PDA

View Full Version : Of mice, men...and cats

airship
20th Sep 2013, 13:29
According to this BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24142753): Mice 'can lose innate fear of cats'.

Reading further down, it appears that the bacteria responsible for the mices' loss of fear etc. are in fact most importantly, secreted in the faeces of the felines which the mice for whatever reasons tend to munch on.

I'm just wondering, "as someone who believes that cats are great" today, (though as a child I preferred dogs), whether or not these bacteria transmitted to mice may also have affected my own sensibilities somehow...?

I did ask one of my current pudicats for her opinions on the subject. She sort of gave me a yawn before going back to sleep. Perhaps she has an answer, but that will have to wait obviously.

But this latest research does intrigue me to the extent that some chemicals / pheremones etc. might well have important affects on us humans, mostly unknown to this day. Not too worrying when it comes to felines perhaps - "we're already their servants after all?" :hmm:

And no wonder that when GIs get home after many months of service far away, YouTube has numerous videos of dogs "welcoming back" their carers / masters of the households etc. But very few (or zero) of cats doing same. I'm thinking that our cats know something that we're only just beginning to understand (perhaps worried now that some secrets may be unfolding). And dogs remain completely ignorant of...

OFSO
20th Sep 2013, 13:31
A late evening homecoming after five days in London
By my door waits the little black cat
Wild after three years of feeding, it still runs from me
But once I caught it
and sat it on my lap
and stroked it
and it crouched down and quietly purred
But next day it had forgotten, and ran from me again.

airship
20th Sep 2013, 14:07
A very nice (may I call it a poem?) OFSO. Alas, I have the same problem with one of my other pudicats - finally caught him and had him castrated, tried for 1 month in July 2010 to get him used to us and living in apartment with "volets closed"...?! Nowadays comes to eat every night (and visit his protégé and friend Grey Kitten whom he once raised), but prefers to live an independent and wild existence (I understand the discrepancies involved - when he comes down to eat, he expects to find fresh chicken mince and fillet portions, some Whiskas, fresh milk and croquettes ). But he's a cat, and you either love or hate them. In the former case, you just make do.

Let me get this straight: Whatever bacteria etc. is contained in pudicats' feaces have probably already infested my brain...?! Which is why I have this sudden urge to delete this thread. Pudicat is awakening from her slumbers. It's Friday isn't it? Which means "fresh-prawns" does it not? So log-out of PPRuNe and get out the suitably-chilled prawns if you know what's good for you? That's right, squeeze off their heads, peel-away their shells, leaving just the juicy tails, torn-down to suitably-sized pudicat-sized portions...

Someone, please help me escape...?! ;)

DX Wombat
20th Sep 2013, 14:31
Don't be daft airship, stay and continue to update us on matters feline. :ok:

SASless
20th Sep 2013, 14:33
I have had a Chinese Parliament with my Crew of three, Commodore Frady (former ship's cat and sniffer of all things), Sissy....my very lady like Siamese, and Gabby the Talker and shoulder warmer.

They allowed their devoted efforts to examine Mice in every manner possible met with the decision that said mice, moles, and other furry varmits, resolved around their being fine feline feed.

Gabby is quite serious about displaying the experiments.....Sissy is above such juvenile shows of enthusiasm.....and the Commodore simply is not amused by such dither.

During the Crew Meeting....I refreshed their acquaintance with the SOP that bars introduction of Snakes into the Accommodation Block. That is a recurring practice here as there are some varieties of shoulderless critters that really are not welcome despite the Crew's desire to display all hunting trophies to the culinary staff.

Um... lifting...
20th Sep 2013, 14:44
You bet. Absolutely.

How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy - Kathleen McAuliffe - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/308873/)

Shack37
20th Sep 2013, 15:49
Airship, you have to be realistic. Would you want to live with someone who'd had you castrated? However, continue to love them, there is a satisfaction, even if they only respond when it suits them. It's the nature of the beast.:ok:

cattletruck
20th Sep 2013, 15:54
Think I may call my new cat Toxo or Flegr.

