PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you'd kept.

Lon More
21st Sep 2013, 08:38
and before the usual suspects jump in, my virginity isn't one of them.

A large number of books have disappeared over the years, including a tea chest full of stuff left at my parents' home.
There was a beautiful book about the BRM H16 formula 1 engine, which included a series of transparent overlays of the engine in cut-away form.
A pile of BEA brochures from the mid 1960s with details of all their fleet.
An original Lotus workshop manual and parts list for the Elan S2

Amazing how stuff I don't want turns up; my marriage certificate and the final divorce settlement spring to mind. :mad:

Cacophonix
21st Sep 2013, 08:46
There was a beautiful book about the BRM H16 formula 1 engine

I always thought that the BRM V16 sounded better than the H16...

BRM V16 Engine Sound - YouTube

I curse the loss of a beautiful bound coloured history of motor racing given to me by my parents on my 13th birthday but most of all I miss my parents...

Caco

SMT Member
21st Sep 2013, 09:57
Charlotte: For her magnificent breasts
Amalie: For her body and arse
Louise: For the best BJs ever

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 10:08
Everything . . .

As I sit here house-sitting for a nice lady I barely know, I wonder where all my stuff is now.

Much of it went to the dump at Kirby-le-Soken; Christian name terms with the workers there, I was.

Ten weeks it took to clear the place and fill my container unit. So full was it, that nothing could be got at, and now, ten years later, the stuff is no doubt valueless. This trip, I couldn't even find my jeans that I left there in 2011.

Maybe, I should say, I wish I'd scrapped everything.

A pal of mine who was seriously rich, ended up totally broke. 'Kind' friends offered to look after stuff - including a vast American style fridge - and virtually everything has fallen off the radar. All happened because he worked too hard at something he loved but dropped the ball on the big company. Despite everything, he's still a fun bloke.

Life. Such an odd experience. Stuff? Well, I'd be well pi$$ed if I got to the pearly gates and Saint Peter said, Where's all your stuff? What do you mean you didn't think you'd need it?

dubbleyew eight
21st Sep 2013, 10:14
when I was a kid I had a polished wooden plaque in the shape of a fish.
on it was printed
"even a fish would stay out of trouble if it just kept its mouth shut"

words of the wise... wish I still had it.

mikedreamer787
21st Sep 2013, 11:26
All those "How and Why" books I had as a kid.

http://stilgherrian.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/how_and_why_collage_300w.jpg

They were no bullshit just knowledge.

Noah Zark.
21st Sep 2013, 11:38
Things you wish you'd kept.
............my mouth shut when I proposed! :ugh:

onetrack
21st Sep 2013, 11:57
All the stuff I lost when my house burnt down - which happened because of a power utility service fault (their 3-phase wires along the street crossed up in a high wind, and fed 90V into a neutral wire, thus boosting the house voltage to 330V. My bedside clock melted first, it set fire to the curtains, and the rest is history. No-one was home.

It's not a nice feeling coming home just after dark, after a long hard day, and finding firetrucks in your yard - and the volunteer fire brigade chief (who just happened to be my head mechanic) comes over and says, "Sorry mate, you haven't got a home anymore!"

All my photos, important records, small treasured gifts, the collections, the trophies, the books, my Tonolini DB shotgun and .22 magnum rifle - it was all just blackened melted scrap, and bits of charcoal.
31 years ago early next month, and it still hurts. From that day on, I have ensured everything I want to preserve is in a fireproof bag, or stored in a fire proof safe, or stored where there is no chance of any electrical fire (unpowered shed).

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2013, 12:01
A small item, but I was persuaded to send a domino set to the tip.
I had had that set for as long as I could remember.

mikedreamer787
21st Sep 2013, 12:03
Just make sure you've got a lightning conductor
installed on that unpowered shed of yours mate!

Lightning Mate
21st Sep 2013, 12:25
1965 3.8 E-Type drophead.

bcgallacher
21st Sep 2013, 12:35
A 1949 Scott Squirrel that I had as a student in the 60's

Sunnyjohn
21st Sep 2013, 13:20
I have only three things with which I would not want to part:
- My American-built 1965 flat top Epiphone guitar
- My Claud Butler aluminium frame bike
- My wife and family
All three have and still do keep me young, happy and healthy. The rest? - well stuff just comes and goes . . .

onetrack
21st Sep 2013, 14:07
Ooh, yes - How could I forget my Absinth Yellow HJ Holden Sandman Ute? Purchased brand new in April 1975. I did over 300,000kms in it, wore it out and ran it into the ground - and turned it into a fox-shooting ute on the farm, when it couldn't be road-registered any more. :(

Here's a bloke (link below) who has restored a nearly identical ute - but he's cheated a little by putting the 4-headlight front panel from a Statesman on it.
The originals (and mine) only had 2 headlight front ends - but the next models of Sandman (the HX) had the 4-headlight front ends as standard.

