have a closer look at this post (http://www.pprune.org/north-america/300434-jaa-caa-casa-icao-conversion-faa-5.html#post6346373).

MarkerInbound
25th Sep 2013, 02:42
The FAA allows you to fly an N registered aircraft in a foreign country if you hold a license issued by that country. If you leave that country for another country you'll need a FAA certificate.

And the 61.75 "based on" certificate is a non-player because the FAA will only issue a private certificate based on a foreign license. If you're going to be paid you'll need at least a commercial.

Capt_dan
26th Sep 2013, 01:26
Thanks everyone... :)