SASless
20th Sep 2013, 16:18
Upon reflection....if my Cat's poop is filled with Rodent carcasses.....why shouldn't other Rodents not connect said Poop with the Depositor being related to them....even if at some distance.

OFSO
20th Sep 2013, 18:00
Would you want to live with someone who'd had you castrated?

It's called a WIFE, Shack, a WIFE. Gee you should have learned that at your age. I have.

However, continue to love them, there is a satisfaction, even if they only respond when it suits them. It's the nature of the beast.

That is so very true. And the same applies to cats, also.

jimtherev
20th Sep 2013, 19:52
In a fit of impishness, I called my last cat Rover, and he returned the compliment.
In a fit of impishness, he did.
Ain't seen him since.

ShyTorque
20th Sep 2013, 19:56
when it comes to felines perhaps - "we're already their servants after all?"

Each to their own. Not round these parts; cats aren't welcome here, for a number of reasons.

Limeygal
20th Sep 2013, 20:20
Knowing his love of cats, I'm surprised Milo hasn't shown up yet :E

500N
20th Sep 2013, 20:29
I'm like you Shy although it is harder to keep them at bay.

LimeyGal
Agree, am surprised Milo hasn't appeared.

ShyTorque
20th Sep 2013, 20:46
I'm like you Shy although it is harder to keep them at bay.

The dogs here hate cats. I don't hate them but I'm allergic and I dislike their habits.

Fantome
20th Sep 2013, 20:52
um . . .. . lifting ,. . .. . . .. .. that's a brilliant piece of reporting from The Atlantic.

That toxoplasma gondii organism, if as prevalent as Jaroslav Flegr's research would indicate, goes a long way to explaining the irrational behaviour of many whose lives are closely wrapped up with the feline, as in domestic cats.

A high level of personal hygiene may be the first line of defence for those who cannot or will not rid their homes of the risk.

how convenient though. For my oddities that some have labelled
schizoid, I can now blame a long line of adored cats.

pretty suggestive stuff to give to cat loving hypochondriacs to read

The Atlantic article ends -

Twelve of the 44 schizophrenia patients who underwent MRI scans, the team found, had reduced gray matter in the brain—and the decrease occurred almost exclusively in those who tested positive for T. gondii. After reading the abstract, I must have look stunned, because Flegr smiles and says, “Jiri had the same response. I don’t think he believed it could be true.” When I later speak with Horacek, he admits to having been sceptical about Flegr’s theory at the outset. When they merged the MRI results with the infection data, however, he went from being a doubter to being a believer. “I was amazed at how pronounced the effect was,” he says. “To me that suggests the parasite may trigger schizophrenia in genetically susceptible people.”

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Sep 2013, 05:27
One has to wonder if there is not perhaps a bit of chicken and egg going on there. The looniest furniture chewers I dated had pretty much to a woman never kept a cat, while those who did have cats were relatively normal by comparison.

airship
21st Sep 2013, 12:27
Um... lifting..., what a fascinating article in your link. Goes far beyond anything I ever imagined when posting this thread.

And easily explains almost everything (bad) that's afflicted humanity over the past several hundred years at least. And no wonder that my pudicat chooses to remain silent (preferring to feign sleepiness)...

Did Hitler like pudicats? What about Stalin? Or the Serbians? Or Sadaam Hussein? Or Gaddafi? Or Syria's -Al Bashar? And maybe it's why gays are gay? Or paedophiles are pedos? :ok:

What it does undoubtedly show is the infancy of modern psychiatric medicine, treatment and research and their so-called experts, who regularly partake in 10s of thousands of incarcerations each year worldwide, in conspiracy with the courts.