These models of Holden commercials (HQ to WB) were the greatest and most durable product to ever be produced by GMH. They were fitted with a full length chassis, and I've found quite a few still running around with 600, 700, and 800,000 kms on the clock.
It's amazing the number of these commercials that have actually survived, and they're rapidly becoming collector items.

Mr Restoration Gallery | Paul Sharp's 1975 Absinth Yellow Sandman ute. (http://www.mrrestoration.com.au/gallery/paul-sharps-1975-absinth-yellow-sandman-ute-/)

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 14:44
Wonder if wummin understand such devotion to trucks. Probes?

oopspff7
21st Sep 2013, 20:37
My 1960's Vox AC30.

Lon More
21st Sep 2013, 20:54
but most of all I miss my parents...

:ok: Caco.

My Dad died on the night of the Big Storm back in 1988. Took more than 24 hours to get to Derby from the Netherlands. Still so many things I should have asked and so many more where I should have listened.
Mum went rapidly downhill after that so answers were hard to come by.

gingernut
21st Sep 2013, 21:41
Recently visited a "toy and hobby" fair at The Newquay "Classic Airforce.

Many highlights to the day, including walking around a BAC 1-11, but had a really wierd experience- I picked up some books which were sort of familiar, opened them and the pictures (and actually the smell of the ink), brought me back to being about seven.

gingernut
21st Sep 2013, 21:48
It's a bit blurred, the Ginge was fiddling with her Mirkin when she should have been paying attention to the shutter speed :-(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSC_0067_zpse82e5834.jpg

fenland787
21st Sep 2013, 21:56
Caco, Lon More - struck a chord there - how I wish I'd kept my original flight back to the UK during 787 testing because my dad was poorly. I gave in to huge pressure to postpone by 3 days as tests were running late, I didn't get to see him again.

500N
21st Sep 2013, 22:02
Things that got given away or sold by my parents
when we moved to Aus from the UK while I was
at school so had no say.

1. Pianola - bloody Aunt flogged it off as soon as she got it.
2. Metal train set, a proper one, heaps of tracks and carriages.

Things I wish I hadn't sold.
Two really nice 450 calibre Black Powder double rifles, one with hammers
and one sidelock with little windows in the side.

OFSO
21st Sep 2013, 22:03
a) My first real girlfriend
b) If she'd kept her youth*

*By this I mean her "youthful looks", not the other bloke who was bonking her as I subsequently discovered.

Edit: no I don't not really. Well, sort of. Maybe. Or perhaps not. No, definitely not.

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 22:31
A post a real chap/bloke understands.

Loose rivets
21st Sep 2013, 23:04
I went to a ship's container unit today. Well, it has been on my mate's field for 15 years, but it has a tarred roof and air conditioning. My overspill is in there.

Blooooooooody Nora! I'd forgotten. Boxes and boxes and boxes of overspill.
First thing I recognize is a canister of butane. A red one. It's the one I used for years to do the heavy plumbing and heading of bearing housings. Never seemed to run out. 30 years old now and never been filled.

Electronic gizmos, ex RAF cubbyholes all in RAF blue-grey. They're filled with real tools. Ring spanners marked with Britool, (sad what reviews that name gets now.) Whitworth spanners. Power saws. An electronic piano tuner.
(I made that, but an app on my phone does a better job now.) A fine pair of dividers obviously made by Bently or Rolls. They're in a wooden case, you know. Almost an art job. Oh, just what I'm looking for: the four-pound hammer and a three inch cold steel chisel. That'll test the mortar on this house.

A large part of my life is in there - and it's sound, thanks to the A/C, but the old guy that was intending to lift the big Makiter angle grinder with a wire brush on it, can't lift it now. I used to go up the willow tree with a tungsten blade on it. Sheeeeeeesh, it was quick . . . and deadly, but I knew no fear then. I once sucked its own wire around the brush. Couldn't see a thing. It didn't pull the plug out of the socket, it pulled the socket out of the wall, and wound the rubber wiring up with the flex. A moment's carelessness and an hour taking up the floor to the nearest Bakelite box.

