PDA

View Full Version : A badly scratched lens. Any hope?

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 07:59
A pal of mine has scratched a sizable pro-video camera lens. It's an add-on one he uses for transferring films to video at close range. Cost = hundreds.

I wondered if it was the bluing only. Has anyone got experience with having lenses re-blued?

AtomKraft
21st Sep 2013, 09:58
At the risk of stating the obvious, check and see if the scratch has any actual, observable, effect on the performance of the lens.

I saw pics taken through a Nikon lens which had a smashed and cracked front element. There was no discernible difference compared to its performance when undamaged.

I was surprised.

mixture
21st Sep 2013, 10:08
Also at the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried asking the manufacturer for an estimate.

lomapaseo
21st Sep 2013, 14:31
I wondered if it was the bluing only. Has anyone got experience with having lenses re-blued?

Good chance it was the coating only, unless you worked real hard to scratch the glass as well

I screwed up a cheapo camera lens adapator once by gluing it on the camera with super glue. It seems the super glue also dissolves the bluing to the point where you can't see through it.

Send the lens back for repair/refurbishment or try rubbing the bluing off with a cleaner yourself and buy a new lens to replace it.

dubbleyew eight
21st Sep 2013, 14:40
now you know why, back in the days, we put a UV filter on the end of a lens.
it wasnt particularly for the filtering, it was just the cheapest way of protecting the lens.

mixture
21st Sep 2013, 14:43
it wasnt particularly for the filtering, it was just the cheapest way of protecting the lens.

Modern coatings are tough and don't need that nonsense anymore, plus most people will only make things worse because they'll stick the cheapest UV filter available on the front.

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 17:07
Yes, I did that with my Nikon D50, but then, I'm cheap.

The patch is severely scratched and all because there was a minute mark and an attempt was made to rub at it. The original mark did show up on the film copies, and it was for paid work, so not acceptable. My feeling is, it's #[email protected]%ered, but there's a chance the scintillation caused by the mark would have all but disappeared with a fluid filler. Academic, now.

Send it back? Probably cheaper to find one on e-baaay, but it's his call. Happened at a lean time work-wise. These things always do.

I have seen pro cameramen whip out a hankie in the rain and rub at a 2,000 quid lens. Always stunned me.

parabellum
22nd Sep 2013, 07:20
Might find the answer here :

https://www.google.com.au/#q=how+to+repair+a+scratched+camera+lens