Smoking is bad for you. That's why we make you pay so much in taxes to continue to enjoy your bad habits. We could (might well be able to) "cure you" with sufficient investment and research perhaps, but it's much more lucrative for the government to simply tax you upto the hilt when it comes to your vices. As someone who likes cats, surely you can understand when your government prefers to ignore you, just like your cats... :confused:

radeng
21st Sep 2013, 12:41
My two Burmese sister cats would never lower themselves to actually EAT a mouse - or a vole - or a shrew. They either kill them and leave them outside, or bring them into the house alive to enable the humans to learn how to catch such things. Or on one occasion, leave three mouse corpses on the fireplace surround. Cat food is accepted, but roast lamb/pork/turkey/chicken/ham/beef is preferred. Haslet and tuna are also happily accepted.

OFSO
21st Sep 2013, 13:01
The first cat café has opened in the Marais, Paris, today, where human patrons can stroke etc. one of nine cats donated to the café by a local animal shelter. The cats are all happy with strangers and are free to come and go. To anyone who knows the Marais, the Jewish Quarter, with its quiet and narrow streets, this makes good sense. Although I do wonder if it will be a case of nine tomorrow and ninety next year......

(Jewish mice, you have been warned !)

SASless
21st Sep 2013, 13:40
Love them or Hate them....Cats are very interesting critters.

Usually those that hate them.....are very insecure people who need constant slavering adoration and find it in Dogs. I see it as confirming the old adage about "Going to the Dogs!".

Cat people are quite secure in their lives and see the wisdom Cats bring to the mix.

As to Cats making one Mad....my three were quite late to the affair.

What makes you crazy is knowing that the evil little bastards will pee on your Pillow if you make them angry.....much as the Human Female.....Cats will get you back in the most cruel and hurtful ways.

Isn't that why we are so taken by "Cat Woman"?

Flame Lily FX
21st Sep 2013, 15:11
De Poezenboot, Amsterdam.

http://soniarevankar.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/poezenboot.jpg?w=497&h=256

On one of the canals of Amsterdam, has a long house boat occupied by stray cats of the city called the Poezenboot. Imagine how rich these cats must be to own a house boat? After all, if people can live in them, why not cats? It was quite dilapitated but now it lives on and is taken care of some enthusiastic cat lovers of Amsterdam!

dazdaz1
21st Sep 2013, 15:20
SAS....."What makes you crazy is knowing that the evil little bastards will pee on your Pillow if you make them angry.....much as the Human Female"

This has given me a 'stiffy' could you PM any websites?:E:E

SASless
21st Sep 2013, 15:59
Cats......Grrrrrrh! Sis Kitty, my blue eyed blonde Siamese....laying on my desk....getting her tits fondled.....slowly but with certainty....squeaking like crazy (no purrs from this one)....pushed the In/Out Box (and contents) onto the floor.....then rolled over and smiled....smiled! She gets much more delight in the clearing of my desk than she does the cuddling.

If you did not love'em.....you would kill'em, skin 'em, tan their hides, and make Davey Crockett style Hats out of them!

ShyTorque
21st Sep 2013, 16:49
What makes you crazy is knowing that the evil little bastards will pee on your Pillow if you make them angry.....much as the Human Female.....Cats will get you back in the most cruel and hurtful ways.

I've never had a woman pee on my pillow to get me back. Having said that, I've never peed on a woman's pillow in the first place. I'm obviously too nice to 'em. :eek:

But cats also have some other pretty foul habits apart from their propensity to infect their owners with a nasty parasite.

Lon More
22nd Sep 2013, 07:11
Mies aka Broodje, rudely awoken

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/img331.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/img331.jpg.html)

and a two-for-one with Tijger

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/img176.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/img176.jpg.html)

Lon More
22nd Sep 2013, 07:23
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/fingercat.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/fingercat.jpg.html)

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2013, 07:29
I got up this morning to make a cup of tea and our ginger monster came and rubbed himself against my leg, so I bent down and stroked him, in return for which gesture of brotherly friendship I got bitten. He then yowled so I put food in his bowl, at which he dived like a kamikaze pilot, pushing me and the bag of food out of the way.