Stuff, stuff and more stuff. And this is the tip of an iceberg. I could scarce lift the toolbox I brought 'home'. Just the remnants of the socket set. Oh, never mind. That was a different life.

Apart from one shelf - an un planed piece of mahogany, there were also some oak doors. They came from my g-aunt's shop. The buyer said they were fitting a new window, so I collared the old doors. They still look lovely, real French polish. Took them out 43 years ago when they were a mere 100 years old. Boxes of plugs - some of them wooden, turned on a lathe. They don't make plugs like that anymore.

The zolpidem is kicking in, and the vino is going down. Fingers loosening on the worldly possessions. Slowly, but nevertheless, loosening. It's a good thing . . . though, I would like my woodwork bench back. It has a fine Stanley vice on it, lined with oak, you know. Not quite sure where that is, perhaps with my mate's fridge.

cumulusrider
21st Sep 2013, 23:22
My target pistols. Just because some nutter in scotland decides to go on the rampage the government bans all handguns. So when the olympics were held here last year we could barely compete as all our shooters had to travel to france to practice! My Hammerli was the best piece of precision engineering I ever owned.

Lotus elan s3 se - sex on wheels. ( not that you could in that interior)

exeng
22nd Sep 2013, 01:16
Norton Commando 750 with a 'combat' engine. Bought it brand new in 1973 - wrote it off and 'bought it back' from the insurance. Rebuilt it and drove it for about a year before selling it to a dealer.

Sounds a bit sad but I actually still dream about that bike whilst asleep - I've had more powerful bikes since (and no bike now because of her indoors), but that Norton was the business for me.

Regards
Exeng

ChrisVJ
22nd Sep 2013, 01:23
The big photo album my grandparents brought back from Egypt when I was four, had all my first photographs in it. Lost without trace about twenty years later.

The sandstone rock my seven year old daughter found in a cove near Split when we were on a sailing holiday. Had bright splashes of oil paint on it where some artist had tested his/her colours. Wife threw it out without asking when we emigrated.

I think we actually kept everything else, ever.

A little while ago I used a throttle cable grip nut I got in a batch of twenty when I ran a garage 45 YEARS AGO.
"See" I said, "I told you they would come in handy sometime." I still have nineteen left. Anyone need one?

Lon More
22nd Sep 2013, 07:48
Lotus elan s3 se - sex on wheels. ( not that you could in that interior)
You could you know, with the top down :E:E:ok:

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 07:53
Quote:
............my mouth shut when I proposed!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ovation
22nd Sep 2013, 09:26
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/OvationGX2/2013-09-22171920_zps2e763b67.jpg (http://s239.photobucket.com/user/OvationGX2/media/2013-09-22171920_zps2e763b67.jpg.html)

In my distant youth I was a Bass player in a Victorian country Rock and Roll band. My first bass was a crappy Ibanez, but the band was quite a success and I soon had enough to buy one identical to the one pictured, but in a Midnight Blue instead of White.

After I got married I was as poor as a church mouse and no longer in the band, so the Burns was the only thing I had of value and it simply had to go. I can't remember what I paid for it back in 1964, but in 1968 I got about 10c in the dollar (as you would expect). That guitar was the one and only thing I've ever had to sell in my entire life and I've never forgotten the pain of parting with it and I always vowed to buy another at whatever the cost.

Fast forward to early June 2013 when I was visiting London. I hooked up with the dealer (Barry Gibson) and at great expense I ended up with the bass in the picture, and even had the wife's blessing to buy it.

Unfortunately I'm too old for a rock and roll band, even though I'm (just) younger than Mick Jagger, but anyway Mrs Ovation said I'd lose something else if I tried that idea. :):)

Worrals in the wilds
22nd Sep 2013, 09:34
It's not a nice feeling coming home just after dark, after a long hard day, and finding firetrucks in your yard - and the volunteer fire brigade chief (who just happened to be my head mechanic) comes over and says, "Sorry mate, you haven't got a home anymore!"How awful :(. I don't have many fears but that's one of them.

