PDA

View Full Version : Concorde 'Stick and rudder book'

stilton
23rd Sep 2013, 02:58
Anyone read this / have a review / opinion and more importantly where can I find it ?

Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Sep 2013, 12:19
Top right hand shelf in my research office.

It's a really interesting book, albeit rather clumsily written from a training captain's personal notes, about how to fly this beautiful aeroplane - with some fascinating insights into how an aeroplane with some very unusual handling characteristics is flown well and safety. I very much enjoyed reading it. How accurate it is - no idea as I've never had anything, very sadly, to do with Concorde and it's a bit late now.

Where to buy a copy now? No idea - Amazon and ABE, my two usual sources seem to have none. I'd suggest haunting eBay, or setting up a search notification on ABE.

I'm sure that the National Aerospace Library at Farnborough will have a copy you can borrow.

G

Dave Barnshaw
26th Sep 2013, 12:29
I new the author of this splendid little book,it was Mike Riley,now retired and living in Swizerland,they may have a copy at The West London Aero Club at White Waltham as Mike used to fly James Black's AN2 from there.

blind pew
28th Sep 2013, 05:31
Read the book twice...first for me...great insight and the first aircraft in BA flown with pitch/power technique.
Mike was my trainer on the Iron Duck. First class.
Told a story which at the time was hard to believe - that he had flown a Trident and not only used manual thrust but had handled his own throttles...at the time believed impossible for mortals.
Can forward contacts to him as Occasionaly seek his advise on paragliding.