Then he's on the bed, and hissed at me when I settled in for a read and disturbed him.

Who was the poster who thought all cats should be destroyed? I'm not in favour of cruelty to animals but I'm starting to think that way.

airship
23rd Sep 2013, 15:18
Perhaps Capetonian should instead be grateful and reflect that "he was deemed worthy of any attention at all" from said feline/s... ;)

PS. Funny how I can almost feel the bacteria eating up my brain even as I write this. Or perhaps this is all a CIA - Ultra-conservative right-wing USA initiative (same ones and those who intentionally introduced HIV to Africa generally and gay communities worldwide specifically)...?! :sad:

OFSO
23rd Sep 2013, 15:28
Afteer three years feeding her my little feral jumped up and sat on the outside bench beside me today. I know it was a matter of wanting food, but still felt pleased.

What is this hold these wanton felines have over us, no matter how bitter and spiteful they can be, the coming home late, or staying out all night, the spitting and cursing, licencious fornication with all and sundry, the peeing on pillows, and the occasional feigned affection - no matter how we know it's all "cupboard love" caused by wanting something....we still love them. And the same goes for cats.

airship
23rd Sep 2013, 15:39
OFSO, it's increasingly a wild world. So perhaps some of us take sustenance wherever it is available. Whilst it's still there...

Cat Stevens "Wild World" - YouTube

SASless
23rd Sep 2013, 15:47
Sissy decided to be a Roof Rabbit this morning.....the act of getting from the Dogwood Tree to the roof would do honor to the Wallenda's as I have trimmed away any limb that would possibly allow her access to/from the Roof. I watched he do the "Leap of Faith" on her way down.....that Cat is crazier than I ever was.

What ever does get into those Feline Minds?

ShyTorque
23rd Sep 2013, 15:53
What ever does get into those Feline Minds?

I reckon it's because in days gone by, their owners/servants have made the occasional leap of faith, too. :E

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Sep 2013, 17:04
I've never had a woman pee on my pillow to get me back. Having said that, I've never peed on a woman's pillow in the first place.

Know a bloke who coiled out a Mr Whippy on a woman's pillow one morning. Ended up marrying her.

Nani
23rd Sep 2013, 17:41
flarty flerret

Bloody cats. Shoot them all.

You go,girl!:p

OFSO
23rd Sep 2013, 20:58
Ended up marrying her.

Presumably she just loved Hot Lunches. Personally I don't care for Breakfast in Bed......

lomapaseo
24th Sep 2013, 00:08
Not wishing to start another cat thread

I have a problem with my 3 y.o. neutered cat who likes the outdoors and the good life indoors as the only pet of the house.

For the last two weeks while on vacation my daughter took the cat into her house for minding while we went on vacation. My daughter has one adult cat , two kittens and one small yapping dog. According to my daughter things did not go well and my cat growled, scratched and bit my daughter and was generally a PITA. The upshot of this is my cat is no longer welcome in her house when my wife and I go away.

We're going away again in a few months for an extended period, but now we have no family members that will take this cat from hell. My wife wants to pay somebody to come into our house while we are away and house sit the cat. I vetoed this idea as no cat is worth the trouble or expense so we are now at an impasse.

Any ideas. ?