I wish I'd kept my Hornby train set. I've hung on to pretty much everything else, as shown by the occasional caustic parental reminder re the big stack of boxes under the ol' homestead :\ ('but it's all important, and you've still got room for the lawnmower if you park it correctly :}:}. No those boxes aren't mine, talk to the sister when she gets back from Wheresthatistan...') I'm sure some of you can relate from the other POV ;).
Actually the train set may still be under there somewhere; I'll have to check. And the Commodore of course, but that's been dealt with on another thread.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Sep 2013, 10:15
My 1962 Iain Allan Combined Volume locospotters book, with the number of every loco I had ever "spotted" over a 3 year period in the early 60s. No idea what happened to it.

As soon as I discovered girls I forgot all about trains for several years. By the time I thought about steam trains again they'd all gone, and so had the book, but there were still loads of girls around! Should have postponed girls till the end of the steam era - bloody hormones! :(

mikedreamer787
22nd Sep 2013, 10:35
I wish I'd kept my Hornby train set.

As a train set-wrecking kid Worrals I don't think you
would've invited me over to play with your Hornby.
Come to think of it I probly would've trashed your
doll house and totalled your trike too!

As a child I had evil compelling urges to wreck stuff. :E

Effluent Man
22nd Sep 2013, 10:46
Lon -It was October '87 btw.My old Victorian pile was the only undamaged house in our village. Wish I had kept '62 Healey 3000.

AtomKraft
22nd Sep 2013, 11:08
My '65 Sunbeam Tiger.

Bought it in '89, restored it over 4 years, crashed it, rebuilt it again, hopped it up, etc, etc....

Oh wait!

I've still got it! :E

Big Hammer
22nd Sep 2013, 19:57
Ovation. a lovely looking axe. Sold my Precision as a youth but bought an other a few years back. Always regreted selling the first one. Mr Dainteth, where are you and do you still have it?

zarniwoop
22nd Sep 2013, 20:30
A 1976 VW Beetle in Mars red that I passed my driving test in, it belonged to my brother at the time, it was his 21st birthday present from the parents which I inherited a few years later. Probably worth stupid amounts of money now.

A 1989 Honda Prelude 2 liter twin carb auto, the one with the pop up headlights, not the most sporty car but great fun. No idea what it would be worth now.

Four box files full of advertising literature from numerous desktop computer manufacturers from the early to mid 1980s, probably no financial value but would have great nostalgia value, I wish I had kept them just so I could donate them to the Science Museum library at Wroughton

crewmeal
22nd Sep 2013, 20:33
My Hornby Dublo train set. It would be worth a fortune now. I can almost feel chugging around My Dad's new Axminster!

OFSO
22nd Sep 2013, 21:40
Ovation - thanks ! because it brings back the fact I too had a Burns - bright glossy red, though. Me and Johnny both had matching Burns guitars as anyone who remembers the Leicestershire band Gary and the Midnights can testify.

Boy, you opened up a door to my past there......

500N
22nd Sep 2013, 21:45
Hornby Train sets.

Further to my previous post, that must be what I had
as did a few others.

Yes, I think they would be worth a fortune by now.

racedo
22nd Sep 2013, 21:48
Pet dog when I was a kid..................walked half a mile from bus home and he was there for at Bus stop me and bro every day, mum used to say he would get up and disappear and she knew to put on food as we would be home in 20 minutes.

Lived in rural area and he went everywhere with me and wobetide any stranger who came near and he unsure of. Soft as anything but understood who he was protecting even if I didn't.

Love my littlies to have a similar dog..........

500N
22nd Sep 2013, 21:53
racedo

My last dog went everywhere with me. Some said it was my
substitute for children :O

But she was the same, playful, good with kids yet if she didn't
like something, she'd let me know. Didn't like other dogs much
in terms of wasn't interested as opposed to agro but chased a
German Shepherd away down the street !!!

barry lloyd
22nd Sep 2013, 22:04
+ on the Hornby Dublo - even though it was 3-rail :D. I sold it many years ago after moving so many times I could never set it up properly. Also, my parents had an upright piano and in the stool was a lot of original sheet music going back to the 1940s. After my father died, my mother threw the piano out before moving and with it went the stool and the sheet music. Of course, it was worth next to nothing then. Apparently it's quite valuable now! :{

vulcanised
22nd Sep 2013, 22:32
Things you wish you'd kept

Quiet

Frequently

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2013, 22:45
It's interesting that some yearn for something that would be worth lots of money now, whilst others miss a sentimental item (even if it was human).

Another item that I miss is my Hohner Harmonica (actually a Chromonica). It was lost when I moved away from home - my mother probably gave it to my nephew . . .

