PDA

View Full Version : Monster moves channel 5 8pm Canberra bomber from Coventry to Newquay

NutLoose
20th Sep 2013, 17:11
Part of the classic flight relocation to St Mawgan, just a heads up.

MightyGem
20th Sep 2013, 19:35
Come on old boy, keep up.
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/523783-canberra-ch5-friday.html

NutLoose
20th Sep 2013, 19:40
Wow they're moving two?

:E

Oops

P6 Driver
20th Sep 2013, 19:55
Interesting to see the dismantling but not so impressed with the haulage drivers - if I used non-hands free microphones while driving, I'd expect a possible fine & points.

goudie
20th Sep 2013, 20:30
According to the narrator it was petrol pouring from the fuel pipes!
I thought the CGG's were a tad over dramatic.
Having said that it's good to know she arrived safely and will be renovated for display.

big v
21st Sep 2013, 07:37
The aspiration to return WJ874 to airworthy condition was mentioned several times but the move team seemed to be getting fairly tasty with the aircraft, using impact drivers to remove skin fastenings etc. Perhaps a rigger can say whether such practice is usual or if the treatment would leave fatigue damage that could not be repaired.

You can tell me now if such practice was usual on the old things, I havn't flown in one for over 10 years now so I won't be worried!

Regards,

Vernon

Bill4a
21st Sep 2013, 07:56
Apart from the 'petrol' on the floor, trying to shift the fillet screws that hadn't moved for 30 years with first an electric screwdriver then an impact driver, and taking so long to realise they needed to be drilled out, followed by not recognising that if you take the top 2 mainplane bolts out all the weight is on the lower one, I yearned for someone from Crash and Smash to show him how to do it and cannot imagine what took them so long to dismantle it! But then, they did it in the end! I seem to remember shifting one on 3 Queen Mary's a long time ago, the wings were in 2 parts, and the nose was off, balanced it nicely! I could the hum of the many ex Canberra riggers spinning in their graves!
Agreed re the transport drivers.
Disgusted, Southend :}

dervish
21st Sep 2013, 08:35
Bill4a

Fully agree. I know a lot of MoD trained aircraft fitters who would have been cringing at some of the practices and tools used. On the other hand, new is always best! But they got there in the end and it will be great if the aircraft flies again. From what you could see she looked in good nick.

WE Branch Fanatic
21st Sep 2013, 08:55
What realistic chance does it have of being approved (for flight) by the CAA?

Winco
21st Sep 2013, 09:07
WBF - In a word - NONE

It was a total shambles IMHO.

Hardly anyone wearing hard hats, fuel pi$$ing about everywhere and a list as long as your arm of breaches of safety rules, not to mention health.

It looked like a bunch of complete amateurs at play, and when the wing swung around I was sure some poor guy was going to get hit by it.

Pleased to see it hasn't been scrapped but I thought the whole thing was a bit of a fiasco to be honest.

GeeRam
21st Sep 2013, 11:15
What realistic chance does it have of being approved (for flight) by the CAA?

Well, the CAA were quite happy for the same owners to operate the ex-Skorpion rocket motor record holding Canberra WK163 for nearly a decade until 2006 when it developed an engine problem. I believe they hope to have that one back in the air again next year after eventually finding a suitable replacement Avon with paperwork in the USA.

CoffmanStarter
21st Sep 2013, 12:11
If you missed the programme ... It's on Demand 5

Demand 5 Canberra Move (http://www.channel5.com/shows/monster-moves/episodes/big-bomber-monster-moves?show_ios_message=true)

Coff.

noprobs
22nd Sep 2013, 08:28
The previous episode of this series was also of interest. It told the story of the shipping of the 2 A4 steam locomotives now based in North America back to the UK to join the other 4 survivors at York for the celebration of the 75th anniversary of Mallard's record breaking high speed run.

On a rather bigger scale than the Canberra move, the challenges faced by the movers in getting the Dwight D Eisenhower and the Dominion of Canada out of their museum homes in the USA and Canada to the port of Halifax for transatlantic shipping meant that they struggled to meet the booked date.

At this point, some 30 minutes into the programme Episode 1: Titanic Train Trek | Monster Moves | Channel 5 (http://www.channel5.com/shows/monster-moves/episodes/monster-moves-titanic-train-trek) comes the link to military aviation. There is no comment, but if you look at the side of the freighter they ended up on, just before the locos are loaded, you will see its name: Atlantic Conveyor.

WH904
22nd Sep 2013, 18:42
They've said quite a few times that they do plan to get the T4 flying again one day and I don't see any reason to doubt them. Despite being pretty heavy handed, they obviously know a thing or two about restoring and operating aircraft so one assumed they'll do it one day. I'm looking forward to seeing the B6 back in the air - I just hope that they repaint it silver instead of keeping the silly B2 paint scheme that it never wore! Can't help wishing they'd repaint the Twin Pin in authentic colours too while they're refurbishing it but I guess that ain't gonna happen :(

I suppose the real show for Channel 5 would have been moving the Nimrod - if they ever get enough money to do it. I think they'll have to get pretty brutal with some saws to transport that machine down to St.Mawgan. You have to ask whether it would be cheaper to just restore the Nimrod to ferry standard and persuade the CAA to let 'em fly it down there! I suppose that as usual, such romantic notions are out of the question these days. CAA probably doesn't even have a European procedure for doing something that crazy!

Have to say that when I visited St.Mawgan last month, the collection they have down there is a real delight. Not only is it precisely located in my favourite spot in the whole country, but they have some really interesting aircraft, not least my beloved Varsity, which looks so much happier indoors even thought it's only partially re-assembled. I look forward to seeing the Shackleton back up there in front of the hangar. Who would have thought a Shackleton and a couple of Canberras would be parked in front of that hangar ever again? Now, if they can only complete the set and get the Nimrod down there... unless somebody's got a Lancaster GR3 hidden away somewhere too? :)

742-xx
22nd Sep 2013, 22:30
You have to ask whether it would be cheaper to just restore the Nimrod to ferry standard and persuade the CAA to let 'em fly it down there!

Far too much like common sense !

But what an idea ! Bring it on !

Fishtailed
22nd Sep 2013, 23:43
Hardly anyone wearing hard hats, and a list as long as your arm of breaches of
safety rules, not to mention health.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::yuk:

NutLoose
23rd Sep 2013, 00:18
Doubt the Grimrod would fly, I think the seized the APU on it, or that was the rumour, something to so about not priming it.

big v
23rd Sep 2013, 15:36
Fishtailed expressed most eloquently his views on a previous poster's reference to health & safety in relation to the Canberra move.

It's a well known fact that H&S gets in the way of proper people doing a proper job. It's a waste of time imposed by bl**dy government busybodies.

Strange then that the stats seem to show a marked reduction in workplace fatalities over the past 20 years. Perhaps it's something that is being taken seriously in the real world and is having an effect.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/images/fatals-fig1.gif

Of course the world was a far better place when more people were killed at work. It sorted out the men from the boys.

Vernon

dervish
23rd Sep 2013, 16:04
big v

Quite right. Any adverse comment about H&S should be accompanied by a proposal listing which rules should be scrapped, otherwise it is meaningless.