As a last resort I have no compunctions about giving the cat up for whatever options are available including having it put to sleep. My thinking is that it can always be replaced by a cute kitten that can be more easily loaned out while we're away next time.

airship
24th Sep 2013, 17:01
flarty flerret wrote: I'm sure Milo raised this toxoplasmosis screws the brain issue and got roundly abused for it. And I'm sure Airship wanted to shoot him for saying it.....
funny what short memories some people have I do admit to having past altercations with said Milo "mind-bender" on various subjects. The "mind-bender" in the username was a great "give-away" perhaps, and why I should certainly have steered well clear, but this is JB and sometimes we all push the limits and/or get carried away. Perhaps you are Milo's reincarnation...?!

lomapaseo wrote: As a last resort I have no compunctions about giving the cat up for whatever options are available including having it put to sleep. My thinking is that it can always be replaced by a cute kitten that can be more easily loaned out while we're away next time. Are you in "Milo" mode and being truly serious?! Pets (doesn't matter if they're cats, dogs, lizards, alligators or pythons etc.) are for life. If you can't understand that, then please don't "adopt" anymore "pets". :} FWIW, I attempted to bring home an old cat whom I had been feeding regularly but which had been basically abandonned by his owner after she adopted a puppy. "They did not get on well", and the old cat was obliged / preferred to live outside at the entrance to the apartment building. The people in the office on the ground-floor used to feed him sometimes, I eventually built a well-insulated "cat-house" out of a storage box in which he spent his 1st winter, under their air-conditioners. As winter turned to spring, then summer, one of the office girls even took "Moustique" to her vet, worried about his state. The vet's diagnosis was that he was a very old cat, and had few months to live. Noone wanted to put him down (in place of his original owner still living there). Another winter came. One cold night at about 11pm, he was there, as always, waiting to be fed on the steps to the building's entrance. So I fed him as usual. But I'd had a bit too much to drink that day perhaps. And I said to him, "You wait there, I'm going to fetch the cat-carrier, you're going to come home with me and spend the rest of your days with us..." So he came home, but he was immediately extremely aggresive towards my only other cat at the time (a small sterilised-female), I was expecting my "Qui'taime" to be the one who showed any aggressivity, she was curious but no more than this before being quite savegly attacked - so I was completely wrong. "Moustique" actually started "hunting-down" little "Qui'taime", attempting to eject her (the resident) from his new-found home...?! :sad: So by 2AM, "Moustique" was back in his home. To cut a long story short, in the spring, some "aniumal-protection nutter" who believed "Moustique" was being ill-treated made an official complaint. His "official" owner was contacted by the authorities. The same day, without any further ado or consultation, she apparently took "Moustique" to a vet and had him put to sleep...

lomapaseo, do you have any idea what it actually costs to put an animal "to sleep"? Quite a lot more than what you expected obviously. Otherwise, you'd simply consider keeping your present feline and paying the modest costs for an independent and professional "cat-hotel" to accommodate her whilst you're next on holiday. But I believe you already knew all that, just trying to string everyone along. Which you certainly did accomplish so far as I'm concerned. It's all a bit of fun or amusement to some at the end of the day, innit? :}

SASless
24th Sep 2013, 21:09
Lom....I would suggest the Wife put you out of the house, hire a Lawyer to make you destitute and refer you to a good Hospice.

To end a Critter's life because they are an inconvenience to you is something I just cannot fathom. But then I believe God created the Monkey because he was disappointed in Man.

My three Cats are a burden when it comes to my traveling....however Laura the Cat Nanny works a treat for Twenty Dollars a Day. She comes in and not only feeds the rascals but provides them some real Quality Time as well.

Man up and spend the money.....or find a home for the Cat. There are no other options to be discussed in my view.

hamayam
24th Sep 2013, 21:27
" We're going away again in a few months for an extended period, but now we have no family members that will take this cat from hell. My wife wants to pay somebody to come into our house while we are away and house sit the cat. I vetoed this idea as no cat is worth the trouble or expense so we are now at an impasse.

Any ideas. ? "

Have you any friends/ acquaintances ( PPRuNers even? ) who are cat friendly, live in an area of the US that suffers from real winters and would welcome a Florida winter vacation ?

Nani
25th Sep 2013, 05:59
loma,

Putting a single cat in a kennel (check your local kennels or your vet's office) will be much cheaper than having a pet sitter coming around daily.

