PDA

View Full Version : First time VFR departure from Tamworth

Aviater
22nd Sep 2013, 07:28
G'day all.

I'm planning to depart YSTW VFR Northbound for Brisbane and I'm unfamiliar with Tamworth.

Can anybody give me some hot hints on the procedure?

From what I read, I'll have to depart below A030 via GATE WEST and then turn onto my Northbound track.

Seems like a pain to track that far west when I'm headed North.

If I lodge a plan will I still be required to depart via GATE WEST?

Cheers.

Scott C
22nd Sep 2013, 08:09
I just had to re-read your post and re-check what forum it was posted in, as we don't have any airfields in Tamworth...

Tamworth, UK that is ;)

MakeItHappenCaptain
22nd Sep 2013, 08:50
Yep, definitely posted in the Pacific, not the UK forum.

Maybe someone needs to check their own medication?

Bankstown Boy
22nd Sep 2013, 09:32
You'll find TW tower pretty friendly and easy to deal with. They will most likely clear you however you have planned it, whether direct Armidale or up the New England highway.

One thing to watch out for is the terrain. TW is nestled to the south of a (for Aus) pretty high and long east/west'ish mountain range. You will need to climb about 3-3,500 within 10 Nm of departure to get onto the escarpment VFR. Pretty scenery though!

Have fun

Aussie Bob
22nd Sep 2013, 09:57
Without a plan in the system:

"You" Tamworth Tower this is Aviater Bravo Charlie, flight details outside the zone

"Tower" Aviater Bravo Charlie go ahead details

"You" Aviater Bravo Charlie for Brisbane direct, request taxi clearance received ATIS

"Tower" Aviater Bravo Charlie clear taxi holding point xxx runway xxx

"You" Clear taxi holding point xxx runway xxx, Aviater Bravo Charlie

"You (somewhere along the taxiway)" Aviater Bravo Charlie request airways clearance

"Tower" Aviater Bravo Charlie airways clearance is depart on track to Brisbane climb not above 3500 (or whatever)

blah blah blah

Just start and go, works for me every single time. Good confident radio = easy clearance BUT take what clearance you get given. Be prepared to track outbound via somewhere (not likely at Tamworth). Have the VTC on your knee. Fly visually.

In plain English, start and go, wing it, have fun. You only need to get OCTA which is pretty close by.

With a plan in the system:

Aviater Bravo Charlie for Brisbane, request taxi clearance received ATIS

Etc etc etc. A plan may make it a tad easier on the radio but VFR you are at the bottom of the pecking order and will still get what your given. Struth, at Tamworth heading north, OCTA is only about 5 miles away if you can dodge a few hills, and only 15 miles away if you want a little more height. Its pretty well a given that you will be cleared in this direction.

Me: A plan? Never. This has never caused a problem with clearances either. Remember, good confident radio will get you most things you want when you want them if your intent is OCTA asap.

triathlon
22nd Sep 2013, 10:04
What does the ERSA say?

Jack Ranga
22nd Sep 2013, 10:14
Just read the 30 page guide for Tamworth, should only take you about a week or so to comprehend :ok:

Scott C
22nd Sep 2013, 22:48
Bit uncalled for wasn't it, MakeItHappenCaptain?

Avgas172
22nd Sep 2013, 22:54
Welcome to PPRUNE Australia Scott .... :E

PA39
23rd Sep 2013, 07:33
There are more gates at Tamworth than Cubby Station ! :)

Aviater
23rd Sep 2013, 09:35
Awesome info from everyone. Thank you all! I did try the ATC phone number listed today with no luck but I did speak to a couple of local pilots and they said much the same as what's been said here.

All in all, feeling much better about local procedures.

On another note, I drew out a rough plan from Bankstown to Redcliffe today and boy what a minefield!

Cheers :)

Dick Smith
23rd Sep 2013, 22:23
And. Does he have to give a departure call?

Aussie Bob
24th Sep 2013, 03:50
Nope, no departure call necessary if flying into class G

Aviater
24th Sep 2013, 09:29
Surely if I depart below the step octa no departure call required? I've never given a departure call at Bankstown departing octa?

Howard Hughes
24th Sep 2013, 11:38
Put in a plan and go the direction that suits, keep in mind there are some decent hills between Tamworth and Armidale! ;)

Aviater
28th Sep 2013, 12:00
Just thought I'd let people know that thanks to a bit of reading, talking and friendly advice, my departure from YSTW was a piece of cake. Despite ATC changing the proc 3 times due traffic (kept me on my toes) they were friendly and happy to answer questions.

FYI they did ask for a ctr departure call at 11 miles from the drome.

Thanks for the input.