PDA

View Full Version : Removing iOS 7 from IPad?

Maxbert
21st Sep 2013, 21:14
My well-meaning but idiotic wife has just "upgraded" MY iPad to OS 7 (what posessed her? She never goes into the "Settings" menu... ?) :* :ugh:

Without going into the merits and demerits of OS7, I hate it with a passion after just 3 minutes- Any way of uninstalling or reverting back to the last 6.x version, or must I now throw my iPad away and buy an Android device? :mad: :mad: :mad:

*fires up laptop to search for divorce lawyers*

Maxbert

Garrie
21st Sep 2013, 21:16
From what I've read I'm afraid there is no going back...

I felt the same as yourself, however I have to be honest, ios7 is starting to grow on me...

FerrypilotDK
21st Sep 2013, 22:23
It has a different feel about it and although I know you don't want to discuss the merits, just give it a chance, as it does indeed grow on you rather quickly, the control panel, not having to go via the home button and the clarity....the iPhoto much more convenient.

You might end up having to buy her dinner, the the promise that she NEVER update you to iOS 8 in 3-4 years!

TRY2FLY
21st Sep 2013, 23:51
iOS 7 is the greatest load a sh1t apple has came up with in ages. I too hate it with a passion

crewmeal
22nd Sep 2013, 06:58
Maybe this might help the poor souls who hate iOS 7

How to downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6 - iPad/iPhone - Macworld UK (http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3469837&olo=email)

Maxbert
22nd Sep 2013, 08:02
thanks for that link, crewmeal :ok: I may just have to give it a try, as Mrs. Maxbert was unable to find the Safari launch button this morning... That'll learn her :E

I will hold off for awhile, though, and give the thing a chance...

Thanks all,

Maxbert

Background Noise
22nd Sep 2013, 08:26
I've done my iPad, as atrial before taking the plunge with the phone, and it is different as ever, probably better, but frustrating initially. Inevitably, some of the improvements won't be useful until the mac is on Mavericks, as in previous upgrades. Some features still not available in UK.

Just be careful of the default setting for the control centre to be available when locked - see below.

BBC News - Security holes unearthed in Apple's iOS7 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24170429)

LookingForAJob
22nd Sep 2013, 10:16
I haven't really played with iOS7 enough to make much comment about the new features.

BUT, the one thing I have spotted almost immediately is that the new thin typeface used is all but unreadable in bright daylight. I find it hard to believe that with all of the testing that Apple supposedly do, that this has not caused difficulties for any testers.

Shame really that such a fundamental part of the interface should appear to be a backward step.

That, and the surprisingly odd iPhone 5c which doesn't seem to fit into any sensible marketing or business strategy, makes me wonder whether we're seeing the impact of Steve Jobs' demise far faster than one might have expected.

Terry Dactil
23rd Sep 2013, 00:16
You can easily fix the thin typeface issue.
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Bold Text
(I did not like the thin typeface either).

Storm Girl
23rd Sep 2013, 01:27
I am unable to use yahoo mail on an iPhone 4, having installed ios7. It calls to disable private browsing. When I go to "settings", the private browsing prompt is not there. I saw a friend with a 4S, and his had the settings prompt.
Any ideas or suggestions?

peterc005
23rd Sep 2013, 03:02
Spend 5 minutes reading the iOS 7 documentation and it's easy.

iOS 7 does have some worthwhile improvements and I haven't had any problems yet.

Eventually you'll get forced by either Apple or an Apps vendor onto the iOS 7 path anyway, so all you can do is delay the migration.

LookingForAJob
23rd Sep 2013, 07:52
Thanks Terry - easy fix! :)

mixture
23rd Sep 2013, 12:43
Any ideas or suggestions?

Yes. The Private Browsing option is now in the app itself rather than "hidden" away in preferences.

Dan Dare
23rd Sep 2013, 13:09
iOS 5 was much better than 6. How do I get that one back? Google maps worked a treat on that and nothing has been the same since.

Gonzo
23rd Sep 2013, 13:22
Download Google Maps app. Bingo.

superq7
23rd Sep 2013, 13:25
Thanks Terry well worth doing. :ok:

Dan Dare
24th Sep 2013, 13:55
Downloading Google Maps does not get the map functionality that iOS5 had. Not just nostalgia - I know as I also have a legacy machine that works a treat.

Nige321
26th Sep 2013, 18:11
iOS 5 was much better than 6. How do I get that one back? It can be done but it's a pain... It will also break any apps which have updated since...

So what functionality is missing from the new Google maps that is in the 2-versions-old version...?

Unfortunately, you will eventually end up with a new device which will force you to use iOS7 (or iOS8, or 9...)...

Storm Girl
28th Sep 2013, 01:49
Mixture, top tip!
Thanks.