You can also ask around for a foster home for the duration of your absence,most foster homes are equipped to deal with "cats/dogs from hell" and you may have to pay them for taking in and working to solve your kitty's unfriendly cattitude towards small yappy dog,kittens and adult cat...hmmm...coming from a single cat kingdom to face so many other critters,I'd be doing more than just growling,scratching and biting.:)

airship
25th Sep 2013, 15:33
Nani, "long time no see"...?! I know you prefer horses these days. So far as I'm concerned, the photo/s of you in the JB photo thread, of a (much younger) Nani as I recall, still torment me. How could such an extraordinarily beautiful woman (going by the old photo/s) go by un-noticed...?! Or are you married to an ex. movie-star or something?

At the end of the day though, today, all that matters is that we're as generous towards other human-beings and animals, as we've been treated ourselves I guess.

In the last catastrophique eruption of Vesuvius in 79AD, it might have been me, cradling a cat in his arms, attempting to escape the destruction. I believe I was present there. Earlier, like Patton, I believe I was in other places. For example, as an ordinary foot-soldier in the Carthaginian forces fighting agianst the Romans ca. 202BC.

Why do I not spray ordinary flies with insecticide sprays? Or ignore the shrill cries of a juvenile sea-gull crying to be fed? I am, and/or was everyone and everything at some stage in the past... :confused:

SASless
25th Sep 2013, 16:17
Putting the poor ol' Kitty in Prison just so you can go on Holiday seems awfully unfair.....what crime did the Cat commit to deserve incarceration in a very confined space amongst all the noise, disease, and filth?

AtomKraft
25th Sep 2013, 16:47
There's a couple of companies near to us (Nannies for Pets- Paws and Claws) that look after your cats (and chickens) in your home while away on hols.

They're really not at all dear, and do a nice job.

lomapaseo
25th Sep 2013, 17:15
Putting the poor ol' Kitty in Prison just so you can go on Holiday seems awfully unfair.....what crime did the Cat commit to deserve incarceration in a very confined space amongst all the noise, disease, and filth?

Yes I sometimes think that way myself, but then I think about the pet snakes and spiders and say what the hell is the difference, would their life be any better off not adopted by man.

does any animal have feelings? or does it just survive on instinct? (food, sex and fear)

If I have improved its life by adopting it for my benefit and then diminished one of the three above for a while, is that bad? Hell I could just let it roam free in the backyard where it can play with the birds, squirrels and mice to its hearts content.

Anyhow thanks for the suggestions above, I'll investigate them :)

radeng
25th Sep 2013, 21:00
loma asked

>does any animal have feelings? <

Judging by the way the cats will jump on my knee, climb on the bed to cuddle up AFTER they've been fed, I can only assume that they do have feelings for their humans, even though said humans are regarded as being inferior and unintelligent beings...

A sort of 'noblesse oblige'.

radeng
25th Sep 2013, 21:23
I am a bit dubious as to whether either Yumyum or Pittising are capable of rational thought....

SASless
25th Sep 2013, 21:29
Do they have feelings.....oh my yes!

If you will listen....they talk to you.

When the Commodore decides to grace me with his presence in the evening.....he usually flops down on the carpet with his back to me.

Talk to someone and he just lays there.....speak to him....and that ol' tail will flip flop about with decision. Stop talking to him and the tail just lays there. Raise your voice and point that imperial finger at him when he beats up on the Gurl Kitties....and the look on his face is so full of hurt (or silent contempt).

ShyTorque
25th Sep 2013, 22:04
Any ideas. ? "

Why not just send the cat by air-mail?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/Catcopter_zpsc57a8ddb.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/shytorque/media/Catcopter_zpsc57a8ddb.jpg.html)

G-CPTN
25th Sep 2013, 22:26
BBC News - Embalmer Liz Davis relaxes by stuffing and dressing mice (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-24229799)