PDA

View Full Version : Bloom at it again

dead_pan
20th Sep 2013, 17:05
Well, here goes:

BBC News - UKIP's Godfrey Bloom under fire over 'demeaning' joke (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24175041)

Confronted afterwards about his remarks, Mr Bloom said: "All the girls said, 'None of us clean behind the back of the fridge' and I made a joke and said this place is full of sluts."

He emphasised it was a joke and said all the women present had "laughed".

I'm sure this thread will be fun while it lasts...

Capetonian
20th Sep 2013, 17:09
I'm sorry to say that despite my membership of, and support for, UKIP and its aims, this type of comment cannot do them any good and Bloom can only harm their image. He might be a good bloke to go down the boozer with and have a few pints but a politician in the public eye needs to button his lip a bit.

Flap 5
20th Sep 2013, 17:34
Two sides to this. You need an idiot who shoots his mouth off unwisely in public and you need a television journalist who spots an apparent slur and acts like a dog with a bone.

In this case idiot = Bloom
Dog with a bone = Michael Crick

Result = Storm in a tea cup.

I am sure there is a mathematical formula for it but, to be honest, I can't be bothered.

Cacophonix
20th Sep 2013, 18:09
This made me chuckle!

UKIP - The party is pixelated and judging by Mr Bloom's demeanour, it often is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/article8829475.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/v3-farage-moustache.jpg

Unfortunate BBC moustache for Nigel Farage - News - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/unfortunate-bbc-moustache-for-nigel-farage-8829452.html)

Shades of Father of Ted... ;)

Caco

Gloria.tv: Racism- What's the Church's Position? (http://en.gloria.tv/?media=103335)

Cacophonix
20th Sep 2013, 18:22
Bloom has had the party Whip withdrawn (whether from his posterior or his mouth is unclear as both seem to spout the same sort of thing).

Caco

dead_pan
20th Sep 2013, 18:40
The thing is, we've all done it - been down the pub, had a few too many, participated in heated conversations on "touchy" subjects, and in some cases may even agreed some of the more outrageous opinions aired by the resident boers. However, we generally go home, sleep it off, wake up the next morning, and wondered what on Earth we must have been thinking (or more likely not). We generally don't then go and seek out those bores and enourage them to run for political office, let alone ever contemplate voting for them. Or do we?

OFSO
20th Sep 2013, 19:27
Been there, done it - I got my girls, sorry, female staff, squealing when I once referred to them in the same way as Mr Bloom. Although being scrupulously clean in body if not mind, they knew I was joking.

RJM
20th Sep 2013, 21:12
I once worked in an office that was full of sluts (in the advertising profession, I have to say), and it was definitely more fun.

glad rag
20th Sep 2013, 21:17
So whats "the fridge" in this context? never heard of this before.

Cacophonix
20th Sep 2013, 21:23
to much laughter

Not surprising as Bloom is a joke, as is his party...

Let's just hope this band of jolly japesters never get anywhere near the levers of government as the joke might wear a little thin for the rest of us then...

If Bloom had thought about what he was gabbling about he might have used the word 'slattern'. As it is he has usurped airtime from his glorious leader and once again shown UKIP up for the nincompoops they are. Long may he prosper...

Caco

RJM
20th Sep 2013, 21:26
I think it's just 'the fridge', glad rag, although the possibilities are intriguing.

I agree that the insult thing is overdone. It's possibly more to do with desperate journalists exploiting political correctness to get themselves published or heard than to PC itself.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Sep 2013, 21:28
(1) Local candidate in the county council elections found guilty of election fraud.

(2) PPC sacked after 24 when he was revealed to have been involved in a racing fraud (he hadn't declared this to the party when seeking the candidacy as he didn't think it was a big deal).

(3) Some MEP sacked for something, didn't bother to check what.

(4) Some other UKIP person filmed assualting a journo (yes I know we've all felt like doing that from time to time, but FFS make sure there aren' any cameras pointed at you first).

All in the last few days!

Whilst on the whole I'm in favour of UKIP, as they do a useful job splitting the Tory vote, I really do think they need to have a look at their vetting procedures! ... but I suppose a competent vetting procedure does presuppose that you've got enough sane people to sit on the panels, which is beginning to look as if that might be their problem.

Cacophonix
20th Sep 2013, 21:35
as they do a useful job splitting the Tory vote

True and they appear to have no meaningful policies save for appealing to the narrower populist prejudices of the average Daily Mail reader...

It will be at the hands of these types that a once great country will finally be brought down...in shame and to worldwide derision.

Godfrey Bloom on drink and drugs in European Parliament - YouTube

Caco

dead_pan
20th Sep 2013, 22:02
So whats "the fridge" in this context? never heard of this before.

I thought it was a euphemism of some sort, maybe along the lines of bowling from the pavilion end?

I'm beginning to think UKIP are doing a rather good job regarding raising awareness of non-issues and encouraging us to vote against whatever they're in favor of, much like the SNP are doing for their policy centre-piece. Role on the EU referendum with UKIP flag-waving on behalf of the 'out' campaign...

vulcanised
20th Sep 2013, 22:28
raising awareness of non-issues

Instead of concentrating on the important things like plastic bags?

Ronald Reagan
20th Sep 2013, 22:37
UKIP are the best party in the UK as they did not support UK military action in Syria so for that reason alone they deserve much respect.

dead_pan
20th Sep 2013, 23:25
UKIP are the best party in the UK as they did not support UK military action in Syria so for that reason alone they deserve much respect.

Err, sorry to prick your little ballon but so did Labour I recall. I haven't checked but I doubt the Greens, the SNP and various other narrow minority interest protest parties supported military intervention either. Oh and Nick Griffin also did his bit in swinging the vote according to, erm, Nick Griffin - I'm sure his open letter must have persuaded lots of MPs...

