PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Beaufighter - Wreckage Found

Mr-Burns
21st Sep 2013, 04:40
Chaps.

I need some advice. A friend of mine works for an oil exploration company and they have found the wreckage of a Bristol Beaufighter on the sea bed during some exploratory work. He contacted me and asked if I could help. There are some great photographs of the aircraft (It's still pretty much intact) but time has taken its toll on the markings and the registration number isn't clear enough to read.

I have exhausted all official RAF / MOD channels but unfortunately, without the aircraft registration, they cant help. There were apparently numerous Beaufighter squadrons in the area during and after the war making it too difficult to pin down this exact one.

With the abundance of amateur aircraft historians out there, does anyone have any suggestions of where I can take it from here? It's definitely not been found before and is probably a war grave but I was hoping that someone may have investigated or researched crashes in this area and might be able to help. It would be great to identify the crew if they are still MIA.

I have purposely not mentioned where the site is to protect the identity of those involved (including mine :) ) It's no secret but if anyone thinks they can help then I'll give them all the details including photos taken by the oil company's ROV.

PM me if you want to know more.

Might be long shot but it's worth a try.

Thanks chaps,

Mr B

NutLoose
21st Sep 2013, 10:43
Fonts of all knowledge is often found on here, lots of historians etc.

Beaufighter found (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?126613-Beaufighter-found&p=2067844#post2067844)

Topsy Turvey
21st Sep 2013, 12:14
Mr B

I note you have spoken to the MoD but have you sent / copied the pictures to the Air Historic Branch. If you tell them the area in which the aircraft is located they will be able to narrow down the possible candidates from the Operational records they hold and if you or they can blow up the pictures and find any info on the airframe such as a serial number on a propeller / engine they should be able to ID the aircraft.

Good luck

TT

Martin the Martian
21st Sep 2013, 12:37
Air-Britain is also a fount of much collective information, and definitely worth getting touch with.

Air-Britain - Welcome to Air-Britain (http://www.air-britain.com/)

dubbleyew eight
21st Sep 2013, 12:44
which theatre of war?

the australian air force flew beaufighters

John Eacott
21st Sep 2013, 12:51
A rough idea of where on the globe would help, for starters. Or one of the photos?

Dad ditched a 603 Squadron Beau in the Ionian Sea and both he and his observer survived: I imagine there's a large proportion of Beau's that went down and the crew got out.

Rakshasa
21st Sep 2013, 12:57
Might want to pass on a word of caution to your mate, too. There's always a chance it's still carrying a torpedo or other ordnance.

Mr-Burns
21st Sep 2013, 13:26
Thanks All. AHB were really helpful but cant help without the registration. I sent them the photos too but they couldn't make out the registration. It's in the Mediterranean - South East of Cyprus. There were stacks of Beau squadrons around that area apparently. I'm gonna keep trying though.

Tiger_mate
21st Sep 2013, 13:51
The USAAF and RAF operated Beaufighters over the Med. Is it definately a Beaufighter, and are roundels visible as RAF.

A USAAF example being found may not tally up with any RAF records, and low level maritime protection fighting could quite easily see an aircraft ditch with or without enemy action.

NutLoose
21st Sep 2013, 14:25
Have you tried running the picture through photoshop, playing with the contrast etc can often make what you cannot see appear, such as codes.

CoffmanStarter
21st Sep 2013, 15:48
Nutty ... Wasted talents old chap ... You should have been in the Photographic Interpretation/Intelligence Branch :E

ShyTorque
21st Sep 2013, 16:33
He was, until they saw the photos he was interpreting....

NutLoose
21st Sep 2013, 18:24
Coff, have done it before on aircraft images, indeed they tried it on the image of the P-40 in the Sahara but it was to far gone to see anything much..
Heck you can even see through clothing with it, not that I'd want too.

I do remember a case where someone got done for speeding, his plate was clear as day, he asked for the original camera image, it was unreadable and the police had used it to correct the image.... Pleaded not guilty and the police had tampered with the evidence... Case was i believe thrown out.

Tashengurt
22nd Sep 2013, 20:24
Coff, have done it before on aircraft images, indeed they tried it on the image of the P-40 in the Sahara but it was to far gone to see anything
much..

Heck you can even see through clothing with it, not that I'd want too.

I do remember a case where someone got done for speeding, his plate was clear as day, he asked for the original camera image, it was unreadable and the police had used it to correct the image.... Pleaded not guilty and the police had tampered with the evidence... Case was i believe thrown out.

Indeed. Image enhancement is a legal minefield.
The law hasn't quite joined the digital revolution yet.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android