There is no way that I would pay that amount of money nowadays - but I wouldn't sell it either if I still had it.

Hydromet
22nd Sep 2013, 23:14
My Grandfather's broadaxe and 2-man crosscut saw. Had nowhere to put them when I cleaned up their old house after their death, now they'd be great on display in my wood shop.

500N
22nd Sep 2013, 23:20
Barry

"Also, my parents had an upright piano and in the stool was a lot of original sheet music going back to the 1940s."

The Pianola I spoke about earlier, we had a heap of original rolls
that went with it.

racedo
22nd Sep 2013, 23:41
Didn't like other dogs much
in terms of wasn't interested as opposed to agro but chased a
German Shepherd away down the street !!!

Replacement for 1st dog was a German Shepherd.................lovely dog who my Dad nursed back from distemper. Use to clamp his mouth on my hand to remove slices of cheese, always careful as he knew he would get more.

One day coming from walk a neighbour had couple of evil dogs who chased him, thinking damm they get back home and I am in for it. 30 seconds later dogs coming back as fast as they could and he at them, they came close to his territory and he wasn't having it. He stopped level with me looked up and always figured it as a silly grin back at me. Dogs never came near him again :E

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Sep 2013, 23:45
Mrs ExS reckons that she's made 3 mistakes in her life ....

1) Sold an XK-140 Jaguar ( her first car )

2) Didn't buy a plot of land at Malibu Beach for $75k. ( her mate who did built a house that is now on the market for $11m !! )

3) Married me.

Ref. the Jag. - her father, an engineer, ( now deceased ) reckoned selling was the best thing she did, he was fed up with being called out at all hours to fix various problems with what he reckoned was a heap of s**t.

We have 2 houses and a hangar full of boxes we brought with us 20 years ago - still largely unopened. Do we need it ?

broadreach
23rd Sep 2013, 00:04
Rivets, you touched several nerves with your #24, but the carpenter's bench mention went deep. I'm a hoarder but I GAVE away the 2m long bench which I'd had for 20 years when I moved from a house to an apartment, despite having held onto the thing through multiple moves and cities.

tony draper
23rd Sep 2013, 00:05
Hmmm, nobody mention hair yet.:rolleyes:

500N
23rd Sep 2013, 00:06
Tony

Still have a full head of hair :ok: :O

SASless
23rd Sep 2013, 00:07
She was not a "Thing" but yes....Ivana Leali.....what a treasure!:{

mikedreamer787
23rd Sep 2013, 03:46
I still got me hair Drapes. Thinning a
bit but still have it.

Me pubes haven't turned grey either. :)

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Sep 2013, 08:23
Against my better judgement, I allowed a friend to borrow a few books. They were never returned and said friend dropped off the radar. This was 20 years ago and the loss still gnaws at my soul.

I lent a number of David Grisman LPs (remember them?) and my old dreadnought guitar to my mandolin teacher, a batty old duck. She sat on the records and destroyed them, giving me back the covers with a thousand shattered pieces in them, and moved away taking my guitar with her. That guitar survived a 14 month stint on a remote weather station with me.

Cacophonix
23rd Sep 2013, 09:15
a batty old duck

She must have had a big batty indeed!

Caco

The late XV105
23rd Sep 2013, 09:52
My first calculator, the Sinclair Enterprise that was a birthday present from my parents in 1977 or 1978 (probably the latter).

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/assets/images/SinclairEnterprise_1.jpg

I still have (and use) its 1981 replacement.

http://mulder-thuis.nl/calculators/pictures/casio-fx82.jpg

1DC
23rd Sep 2013, 11:52
My cricket bat signed on the back by Len Hutton. Came home from sea one time and noticed it was missing, Mother said she gave it to the kid up the street because it was too small for me and i wouldn't need it anymore, she was sure i wouldn't mind!!.

500N
23rd Sep 2013, 12:16
XV105

I had the same Casio calculator.

innuendo
23rd Sep 2013, 12:39
The 1960 Lotus Elite I owned when I was a young lad in HM's service in Germany in the mid '60s.
I did learn a lot about fixing it during that time :hmm:

Blacksheep
23rd Sep 2013, 13:16
The past was destiny. You can only change the future.

I still wish I had all me teef though. :(

Limeygal
23rd Sep 2013, 14:04
Friends-some from school, some came along later. For whatever reason, I lost touch with, or had words with (don't even remember why)-I miss them