BBC News - BNP's Nick Griffin claims he 'influenced' Syria vote (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23942041)

(I'm not of course implying that Mr Griffin has any association with UKIP, well other than possibly ideological)

dead_pan
20th Sep 2013, 23:32
I have to say JB does seem a little quiet of late. Where are all the usual UK political protagonists? Have they finally conceded defeat in the face of superior arguments and/or sobered up? Or have the mods banished them all en-masse?

There was a time not so long ago a thread on this subject would have already been running to tens of pages.

Ronald Reagan
20th Sep 2013, 23:44
Very true dead pan. But sadly Liebour are tarnished with Iraq, one can never trust them again. If they get into power they will likely be itching for another war! Maybe the ''Cons'' can then pretend to be against it just like Liebour did now! The sad old game of lies can continue which is essentially what it is.
It won't end until those two parties cease to dominate UK politics.

Tankertrashnav
21st Sep 2013, 00:37
I think its a shame that Nige has chosen to lead UKIP. Given the standard of competition among the other party leaders ie Call me Dave, Milligoon and Cleggers he'd lead the popularity race by a mile, if it weren't for the small detail of the bunch of prats he's got behind him.

Re "sluts" it used to be a badge of honour among the feminist brigade to consider themselves sluts, in the sense that they couldnt care less about housework. Of course Bloom obviously meant it that way too, but didn't have the nous to realise it would be leapt upon by all and sundry and taken the wrong way. Walking disaster springs to mind.

Cacophonix
21st Sep 2013, 07:27
Mr Bloom certainly makes British 'politics' more interesting and amusing and I would certainly buy him a pint if I met him but as for voting for him... hmmm ;).

Caco

Lon More
21st Sep 2013, 07:57
Has Nick Griffin ben scribbling on toilet walls again?

MG23
21st Sep 2013, 08:01
Very true dead pan. But sadly Liebour are tarnished with Iraq, one can never trust them again.

As much as I despise Labour, nearly a hundred of their MPs voted against invading Iraq, vs only a handful of Conservatives. Without the resounding Conservative support, Blair would have lost the vote. So the Conservatives have to take far more blame for it than Labour.

As for Bloom, I suspect his apparent indifference to political correctness is gaining his party more support than it's losing. People who care about that kind of thing wouldn't be voting for them in the first place.

Of course a UKIP government in 2015 would be a disaster, but so would a Labour or Conservative government. None of them really have a clue about how to turn Britain around.

Flap 5
21st Sep 2013, 22:20
The problem with UKIP is that the television and newspaper media are strongly biased against them and will jump on any remark of this type. It was a stupid remark but in the context it was just that, a silly thing to say. Unfortunately the media will latch on to it and blow it up out of all proportion.

It is not going to go away and may well damage UKIP's chances in future elections. The media people definitely will want that and will bring it up every time UKIP is mentioned in future.

MG23
21st Sep 2013, 22:55
The problem with UKIP is that the television and newspaper media are strongly biased against them and will jump on any remark of this type.

Obviously. The mass media are mostly left-wing europhiles, so they'll attack any anti-EU party any time they get the opportunity.

But I think we can safely say that most people likely to vote UKIP don't much care what the mass media say any more.

Lon More
22nd Sep 2013, 07:55
The mass media are mostly left-wing europhiles,
You won't sell many newspapers by telling people something they don't want to hear. Conversely, give them what they want and you'll get rich. Makes the majority of voters left-wing Europhiles.

Krystal n chips
22nd Sep 2013, 08:05
For all those on here, and indeed, in the wider world who continue to suffer from delusions ( medical help is still available on the N.H.S, not yet sold off to the private sector in case you were concerned as to the costs involved ) this little gem....:ok: is priceless, not simply for the entertainment value, but also as to the, ahem, quality, of UKIP as an organisation.....

Thwack! MEP's blunders derail Ukip party conference - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/ukips-godfrey-bloom-biffs-michael-crick)

Michael Crick is a very capable journalist who tends to get under the skin of politicians, all hues, and asks questions the species as a whole would prefer he didn't...the sort of questions a lot of the public would like to ask, but are not allowed to given that politicians distance themselves as matter of political survival from the electorate.

Before the accusations of bias begin however, with regard to C4 News, last night Cathy Newman, a lady who is also a very capable journalist, gave a Labour spokesman nothing short of an intensive grilling....the cracks were just beginning to show when, sadly, the interview to be terminated.

However, back to fruit loop central and, a, well, "impassioned" speech by a certain Mr Hamilton, formerly Tory, but now having defected to UKIP which is his natural home given the parties stances.

The ahem, "speech" was intended to rally and inspire the troops. Some of the hand gestures were rather reminiscent of the not too distant past in Europe, but, sadly, unlike the orator in question here, the inspiration only induced tears of laughter when viewed.

At least during the next election, we can look forward to some much needed humour when UKIP attempt to be serious and credible.....even though this will never be the case in reality.

aviate1138
22nd Sep 2013, 09:47
K'n chips
"At least during the next election, we can look forward to some much needed humour when UKIP attempt to be serious and credible.....even though this will never be the case in reality."

You mean like looking forward to more of Ecoloon Cameron's 'saving the planet' with renewable smoke and mirrors?

Or Ed Milipede's inane ramblings, allied to huge mega debt incurring schemes, to gain
votes from the unemployable and the grant grabbing euro fled immigrants.

UKIP seems in with a chance to become the third party [pigs might fly] :rolleyes:

MG23
22nd Sep 2013, 19:47
You won't sell many newspapers by telling people something they don't want to hear. Conversely, give them what they want and you'll get rich. Makes the majority of voters left-wing Europhiles.

You may not have noticed, but mass media sales are currently in free-fall.