View Full Version : BUZZ to Bournemouth ??

Exel
6th May 2002, 17:25
Rumours have been circulating around the airport recently about Buzz alledgedly considering commencing operations from BOH later this year (Autumn/Winter). Three to four routes have supposedly been targeted.

The south coast could certainly do with a low cost carrier to compliment RYR's successful services from BOH, but it all seems a trifle ambitious to me.

Anyone care to comment :confused: :confused: :confused:

stevobeevo
6th May 2002, 19:37
Maybe this would give BOH the incentive to start the new and long overdew terminal. I feel that this is one of the reasons why BOH has been 'held back' in recent years. Look at the loss of the Thomson charters as soon as the new SOU terminal opened. I'm sure that with the backing of Manchester Airport PLC that things are changing and it wont be long before major expansion occurs. Just look at whats happened in the last year. BOH is oncourse to handle circa 380,000 PAX in 2002 compared to 266,000 in 2001.
If Buzz do come to BOH, then 2003 would be even better and if you include the proposed new Ryanair route then BOH will be giving SOU a run for their money in 2003!

Buster the Bear
7th May 2002, 10:54
I was told a while ago that RYR would fly to Bergamo and Buzz would launch services from Bournemouth from winter 2002.

Rumour also has it that most of the charter is moving from Southampton to Bournemouth from Summer 2003?

I see one of the route choped by BA CitiExpressFlyerRegional is Southampton to Frankfurt, is the RYR service from Bournemouth to Hahn having an effect?

stevobeevo
7th May 2002, 14:55
The FR BOH-HHN route is doing extremely well. Load factors around 80% and they weren't expecting them that high! The SOU-FRA route never performed well and I think that it would have been for the chop regardless of FR moving in on the route. It will be interesting to see the PAX numbers for the SOU-FRA route when they are published by the CAA in the next few days, Februarys numbers are released this month and this is the month that the route to HHN commenced. Interesting to hear about the charters but I'll be surprised if its not just a rumour.

dv8
7th May 2002, 16:49
stevobeevo

Err SOU-FFT?

Name: Capital City
IATA: FFT
ICAO: KFFT
Frankfort, Kentucky, United States

Name: Frankfurt Main
IATA: FRA
ICAO: EDDF
Frankfurt, Germany

stevobeevo
7th May 2002, 17:29
FRA then if it really is that important to you, seeing as though you can't pick up on which airport we're discussing here. Sometimes the people on this site are soooo anal, its unbelievable. If you're not all Ryanair bashing you start being ridiculously pedantic. Whether you want FRA or I use FFT, you now haven't the option to fly to either from SOU.

Thank you and goodnight.

dundoniandean
7th May 2002, 18:12
Stevobeevo.....

Could you point me in the right direction for finding out from CAA about international sector stats from UK airports? I've only ever managed to locate UK based airline info and UK domestic route info.......

Yours very hopefully,

Dundoniandean.:)

FlyingIrishman
7th May 2002, 19:37
I think the yellow lot are being a tiny bit ambitious here. While I don't think FR will base aircraft at BOH, there will certainly be more routes from the continental bases which will be added over the next couple of years.

If the buzz lot decide to launch new routes that go anywhere near FR territory, then we'll see another price war, like the one they had with Go on the DUB - Scotland routes.

Stevobeevo, have load factors on the BOH-HHN route really gone as high as that? They were cr@p to start with!!

Exel
7th May 2002, 20:08
Whilst at BOH a couple of weeks ago i counted the pax off/on the HHN flight (156/133) and if these figures are regularly repeated then RYR must be extremely pleased with the results.

stevobeevo
7th May 2002, 21:31
The web address for the caa stats is as follows

http://www.caa.co.uk/erg/erg_stats/default.asp

Then click on Airport Stats. Then scroll down to the year/month you desire and click. Then you are given a fair number of choices. For international stats click on Int.Route Analysis. Theres also Domestic route analysis. From what I can figure out the Int. routes have to carry over 5,000 PAX per annum to be reported.

The BOH-HHN route did struggle to start with. I know one flight departed with around 50 PAX (139ish empty seats!). But after a slow start the route has really picked up. Flights are generally 130 to 160 PAX. Prices are still very low and this seems to be generating the numbers, but all FR routes currently have extremely low starting fares.

fokker70
8th May 2002, 08:28
Good Luck to Buzz, if they base aircraft there. Pity that FR didn't do it first - by the time FR add routes over the next few years some other low cost airline will have claimed the territory theirs by then. FR need to move a bit quicker on this one!

FlyingPiglet
8th May 2002, 22:28
Erm, to achieve 80% average they'd have to be flying full on peak days which seems unlikely. I've only flown 4 sectors and they've been 80/60/100/120 but then I'm a cheapskate and fly when it's £5+tax hence off peak!

Desk Driver
9th May 2002, 12:36
Stevo

FRA then if it really is that important to you, seeing as though you can't pick up on which airport we're discussing here

Be fair Ryanair do think that Torp is in Oslo and Hahn is in Frankfurt to name just 2.

So we would not be surprissed to get off a FR jet and find that it's either had a major Divert or Ryanair can't pick up on which airport we're discussing at the time of booking?:p :D :p :D

Exel
9th May 2002, 12:43
Guys - how about reading the Topic Subject header :-

BUZZ TO BOURNEMOUTH ??

Seems to be turning into a RYR discussion :eek: :eek:

stevobeevo
9th May 2002, 14:27
As always. Just the slightest mention of their name and the hoards come screaming from the hills.:eek: :mad:

Exel. If Buzz are coming to BOH, do you know when this would be announced? If they are starting in October, would August be a good guess?:)

Exel
21st May 2002, 19:29
My second visit to Bournemouth in as many weeks and i now here that the airport authority have closed one of the terminal shops to accomodate new office space for BUZZ.

Maybe one of the locals could confirm this !

jocko0102
22nd May 2002, 10:58
MAPLC seem to be buying airports and turning them into low cost airline bases.What about MANCHESTER?

stevobeevo
22nd May 2002, 14:38
The former airport run tax free shop called The Zone closed this sunday and is being turned into two offices. One for Execair and the other is a mystery???? The airport itself is witnessing a lot of improvements to infrastructure i.e. taxiways and car parks. Could this be a sign of things to come? Who knows! We will have to wait and see.:rolleyes: