PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Apples

OFSO
23rd Sep 2013, 17:09
Waterproof iPhone Advert: 'Owners Fooled'

A fake Apple advert claiming the new iOS 7 software makes iPhones and iPads waterproof has apparently fooled some users into destroying their devices.
The "advert" circulating on social media sites claims that updating devices with the operating system installs a "smart switch" that cuts off the phone's power supply when water is detected.
This, it claims, "prevents any damage to your iPhone's delicate circuitry".
The advert looks remarkably similar to an authentic Apple advertisement, with the same plain white background and minimalist font and style.
It seems some users have been fooled into dunking their expensive gadgets into water to test out the promised feature, only to render their devices useless.

This fake advert should of course not be confused with the genuine APPLE software update which makes the owners invisible, enables them to fly faster than a speeding bullet, endows them with the ability to sit outside Apple stores all night and primes them to buy the next and better version of the phone which will come to the market in twelve months time.

rgbrock1
23rd Sep 2013, 17:22
Anyone who plops any kind of electronic device into water and expects it to function afterward as it did before The Big Dive, deserves what they get in return.

Or, in the words of Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does.

The late XV105
23rd Sep 2013, 17:28
Anyone who plops any kind of electronic device into water and expects it to function afterward as it did before The Big Dive, deserves what they get in return.

Precisely how my wife's Sony Xperia 10" tablet gets de-fingermarked once a week or so:

http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/05/31/Sony_Xperia_Tablet_Z_35618809-0906_610x435.jpg

OFSO
23rd Sep 2013, 17:32
once a week or so:

Once a WEEK ?! Mine needs doing daily. Those old filthy habits I guess....

TWT
23rd Sep 2013, 21:17
My cheap Motorola Defy phone can be used to film underwater with no adverse effects and has been (not by me).Plenty of You Tube videos.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Sep 2013, 22:48
Once a WEEK ?! Mine needs doing daily. Those old filthy habits I guess....

Have recently discovered an electronic stylus, like a small pencil with a rubber tip, does everything the moving finger does - better - and doesn't get in the way of what you are trying to look at, and doesn't leave sticky finger prints. Almost makes tablet computing bearable. ( almost )

and No, a standard HB pencil with an eraser top doesn't work !!

Tankertrashnav
23rd Sep 2013, 23:02
Waterproof Apples
We could try bobbing for them at Hallowe'en and see if it works :)