PDA

View Full Version : Active Noise Reduction

AssumeCrashPositions
25th Feb 2001, 16:19
Does anybody know the pros and cons of ANR headsets, or is there anyone who actually has a pair? I'm about to buy some and intend to use them a lot in the future and would like to know if anyone thinks it's worth the extra couple of hundred quid for the ANR ones. Cheers,

Andrew.

batty
25th Feb 2001, 20:29
I bought an ANR headset in the States 18 months ago and havn't looked back.
It is superb you can hear the radios 100% better and after a long flight your ears are not buzzing plus you do not have a headache from the noise.A couple of friends also have them and feel the same.
A couple of hundred quid extra, but what cost your hearing. Go for it I think they are great.

AssumeCrashPositions
25th Feb 2001, 22:01
Cheers batty,

I think it will be worth it - I plan on getting plenty of flying in over the rest of my life so might as well get somthing that's going to help.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

GA_Stinks
26th Feb 2001, 06:57
www.marvgolden.com (http://www.marvgolden.com) great selection of ANR headsets and alot cheaper than most pilot shops :)

NX211
26th Feb 2001, 11:39
Well Guys I can give you some input on this one - I am with a US aircarrier that has made available at reducedcost a very nice ANR headset - Sennheiser Model 45. It's a very good headset - very clear - does the noise cancellation thing very well - and get the one with the L/R adjustable module. That way you can tone down the ear closest to your flying partner - otherwise your headset will treat him like background noise - or you would need to use your interphone. I have the older model - so in many cases I put my earmuff closest to my FO behind my ear so I can hear him better.
You will like the experience of using one of these headsets. They also seem to have a nice overall effect as regards reducing fatigue.

batty
26th Feb 2001, 15:08
The one I have is a Lightspeed 15XL it cost approx £170 in the States but you can get them over here too. It is great as I said B4

AssumeCrashPositions
26th Feb 2001, 22:32
My instructor recommended that I only get David Clark ones, but they're much more expensive. What do you think? And thanks for the url GA and everyone's input.

Andrew.

batty
27th Feb 2001, 15:06
David Clark are very good but also very expensive! I have had no problems at all with my lightspeed, neither have my friends, its your money! The guarantees are the same!