PDA

View Full Version : Scanner help

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Sep 2013, 23:13
14 years ago (!) my first Internet capable computer package came with an ACER Scan Prisa 640U flatbed scanner which connected perfectly with the computer, it came loaded with a free .pdf creator that -because it was free - printed the name of the programme across the bottom of each page. I could live with that, and happily copied documents to .pdf files that I could e-mail easily. When we replaced the original desktop computer with the one we still have, all transferred without problem, and continues as described to this day.

Later, I acquired a laptop with Windoze Vista - which wouldn't recognise what it considered an obsolete bit of equipment - but, I cunningly discovered a programme called Vue-Scan which did, and I continued as before, this way I could scan to my laptop to avoid interrupting Mrs. ExS seemingly permanently glued to our desktop.

Except - the scanning options were now somewhat restricted for the free download, but I could still accept what was on free offer for my simple needs.

Now ... I've had to replace my laptop and have once again downloaded the Vue-Scan free programme, which still recognises the old scanner, but .... it now prints its name across all the text a hundred or so times on an A4 size .pdf, making it almost unreadable. I'm asked to subscribe to the paid version to remove this blatant attempt to make me pay.

I won't.

But ...... does anyone know of a free programme that I can use to continue using my scanner as I have for the last 14 years ? ( why the fkcu can't they leave things alone %&*&^)& ?? )

I refuse to pay, I'll just have to get up in the middle of the night and do my scanning when the desktop computer is available !

Bushfiva
23rd Sep 2013, 04:04
It seems the driver pack that supports 310U/620U, 320U/340U/620UT+/640UT, 240UT/5100U, 640BT/640BU, 300U/3300U works in 32-bit versions of Windows 7 & 8.

Google will find it for you easily enough.

The Flying Pram
23rd Sep 2013, 17:25
A German PC Magazine has archived older copies of VueScan software:
VueScan Download Versionsarchiv - PC Magazin (http://www.pc-magazin.de/download/vuescan-555869.html?page=Versionsarchiv)
If you know which version was/is installed on your Vista machine (does it still work?), you may be able to get the exact same one to try on the new laptop.

Disclaimer: With any 3rd party sites one can never be completely sure what you're getting, so proceed with caution! Check any downloaded installer with AV & Malware scanners, and watch carefully at each stage of installation for "crapware" bundled and already ticked as a default. If the file size is no larger (and probably smaller) than the latest version it would suggest that no unwanted extras have been included.

I have 2 image manipulating software programmes that came free with scanners - both will access any device with the correct drivers installed. I also use the free programme "Fast Stone Image Viewer" which has the same facility, although I've had no need to try it.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Sep 2013, 01:15
Flying Pram

Many thanks for the link, I've downloaded a version that doesn't stamp their name over everything - for now ! Unfortunately, although I found my original version was there, it was only available for Windows XP, sadly I've had to move to Win 8 on this machine - tho' I must admit by using a series of Hotkeys I'm learning to live with it - like going back to MsDOS of the '80's !!

( If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It ! )

Cheers.

Bushfiva
24th Sep 2013, 01:38
Windows 8? That's got a nice little scanning utility built in. Look in the control panel or run wfs.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Sep 2013, 09:20
You're a retired ATPL - c'mon man, get down to PC World and get yourself a new one! I've still got my old Epson 1200 scanner but when I recently changed printers I opted for one with a built in scanner which shows that my old Epson came out of the ark! The new one provides higher resolution, it's much quicker and was dramatically cheaper than the old one too.

Paraffin Budgie
24th Sep 2013, 11:20
You could try this:

iCopy ? Free Photocopier (http://icopy.sourceforge.net/)

Works for me.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Sep 2013, 23:30
You're a retired ATPL

So long retired that my pension isn't worth the stamp on the envelope. (but we won't go there ! )

My I.T. man selling my new laptop tried that ploy i.e. buy a new all-in-one gadget, but I hate printers having been through about three until I settled on the present Laser B&W one, which works well, so I don't need to go there, my scanner used to copy the few docs. I need to copy, and probably will again when I kick it into submission, anyway I have reasonably close access to a free, modern, all singing, office copy machine, and I never send fax now - tho' the old fax machine can still be brought into service if needed. The old scanner does everything I want it to on the desktop, all aspects of which work well. I only want it on my laptop so that I can use it when my wife is hogging the desktop, l I just have to be patient - not a notable attribute of mine.

Thanks for all the help guys, anyway. PPRune is a great saviour, almost like being on the flight deck again, where there was always someone who was an 'expert' on whatever topic was needed to pass the wee small hours.

Saint Jack
25th Sep 2013, 02:06
I've found myself in a similar situation having had my all-in-one through many changes of computer and operating systems. In a last attempt to avoid ditching my otherwise functioning AIO I downloaded 'FreeOCR' from Cnet (but watch those damned add-ons that re-arrange your desktop and are next to impossible to remove). FreeOCR allowed me to continue with basic scanning functions.

obgraham
25th Sep 2013, 04:19
Vue Scan is a nifty bit of kit, and worth giving them a few dinarii for it.

izod tester
25th Sep 2013, 06:56
With the caveat that I have not used Win 8, I have Virtualbox installed on my Win7 64 bit PC with an XP Pro virtual machine which does have drivers for my Epson 640U scanner (not supported by Win 7) and save the scans to a directory which is shared by the Win 7 host OS. I also have some Linux virtual machines which can also use the scanner in the same way.

Provided you still have the installation media for XP (or even Win 95 for that matter) you could easily have a virtual machine to handle your scanner running concurrently with your host Win 8 applications.

The Flying Pram
25th Sep 2013, 19:19
With the imminent demise of Microsoft support, you could keep your eyes peeled for a cheap XP machine, and just use it to run the scanner. Transfer scanned files to your newer machine with a USB stick. So long as it never goes near the internet, there's little need to keep it updated SO LONG as you AV check the memory stick before swapping from one to the other.