PDA

View Full Version : Provoked DVT

gusting_45
23rd Sep 2013, 05:16
A few weeks ago I received a heavy blow to the back of my calf muscle which has resulted in a DVT. I have been diagnosed etc and am on an anticoagulant therapy regime for probably 3 months.

I spoke to my AME and my medical has been suspended,

He kindly emailed me some related links from the UKCAA website which I have reviewed. Sadly, it is written for the AME rather than the licence holder.

So I wonder if anybody has any recent experience and can give me some guidance on how long the suspension may continue and how the re certification process went.

Thank you in advance.

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2013, 09:36
What type of medical was suspended?

We had a PPL who was on Warfrin for the rest of his life and was as such grounded until the NPPL came along.

Then he was allowed to fly again.

gusting_45
23rd Sep 2013, 12:21
Sorry, should have mentioned. Class 1

gusting_45
23rd Sep 2013, 12:23
Also just been told that I will be on warfarin for 3 months.

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2013, 18:48
Its in the hands of Gatwick.

The only ones that can tell you are them.

gusting_45
23rd Sep 2013, 20:21
Thanks, I have checked the CAA website regarding medical certification. That stuff is written by medics for medics so I was hoping to get somebody's personal experience.

mad_jock
24th Sep 2013, 06:41
Its not really,

As far as I can see,

If you come off it you get a blood test and if everything is normal they have a look at your case. If the DVT is deemed due to an attributable event and your blood work is fine that's you done and dusted and off flying again.

If the warfarin is going to be a prolonged treatment you get a test every two months and after 6 months if the tests are all within limits you can start flying again on a multicrew restriction.

Personally I would start getting the test every month just incase they decide to continue the warfarin past the three months. At least your 6 months testing will have started and you won't have lost 3 months.

Most people get some form of rat poison these days when ever they spend a period in hospital. I know I did both times I went under the knife there was never mention of it on the case round up to get the class 1 back.

Bahn-Jeaux
24th Sep 2013, 09:26
Interesting.....I am in a similar boat, suspended due to Pulmonary Embolism...1st instance.
Have 6 months treatment ahead of me.
Have spoken to my AME who has advised once treatment has ended then upon discharge from my own Dr and subject to satisfactory medical,my ticket will be re-issued.
I am on Class 2 by the way.
Currently discussing my options to keep flying but with an instructor so I fly on their medical.....is it P1S or P/UT ?

mad_jock
24th Sep 2013, 11:53
its PUT but they can get a bit arsy about it in FCL. I have heard them claim you can't log anything.

We did have an old codger who was on Warfrin for the rest of his life and couldn't get a Class 2.

Then the NPPL came along and he was back flying solo again on his NPPL. Can't remember if he was Solo only or could take pax.

So maybe a NPPL is worth looking at.

Radgirl
24th Sep 2013, 12:36
I think the CAA will be primarily interested in your DVT

Warfarin does not break down the clot but stops it getting bigger and reduces the risk of a bit flying off to your lungs called a pulmonary embolus. This can result in what the CAA call sudden incapacitation and what doctors call a problem. So I suspect they will want evidence that the clot has resolved which your consultant will assess by ultrasound initially

Once the clot has gone you can come off the warfarin and within a week your clotting will be back to normal so the warfarin is not your concern. Indeed there are other drugs that can be substituted but that is off thread.

So you are probably best advised to ask the CAA what hoops you have to jump through in respect of your clot not your treatment

Bahn-Jeaux
24th Sep 2013, 14:35
mad_jock, I have been told similar about the NPPL and it seems if you can pass the HGV medical then flight can be resumed.

The complication comes if there is some reason you would not get HGV certification but still be able to drive a car and under those conditions its solo flight only or with a safety pilot who has been briefed as to your condition and under what circumstances they should take over.

CFI at the club has stated that PUT is acceptable but P1s is a no no.

mad_jock
24th Sep 2013, 17:27
P1s or PICUS can only be logged during a test or on a multicrew aircraft.

The CFI hasn't really got anything to do with it. And holds no input to what FCL decide you can do.

Radgirl
24th Sep 2013, 21:01
This forum should discuss issues not individuals as we don't have all the facts. However the CAA site is quite specific that someone on warfarin can fly ATP with multi crew limitation and comm and class 2 solo if on warfarin

The only requirement is for the underlying issue to be acceptable - if you are on warfarin for advanced heart disease the heart problems ground you but not the warfarin.

The other requirement is merely evidence of good clotting control, but if you are on warfarin you have regular blood tests for this and a good clinician should be able to do this in all people suitable to fly.

So warfarin should not be a problem based on this. The reason someone is on warfarin may be.